1990 GSX - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
1990 GSX

yup, my new project.

bought it from my buddy who said he locked up the motor because he setup his FPR up wrong and was running 100psi at the rail when it should be 35ish, thusly he figured he washed the cylinder walls and siezed the motor. pulled the head and all looked good and the bottom end turned but was tight in some degrees and made a scratching sound. later figured out that was due to the crank pulley interacting in not-good ways with the timing belt cover.

plan was to pull the piston/rods with the motor in-car, rehone and re-ring and reinstall. well got that part good, but upon turning the crank to re-install the #2 and #3 pistons one of the piston studs chipped the crank surface. i didnt notice it till everything was buttoned up and i went to spin the motor by hand, got 90* and it stopped. pulled the caps off and my #2's lower bearing was scored, due to the chip in the crank.

so i have to get a new crank, and in doing so, found a 4g64 crank (2.4L) is CHEAPER than a 4g63 one. but you need special rod/piston combo for it to work, because the 2.4 crank is 100mm whereas the 2.0 is only 88mm of travel. Ill be going with a Mahle piston and Manley rod combo. gonna run 1100$ for the rotating assembly and im guessing another ~400$ to bore/hone/clean the block. with this setup its actually a 2.3L, to make a real 2.4L i would need a 4g64 block.

which returns us to why the motor was "seized" in the first place. took a look at the head and the exhaust cam was seized in its guides. pulled off the last two guides and they have quarter-deep grooving in them for whatever reason (debris during rebuild from a crappy rebuilder likely), i was able to rule out oil flow because when you put the head on a slope oil came out of the oilers just fine.

fuel support is already in place save for injectors. i will likely run a stock turbo while breaking in the motor and then swap up to a ball bearing 50 trim. im shooting for 400-450whp with a very linear feeling powerband (thusly the 2.3L + BB50trim), as i will likely use it for mostly track only, be it autox/roadcourse or drag. if i decide to stick to drag, itll be getting a bb60 trim.

and heres the kicker, the guy i bought it from is our smog hookup, so i can do whatever the hell i want to the car and get away with it (unless i get reffed down the road). car already has a full 3" turboback exhaust with a gutted cat, and a front mount ic (i will probably need to redo the piping route later down the road).

"beauty" shots

the cage

the actual problem

block teardown

degreasing the **** out of the engine bay

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer
Re: 1990 GSX

nice...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Hell of a project man. Wish I had the patience and talent to do that stuff.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

That thing will be pretty quick once it's running again.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

keep us updated. looks like a worthy project.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Sweet !!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

So new Plan.

Just spoke to a very reputable dsm'er that came to our meet saturday, has a 2.3L stroker and says it isnt worth the price. Basically said to do it right, do the true 2.4L or dont do it at all. Said he didnt feel much of a difference and said on the same turbo he only saw a increase of boost response by 300rpm, and thats on a bb60trim.

So basically that just about killed that. Not to mention we are currently planning on remodeling the front bathroom and kicking out that wall a good 2-3' into the garage area, and they want to start by summer. So car has to get running and onto the street (i plan on paying to Epoxy the garage floor too, seeing we have to rip everything out anyways, might as well make it look nice!)

So im gonna just pick up a 2.0 Crank used for 50$ this week hopefully (if the dude calls back) and get the car put back together and running.

Went a bit crazy with the block, sprayed it Blue and it was really bright, finally they restocked Ford Blue and had a go with that, and it matches the car perfect. Sprayed the Valve Cover with the MetalCast stuff (supposed to mimick Anodized coatings) and that turned out pretty nice for a rattlecan. Also tested out the Red stuff and it matches Redfire perfectly, so i might finally get around to doing my Plug Covers and **** on the Cobra.

i dunno bout the red. I think i might get the car nicknamed Superman or something with that look. Gonna get some Bronze Metalcast tomorrow and use that instead.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
Regular

Very nice man

Reddit
Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Wow so we have come quite a ways since my last update.

Motor is installed. **** that was red is now bronze (you cant see it anymore).

Got a full AC system, PS System all from the local Pick n Pull. got literally another entire box of bolts, any screw/bolt/nut we could pull off this one 1g we found there we gaffled. i was missing so many nuts/bolts just from the previous ****ty owners. There isnt a bolt/nut missing on anything i took apart or put back together now, every bolt and nut is there and tightened to factory spec.

Got a 14b turbo (stock 1g turbo) and put that in. Started to get everything buttoned up and realized with the FMIC kit that was on there, it would not let me run any intake combo, be it the stock canister or a 2nd gen MAS setup, there was just no room (methinks the previous previous owner ran a Blow-Through MAF setup and just stuck the filter on the turbo). So sometimes you gotta go backwards before going forwards.

old fmic removed:

new fmic being fabbed up:

new short route piping (look how nicely even the stock canister intake fits!):

had to do a little cuttin:

Rubberized coating:

Once the FMIC kit is in, all i need is a ECU, a oil return line (the one i got is ghey, dam flex hose crimps which will surely lead to a blown turbo), and some miscellaneous stuff for the gauges (moving them from the center console AC vent to the a-pillar (wouldnt be much good to go through all that trouble to reinstall the entire AC system only to cover the two most important vents with gauges!). I will have to make another PnP run though, i need a headliner, visors (mine are crimson red, really dont match well), and some other random interior stuff. Supposedly there is a clean 1g n/t that just arrived with 30k on the clock that our contact said had a super clean grey interior, hopefully its still there and intact this weekend, normally the DSM section is only picked apart by my local group so well see.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
Regular

That's kick *** man! One day I'll have the time, money and patience to do that to a car.

Reddit
Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

IT ****ING RUNS!

sucked, had a little scare though. got it all buttoned up, turn it over. Nothing. Check spark, no spark. check fuel, no fuel. ****. Find i plugged my Cam Angle Sensor into the wrong plug, so i plug (there are two plugs on the firewall (well 4, 2 purple male connectors, one of which is the cas one is a loop from the harness, and 2 females at the harness) so i swap it and then i got fuel and spark fine. Still no run. Check compression, i was at 0 compression. holy mother of god.

then took a step back. started to think about it, and checked timing. realized one of my cams were 180* off. durrrrrr. so i bust everything off, put the motor at middle dead center and rotate the exhaust cam 180*, (making sure both of my cam dowel pins were now at the 12:00 position, not 12 and 6 like the were when it was 180 off), and put everything back together.

2:00 AM saturday morning, she breathed for the first time. had other small issues i worked out when i woke up saturday (timing belt tensioner pulley was too far tensioned and was stuck on the tensioner arm pivot and was causing the belt to glaze over since the pulley wasnt moving). took it for a ride afterwards, and still had some issues. suspension sounds horrible, like the front wheels are loose on their lugs, but i think its the steering rack, cause now its leaking, but it does work. my tach still doesnt work, but i have a smaller one hooked up since the previous guy warned me about that, picked up a cheapy on ebay so i could at least tell what rpm i was at at idle.

all in all i am very happy right now. it idles really smooth and has a very nice exhaust tone, even for a 4banger (3" turboback with no cat). interior rattles but thats cause there isnt anything inside it! ill have to start procuring interior pieces from the leftover dsm carcasses at the local PnP.

but she runs under her own power! 3 weeks ahead of my deadline (end of june).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos