the start of my spring break - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
the start of my spring break

13 March 2008

Putting on some Dunlop GP's i picked up for 80 bucks for track service.

14 March 2008

Driving! it rained a lot of the trip. and there was absurd traffic a lot of the trip. it took ~8 hours and i stopped like twice the whole time. twas a long trip.

now it's looking like FL

just in case i need em

so much stuff

I didnt have someone to photograph for me this no riding pics

March 15

This day was AWESOME. i enjoyed it much more than my previous track day (not to say i didnt that one a ton). i was relaxed and simply enjoying myself and that made it waaaaay more fun, and it made me waaaaaay faster apparently. Since it was my second track day, i signed up for the novice group again, b/c i was nothing special by the end of my first. I bought the full weekend (3 days) and you only choose 1 group, so i chose novice and they could bump me up if need be.

i lapped all (well, maybe there were 1 or 2 guys i didnt get) of the novice group in the second session and all of the following sessions. In one of the sessions, i passed ~6 people on the back straight including a control rider who was just chillin with some noobs watching their lines etc. when i blew by him, he gunned it and followed me. When we got some open track, he got in front of me on the front straight and rode pretty hard. I followed him. He turned around ever time he got a chance and looked behind him to see me on his ***, lol. When we were pitting, he gave me a thumbs up and called me to the side. The first thing he said was, "dude, that was awesome." He said he'd talk to them and get me bumped up. sweet.

enough basking. sorry.

oh, and he also told me i was throwing sparks.

turns out:

my footpegs were down through many of the turns, and they got lower and lower all day. i need some aftermarket footpegs/rearsets.

i stayed novice the whole day and mostly just rode with a control rider through everybody else. i got really good at passing and i was turning some awesome lap times. i set my video camera on the dashboard of the truck (which was facing the track) to just see a little section of the track and get my lap times. after reviewing the times that night, i was consistently 1:35's with a best of 1:32...and this was through the traffic of the other novices. they told me a 1:32 is a low intermediate time, and the recommended expert time was 1:28. W00-HOO

on your toes you stupid bastard!

borrowed some tire warmers. im looking for some though.

here is the bike pitted next to me:

the next morning i didnt talk to the guy before registration (it was early), so i figured i would just talk to him after the first session and run novice once more just to do a little more passing and review the lines etc.

BAD MOVE!!!!!!!!banghead:banghead

the problem comes at the end of the first novice session on Sunday the 16th. the session was awesome once again, and i was running really well, and actually was starting to learn my shift points well and felt like it was helping my times a good bit. This is a new day, so there are first time track riders in this group, sadly.

the checkered flag came, and we were pitting. i passed a few people in turn 10 and could've gotten a couple more on the straight after it, but that's approximately where you slow down and move the the right to pit in. so i just got in line behind a guy on a gixxer. pit road comes off the track in a right hand turn and then straightens out. i raised my arm signaling i was pitting (like everybody else, b/c the session was over). the guy in front of me didnt signal he was pitting, but of course i assumed he was but noted i would tell him he needed to signal after we parked. as we were coming through the right turn, a control rider had slowed down a little and was signaling for us to pass him, so a couple of people did. i was glancing over at him b/c he was signaling to pass him and he was telling me to meet him on the paddock (with hand signals). everybody goes probably ~30 mph on pit road until pit out. after i noted the control riders hand signal to me (he was going to bump me out of novice, this was a different control rider than the one i'd talked to before), i looked up and wtfbbq the dude on the gixxer is stopped. stopped. on pit road probably 30 yards off the track. stopped. my natural reaction was, of course, front brake. and this, of course, made me do a front flip, and land about an inch from him. and i didnt hit him, damnit. everybody was just like 'wtf' to the guy, including me while i was laying on the ground (i would have gotten up and told him how much of an idiot he was, but my right knee was hurting like mad. so, blah blah blah..

and the control rider watched the whole thing and couldnt figure out why the hell the guy stopped. they said when he got off the track they told him he better go apologize to me. yea, thanks a lot bub, now how about 400 bucks? he gave me "everything he had in his wallet," which was a 20. what an asshat. My knee wasnt broken, but it has some rash and i could barely walk.

anyway, that's the summarized version..

and time to fix; the gauge cluster bracket was bent, but now, good as new

some super glue to avoid moisture getting in there, looking at the motor was not necessary

the upper fairing and windshield are done. maybe i'll bondo the upper and make it a race plastic for track duty

subframe is bent like crazy. it was a little bit before, but now it's worse.

the current state of the blue steed:

i'm gonna try to bend the subframe back somewhat. i dont know how that's gonna work out. i still need to bend the mirror bracket back. then i just need a new upper fairing and windscreen.

what a weekend. oh, and, before i was even back to my paddock they told me they had 2 trackday certificates waiting for me...which is not something Jennings usually does unless you have a good excuse and you ask.

Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: the start of my spring break

Sounds like you had fun at least man...

"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Alabama

That sucks about that *** on the gixxer... probably some wannabe who used momma's money to get what everyone else has. But at least you had a blast before that.
Originally Posted by Brent
Nothing is ever official until its official
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Region: Florida

Sounds like you had a great time !!! At least you came back in one piece

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

wow that sucks, i still want a bike...
2006 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8
Fishers Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

edit: ^yea man, crashes happen but it's still completely worth it....right now at least..something extreme might change my mind..

well, since it's back to the top, here's an update

last week i did some subframe bending

i dont know where/how we got that mamoth wrench in our barn, but it's now one of my best friends

and...might as well put it back together and go for a ride! that's pretty straight compared to how it was...good enough for me.

jeez..i gotta get a new upper fairing...those hovering mirrors are so ugly

it may not look good, but it works. woohoo!

and i just ebay.t the last of my needs for it to be back to normal.

i miss my stang though. damn $600/year parking passes.

Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Region: California

It's a sweet bike for sure, sorry about what happened on the track though. I know I would've gotten pretty upset over it too. I've always wanted to ride a bike like that, but I have no experience in it and my folks work in hospitals and have banned me from ever buying one

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos