Hid in halogen housing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hid in halogen housing

Been looking into hid's and being that I have an 04 model I have halogen housing and I don't like how the projectors look. I really want them but don't want to blind people. Just need some input on the decision if they really blind people or not. If anyone has pictures of their car with projections or hid in housing can u post. Would like to see how it turned out. Thanks
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Seeing cars on the road with HIDs in, yes they blind people, because the light scatters so much, you need a housing that will focus the beam a bit more than the stock housing. The only thing i hate to drive against more than a driver with incorrectly aimed headlights is a driver with HIDs in a housing like our stock ones. I have the Raxiom smoked projectors from AM, and i'm debating on getting HIDs for it, and hopefully because they are projectors itll keep the scatter down a bit.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yes they do. I used to not do a lot of night driving so i was on the side of the HIDs but now i do more night driving and can tell you that they sure as hell blind oncoming traffic. Sometimes almost to the point of where you cant even see the road anymore.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yes they do. I used to not do a lot of night driving so i was on the side of the HIDs but now i do more night driving and can tell you that they sure as hell blind oncoming traffic. Sometimes almost to the point of where you cant even see the road anymore.
+1

I work till midnight so 90% of my driving is at night, and when you're tired after working it makes it even worse. I had a F-150 with a lift kit behind me with HIDs one day, he was probably a good half mile away and it was hard for me to see in front of me, I ended up slowing down to a crawl to let him pass me just so i could see.

Don't get me wrong, HIDs are awesome, great, wonderfuly bright headlights and would be amazing to have at night, but in the wrong housing they are a nightmare for every driver on the road, and if you get the right cop you can actually get pulled over for them.

LCMC Member
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I understand with you guys are saying so what are some of the new edge or guys with halogen housing doing, are you getting projector lamps or just using white lamps
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange
I understand with you guys are saying so what are some of the new edge or guys with halogen housing doing, are you getting projector lamps or just using white lamps
Sylvania silverstars. Can see just fine and I live in mississippi. Don't get more backroad than here.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Sylvania silverstars. Can see just fine and I live in mississippi. Don't get more backroad than here.
I want to get hid lights but I really don't like how the smoke projectors look. I looked at examples on AM it just didn't really excite me. I may just have to see them in person. If not ill jus stick with regular bulbs: (
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

you can get the projectors that arent smoked too

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Spyder has some good sets, if i had found those before i found the ones i have i'd have them, The raxiom ones have a flat spot where the spyders match the curve of the stock housings a lot better

LCMC Member
Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
you can get the projectors that arent smoked too
Yea I like smoked look I wanna darken up my front end some. Hey do u think if I bought the tinted halogen housing from AM that would tune down the brightness of the hid towards oncoming traffic?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

2004 Ford Mustang Custom Headlights at CARiD.com

Theres a bunch on here, and I'm sure they can be found all over the place

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
Yea I like smoked look I wanna darken up my front end some. Hey do u think if I bought the tinted halogen housing from AM that would tune down the brightness of the hid towards oncoming traffic?
I'm sure it would, but I know if I ever buy a new set of headlights I wont do the raxiom ones. They're nice but I would prefer to keep the lines of the car closer to what they are with stock housings.

LCMC Member
Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2004 Ford Mustang Custom Headlights at CARiD.com

Theres a bunch on here, and I'm sure they can be found all over the place
Wow thanks there a ton if them on this site. I'd have to go through them and see. I'm so use to dealing with AM I forget about all other sites
Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow thanks there a ton if them on this site. I'd have to go through them and see. I'm so use to dealing with AM I forget about all other sites
+1 AM is a great site, but they arent the only one out there

LCMC Member
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 AM is a great site, but they arent the only one out there
Yea I see... thanx man
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

anytime

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange

No.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
+1

I work till midnight so 90% of my driving is at night, and when you're tired after working it makes it even worse. I had a F-150 with a lift kit behind me with HIDs one day, he was probably a good half mile away and it was hard for me to see in front of me, I ended up slowing down to a crawl to let him pass me just so i could see.

Don't get me wrong, HIDs are awesome, great, wonderfuly bright headlights and would be amazing to have at night, but in the wrong housing they are a nightmare for every driver on the road, and if you get the right cop you can actually get pulled over for them.

Happened to me also, on dark back roads with no lights. I had a lifted truck with HID, High Beams and, fog lights on. I had to turn every mirror away from me to even see.

HID end all thread
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hid in halogen housing

Yea it's to dangerous I'll just get the tinted headlights and stick a halogen bulb in there... Guess I can save that 200 bucks for hid's for something else
Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs are what you need.

HID end all thread
Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs are what you need.

Ok I can go pick those up from advanced auto. You have tinted headlight covers how's the light output at night and which bulbs are you running
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I can go pick those up from advanced auto. You have tinted headlight covers how's the light output at night and which bulbs are you running
You can get the ultras at walmart, thats what I have in my headlights and they're pretty good, I just have to find a way to raise the beam a little more, for some reason the housing is either stuck or it wont let me raise it up any more, so the beam is not pointing out far enought ahead of me.

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can get the ultras at walmart, thats what I have in my headlights and they're pretty good, I just have to find a way to raise the beam a little more, for some reason the housing is either stuck or it wont let me raise it up any more, so the beam is not pointing out far enought ahead of me.

Great Walmart is a lot closer.... Really, that sound like a problem. It could be stuck becuz if it's not far enough ahead of u it should still be more room to adjust
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I need to take the them off the car and see whats up, but I feel like I never have the time.

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I need to take the them off the car and see whats up, but I feel like I never have the time.

I kno where ya coming from I feel like that myself sometimes.... Btw are those the smoke projector headlights you posted in the other thread of your cars paint. They look good. If u have any more pics of the front end would u mind sharing them I wanna get an idea of how they look with the lights on and off
Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have any of them with the lights on, but I have a couple, I'll see about getting some with the lights on tonight.

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't have any of them with the lights on, but I have a couple, I'll see about getting some with the lights on tonight.

Thank man I appreciate it. I looked on AM customer pics but I call those glamour shots they made it look all pretty if I'm going to buy these lights I need to see real pic not all glimmered up
Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the AM Site for the headlights.

Heres what pictures I have of them.

Older picture

One thing I don't like about them is the flat part that sticks out like a sore thumb on them. You can see it best on the first picture. I have decided is that if I ever have to replace them I'm going to replace them with ones like the Spyder Smoked Projectors because they follow the same lines as the stock housings.

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the pix this may have convinced me to change my mind from the smoked regular housing to yours,I like them I think they look good
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the pix this may have convinced me to change my mind from the smoked regular housing to yours,I like them I think they look good
I don't suggest looking only at these and going for them, Look at some of the other kinds that there are, these are the only ones I've seen so far that have the flat part, so unless you like that about them take a look at the spec-d, spyder, CG, IPCW, and ANZO, I wish AM had carried some of those brands because i would love the Anzo or Spec-D or Spyder ones.

LCMC Member
Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks I will check them out too, but just to get an understanding they all pretty much do the same things they just look different rite?

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Quote:
I don't suggest looking only at these and going for them, Look at some of the other kinds that there are, these are the only ones I've seen so far that have the flat part, so unless you like that about them take a look at the spec-d, spyder, CG, IPCW, and ANZO, I wish AM had carried some of those brands because i would love the Anzo or Spec-D or Spyder ones.

I really like the dark smoked spyder but I'm a very visual person and I can't judge how they would look on my car that's my only drawback
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks I will check them out too, but just to get an understanding they all pretty much do the same things they just look different rite?

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

I really like the dark smoked spyder but I'm a very visual person and I can't judge how they would look on my car that's my only drawback
For the most part yea, they're still just headlights, and any of them would look good on your car. If you can deal with the flat spots like on the Raxioms and you like them get 'em. If not, there are a bunch of otheres that dont have the flat spot.

These two should give you somewhat of an idea of what your car would look like with smoked headlights, just....ignore the title of the page. The guy is a complete idiot.

LCMC Member
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For the most part yea, they're still just headlights, and any of them would look good on your car. If you can deal with the flat spots like on the Raxioms and you like them get 'em. If not, there are a bunch of otheres that dont have the flat spot.

These two should give you somewhat of an idea of what your car would look like with smoked headlights, just....ignore the title of the page. The guy is a complete idiot.
Yea they look good, I wish I had that Damn cobra bumper
Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to be looking for a cobra or GT rear bumper before I get my exhaust redone, I hate how the exhaust has to be under the bumper with the V6 one

Sent from my mobile device.

LCMC Member
Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm going to be looking for a cobra or GT rear bumper before I get my exhaust redone, I hate how the exhaust has to be under the bumper with the V6 one

Wow we are both on the same page I picked one up a month ago from the junk yard in fair condition for 30$ I would check your local junkyard first. I been wanting to get mine put on the shop said 379 paint primed and to put on
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Yukes HID Retrofits makes some very unique sets and or custom if you send him a set.
-I have had great results using 4300k or 5k HID's inside the tinted or black housing headlight sets (Black Beauty's/AM tinted Cobra's). They are so awful at projecting light that it is literally dangerous on dark rainy nights traveling through the mountains. Aimed properly, the HID's are just enough to illuminate the road without blinding "over glow" & scattered patterns.
**Although illegal in halogen sets, perfectly legal in Yukes sets. Sorry for stating the obvious.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

They sell cut-out trim pieces that slide on and match the GT bumpers style.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos