::RANGER CONTENT WARNING:: New wheels and fixed interior paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
Exclamation ::RANGER CONTENT WARNING:: New wheels and fixed interior paint

Well as much as I loved the wheels I had I really needed something that wasn't so wide. So me and my buddy josh swapped. I got his chrome alcoa's and he got mine. He's gonna get them painted flat black. Will be ordering his new 33's and we will be doing his bodylift in the next 2 weeks roughly.

I also got tired of my nasty chipped and cracking interior i've painted a billion times lol. So me and josh sanded them down real good and I flat blacked them. Look very close to stock. I need to pull them out and lightly sand them again to get a nice smooth texture then hit it with another coat. Very close to factory again! Anyway here's the pics.

Interior before sanding:

After sanding:

Painted:

Painted with approval lol

Here's the truck:

1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve
Re: ::RANGER CONTENT WARNING:: New wheels and fixed interior paint

that paint job came out real nice. those rims dont look too bad on the truck. btw, is it an auto or stick?

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular2valve View Post
that paint job came out real nice. those rims dont look too bad on the truck. btw, is it an auto or stick?
Auto sadly. I am thinking of swapping it though. Back when I bought it I had a lot of issues with my left knee. It's gotten a lot better. I was driving a reno with a 5spd for about 2 years and my knee was doing great. So it is very tempting to swap, but it's my dd and cant afford that down time just yet.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

lookin good

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

i hear ya, even with an auto those 4.0's are pretty stout. u ever take it in the mud?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sadly again I dont have a 4.0 lol. I have a 3.0. I have a programmer on it so it's peppy enough for what it is. Yeah I've hit some puddles and recently went and almost got stuck in some 3" muck, but managed to get myself out without getting pulled out.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

How has the programmer been on your truck? I've been thinking about doing the same with my parents truck...they have a 2000 4.0L with a 5 speed. Which one do you have too?

I also want to tear it down and removed the bed and cab to clean the frame of all the NY rust that we brought with us...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
How has the programmer been on your truck? I've been thinking about doing the same with my parents truck...they have a 2000 4.0L with a 5 speed. Which one do you have too?

I also want to tear it down and removed the bed and cab to clean the frame of all the NY rust that we brought with us...
I had a Hypertech on my S10 for the longest time, which i mostly bought for the ability to change tire size/gear ratio and keep the speedo correct when I had some 18s on it. Bonus was that it altered shift points and "firmness" for my auto tranny, which basically means it shifted later when you put it on the floor and shifted hard instead of slipping a little in the name of comfort. It was really cool, but I didn't really notice the performance gain from the tuner part of the program. All I really noticed is that I was supposed to put 93 in it with the tuning program turned on which sucked I had the 4.3 which was pretty stout anyways, and I never tracked it (lol a truck) before or after I added the programmer or K&N intake etc etc so maybe it helped a negligible amount, but not enough to justify paying the 300+ dollars? they cost retail, especially for a manual transmission. (I bought all my performance junk when I paid cost for it at work so it was easier to stomach minor or cosmetic junk like cold air kits on a pick up truck hehe)

p.s. anyone want to buy a Hypertech Power Programmer III for any '98 model GM Truck with a 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4 Vortec Engine
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well with me being auto I noticed the biggest difference in the performance of the transmission. However when I was running my 245/75/16's which was just a size larger then stock. I went from 15 city to 18ish and thats not taking it easy at all. Hwy got up to 23.5 doing 85 with ac on full blast and about 90 outside. To me it's worth it for the mpg alone if you do a lot of driving. it adds about 10-15hp to the motor depending on which tune you use. Before they switched to winter blend I was getting 18 city with my 32's. Now with winter I am avg around 16 in city. I think if I had my stock 235's I'd be doing atleast 20 in city and probably 25ish hwy. When I had stock tires my avg was upper 17's in city and best hwy was 20.5 and that was with the stock tune.

I would suggest BamaChips Tuning for the tuner. He really knows his stuff and is a great guy. I am just using a generic superchips tune. So if I had a better tune by doug i'd probably be much better off.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I'll use a local tuner for a tune since this isn't a ported eaton cobra....and will get it tuned up on the dyno itself. I was more curious if you noticed anything out of the tune itself.

I'm trying to decide if I do a 5.0/5.8 swap in it or stick with the 4.0L...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I'll use a local tuner for a tune since this isn't a ported eaton cobra....and will get it tuned up on the dyno itself. I was more curious if you noticed anything out of the tune itself.

I'm trying to decide if I do a 5.0/5.8 swap in it or stick with the 4.0L...
Stick with the 4.0 and get the 4.5 stroker kit for it. Should be cheaper in the long run. Though if you can find a explorer 5.0 it fits perfect. You can also use a T-5 in the ranger with minimum modding to make it fit I believe.

I am guessing the truck is 2wd?

Is there anything else done to the truck or is it all stock?

Tuner will definitely wake up the 4.0. Now if you go exhaust/headers/CAI and then the programmer you will see a good noticeable difference. However let me ask you this. Are you looking at the truck for speed or for more towing/working? If for speed related I would opt to swap in the 4.0 Sohc motor. Almost a direct bolt in. Will work with the current manual you have. Just need new engine mounts and the computer. Get it tuned and your set. Has about 30-40 more hp then the OHV. However the 4.0OHV is better build for low end while the sohc for high end. Both a good choice. Just depends on what you need/want it for.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

No, it is a 4x4.

I honestly don't know what I want the truck for. If anything, I am guessing for trail riding (nothing too crazy) and a little bit of mudding on the levy. I am more interested in big tires than a low profile ride.

Right now the truck is 100% bone stock down to the original plugs and tires. I'm just thinking about making the truck a little more fun down the road. At this point, it is my parent's daily driver...but it wouldn't hurt to spice it up a little for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
Stick with the 4.0 and get the 4.5 stroker kit for it. Should be cheaper in the long run. Though if you can find a explorer 5.0 it fits perfect. You can also use a T-5 in the ranger with minimum modding to make it fit I believe.

I am guessing the truck is 2wd?

Is there anything else done to the truck or is it all stock?

Tuner will definitely wake up the 4.0. Now if you go exhaust/headers/CAI and then the programmer you will see a good noticeable difference. However let me ask you this. Are you looking at the truck for speed or for more towing/working? If for speed related I would opt to swap in the 4.0 Sohc motor. Almost a direct bolt in. Will work with the current manual you have. Just need new engine mounts and the computer. Get it tuned and your set. Has about 30-40 more hp then the OHV. However the 4.0OHV is better build for low end while the sohc for high end. Both a good choice. Just depends on what you need/want it for.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol, another project emerges.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
No, it is a 4x4.

I honestly don't know what I want the truck for. If anything, I am guessing for trail riding (nothing too crazy) and a little bit of mudding on the levy. I am more interested in big tires than a low profile ride.

Right now the truck is 100% bone stock down to the original plugs and tires. I'm just thinking about making the truck a little more fun down the road. At this point, it is my parent's daily driver...but it wouldn't hurt to spice it up a little for them.
Well since it's goal is to be a mild offroader. I'd stick with the ohv motor. tune/exhaust/headers and just leave it at. Are you wanting to lift it any or keep the suspension mostly stock? As you can see I am running 32x11.5 tires on my truck with only a mild torsion bar crank.

I feel you on sprucing up parents vehicles. I'd love to do some stuff to my dads f150 (lightning/harley clone) but he is very picky lol.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

When I take ownership it will probably get a small lift.....nothing more than 4 inches anyhow. More than that I think looks out of place on a small truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
When I take ownership it will probably get a small lift.....nothing more than 4 inches anyhow. More than that I think looks out of place on a small truck.
Pretty much these are your options now. You will have the choice of a Superlift 4" lift kit which goes for about 1500 or you can go for a 3" body lift for 100-200. I think for what you want the BL is the practical way to go. You can fit 33's easy and with a little work 35's. There are other ways to gain that 1" lift if you really want to go 4. You can crank your torsion bars like I said earlier. However I wouldn't go more the 1-1.5" because it was cause problems beyond that. In the rear you can do an AAL(Add a leaf) which will give you 1-3" of lift depending on which you get. Then there is also the chevy drop shackle. The part number is for a fullsize chevy. Basicly you flip it upside down for the ranger and you can gain 2-2.5" of lift in the rear. If you go bigger then 33's you will want to regear. Considering the truck is a 2000 it could have 3.73 or 4.10. If it has the 3.73 I would suggest going to at least a 4.10 front and rear.

Double lifted rangers aren't terrible looking, but they end up having a lot of issues with the front IFS. Alot of guys have taken the DL off their trucks. If you get to the point of wanting to go higher then go ahead and look into a SAS(solid axle swap) Though that would be for more hardcore offroading. Then again is just as bad a bug as having a performance car. Once you get into it, It's addicting.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

If you want to turn it into a mild offroader....sell it and buy something with solid axles.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
If you want to turn it into a mild offroader....sell it and buy something with solid axles.
Well, since it's not my truck, that really isn't an option.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Rangers are a good vehicle for offroad. The ranger will be more then capable for what he needs.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Solid axles are hella cooler and stronger though

Plus, you can do awesome e-thug shots like this:
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Solid axles are hella cooler and stronger though

Plus, you can do awesome e-thug shots like this:
Oh i agree with you there. My explorer will eventually get a solid axle, but it's stuck with the ttb for now. He doesn't need a sas'd rig for what he wants to do.

btw it's supercharged too. That's my old bed and front fender too.

How's this for E-thug?
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ok...intended uses.

1:

2:

Not intended to do this as we have nothing even remotely resembling hills nor big ricks in LA

Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Don't go with a body lift more than 1 inch
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

BLs bring the suck!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

and can sometimes be harder to install than a sus. lift

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
Don't go with a body lift more than 1 inch
Dont listen to this guy.

Quote:
BLs bring the suck!
Or this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
and can sometimes be harder to install than a sus. lift
The only real hard thing about a BL is if it's an older truck thats been up north and is rusty. Usually causes the bolts to be a paint to get out. Take a torch to them and heat them up and problem is solved.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont listen to this guy.

Or this guy

The only real hard thing about a BL is if it's an older truck thats been up north and is rusty. Usually causes the bolts to be a paint to get out. Take a torch to them and heat them up and problem is solved.
truck came from new york

Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
truck came from new york
That would make sense then. It will probably be a pita then weither its a BL or SL.

Tell ya what. Just throw some 32x11.5 and call it a day.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That would make sense then. It will probably be a pita then weither its a BL or SL.

Tell ya what. Just throw some 32x11.5 and call it a day.
that sounds like a plan.

I like the smaller trucks more for off road. you see the guys all the time with 3/4 ton trucks with diesels trying to jack them up and put monster tires, but it's nothing but looks. you can't take that huge thing in the woods

Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
that sounds like a plan.

I like the smaller trucks more for off road. you see the guys all the time with 3/4 ton trucks with diesels trying to jack them up and put monster tires, but it's nothing but looks. you can't take that huge thing in the woods
exactly. the best small trucks you can get are tacoma's and rangers. They are the best for offroad. Me though I really like small suv's for offroading like bronco II's, explorers, cherokees. I have a 93 explorer sport that I am going to get running when I get my tax return back. so it'll take the beating instead of my nice truck. I want to put a 2in lift and 31-32" tires on it.

Once the lift and tires are done. I plan on a ARB from bumper with built in winch. With some custom rock sliders for the side. Then a custom tube bumper with steps built it. Then a rack for the ruff to hold the spare/shovel and anything else I may put up there. I am debating if I want to do a roll cage in it. I will have to see if I plan on wheeling it that hard. I want it to be a mix of a trail/rock/mud truck. Once funding and skill is available I will end up doing a sas on it. At that point in time I will do a cage for sure.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Any lift is just going to make it harder to get the dirt bike in the back

But really, you don't need a lift to go play around in mud holes, the tires are going to be way more of an issue

And to pull all those trailers all you really need is a hitch
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWill View Post
Any lift is just going to make it harder to get the dirt bike in the back

But really, you don't need a lift to go play around in mud holes, the tires are going to be way more of an issue

And to pull all those trailers all you really need is a hitch
That's why I suggested for him to just go with some 32x11.5x15. Will be a perfect size tire and the only thing he will need to do is crank his torsion bars a little bit.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I would want the lift for looks....but I don't want a major lift...2-3" would be perfect...4" max.

I plan on working the truck over some to get rid of the NY-ness. I definitely want to pull the bed and get the frame blasted and painted as well as get the bed lined. I'll continue cleaning other things up as I go through the truck.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I would want the lift for looks....but I don't want a major lift...2-3" would be perfect...4" max.

I plan on working the truck over some to get rid of the NY-ness. I definitely want to pull the bed and get the frame blasted and painted as well as get the bed lined. I'll continue cleaning other things up as I go through the truck.
I would do that frame while doing the body lift. Then you can hit the whole thing.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Or not do a body lift at all, and just clean up the frame I'm not sure if Rangers have the same problems, but Wranglers have all types of problems from body lifts...fuel filler necks breaking, popping out of 4wd, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos