Did a little wrenching on the car today - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Did a little wrenching on the car today

so did the jlt filters work?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

what blower is he selling

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
their wasn't any oil in the IC coolant

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #39
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
There was no oil in the lower intake this time around. Last time there was about 1/2 quart. I'll say they worked based on this fact plus I was running much more boost this time around, so there would have been much more chance for oil blow by.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

good, I only have one but last time I had the intake off I had NO oil signs in it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #41
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Since I am pulling the valve covers with this blower swap, I will be doing this as well to help the oil issues. I will probably replace the 2 JLT deals with the first quoted mod and then add a check valve like in the second quoted mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 97 COBRA View Post
I have found a very simple and cheap way to eliminate engine oil from entering the intake system on the 32v engines. The oil problem is from a poorly designed oil separation system to the PCV breathers in the valve covers, or I should say none at all.

Tools you will need. Good sharp sicissors, Ratchet with a 5mm socket,
1 bottle of blue locktite, and some heavy gloves.
Go to your local hardware store and buy about a 3ft by 3ft section of aluminum window screen, cost about $3.00 for a 5ft roll.

Preform this to both valve cover baffles. I'm only going to show pictures on one side. The other side is the same way.

First photo
First remove the valve covers and flip them upside down so that you are staring at the inside of them. There are approxamatly 12 5.5mm screws holding what will appear to be a sheet metal plate to the under side of the valve cover. I circled them in yellow in the following photo. Remove the screws and lift off the plate. You can now go and clean all of your parts.

Second photo
You can now see the inside of the oil separation system and how there is nothing to stop oil suspended in crank case vapors from exiting the baffel and going straight into the intake. This is the area to be modified.

Third and fourth photo's
There will be some trial and error on this part untill you get the size right. Cut the aluminum screen into small section, size will vary for the different areas to fill in the valve cover. Pluck the ends of the screen to remove any loose ends, you don't what these falling into your engine! Using the heavy gloves crush, twist and scruntch up the screen to fill up the areas as shown in the photos. You do not want to crush up the screen to tightly. You want a medium density. You do not want to restrict the movement of airflow but make the vapors twist and bent around the screen which will cause the oil cling to and separate from the air. Also check the fitment of the metal cover plate to make sure it will still screw back down flat as you are adding the screening. You don't want to pack it so tightly or have peices sticking up and hold the plate off the valve cover. Make sure you wear the gloves when crushing up tthe screen. After you get poked with the wire ends a few times, you will not forget again, it hurt's a lot.

Once you have filled the major points in the baffle similar to the photo's, use blue loctite to secure the screws. Tighten these screws carefuly, torque is only 30-40 inch pounds.

I have had this simple mod on my supercharged Cobra for about 2 months and 4k miles of heavy use. Before I would get a noticeable amount of oil in the intkate system after 500 miles of heavy use. Perodic inspections of the intake system since preforming this modification have shown a reduction of about 95% of the oil that was getting into the intake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
Seriously, I can't help but to wonder why we are still using oil separators, and/or open valve-cover breathers on our Terminators and Lightnings, especially when such devices are nothing more than a "patch" for an inherent, and rather simple, problem at hand (more on that in a moment).

Before I get into the cause, I want to state that I'm not in any way shape or form attempting to detract from those using any of these devices. I'm merely attempting to show you a better way! Also, I realize some like the looks of the open filters, and I'll admit, some of these do tend to look nice in the bling department (tho I think the majority will agree that the oil catch-can/separators do not). In the case of an open valve-cover filter on the inlet side, these allow for unmetered air into the system, and, from a tuning standpoint, this is not ideal whatsoever.

So why and how is oil getting in the inlet? I'll explain: The PCV system was designed to allow pressure out of the crank case. When under boost,it should stop backflow, but it instead does a poor job of doing such (the Lightning pcv is terrible at preventing such, tho the Cobras is only marginally better). Thus, since there is backflow going back into the crankcase, the intake side will tend to flow out, and into the inlet boot, which is where the oil comes from.

So how do you prevent it from happening? The easiest cure is a 1-way check valve just off from the PCV. See here:

ANDAIR CHECK VALVE from Aircraft Spruce <---click!

Part # 05-00719 with no bleed.

FYI, for even further protection, one could run a pre-filter on the passenger side such as the JLT version, tho I do not believe it would be needed with this 1-way check valve.

Here's a picture of the above check valve on my best friend's Lightning (usahooters on here):

Questions or comments? Please feel free to ask/post away!

Kind Regards,

James
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ I would still want a JLT to weed out the oil from normal flowing, it wont be much but some will still slip through, just a way to prevent a bit more.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #43
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Made an offer on an upper intake with single blade throttle body today and the dude accepted it. I'm hoping to have my W2 tomorrow and will be shooting him the dough for it by thursday if things continue to go well like they are so far today.....
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Made an offer on an upper intake with single blade throttle body today and the dude accepted it. I'm hoping to have my W2 tomorrow and will be shooting him the dough for it by thursday if things continue to go well like they are so far today.....
Hm...upper w/ single blade... should be an interesting setup. I'd imagine this isn't going to be a n/a build.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #45
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Hm...upper w/ single blade... should be an interesting setup. I'd imagine this isn't going to be a n/a build.
Yeah, completely N/A....filed today after getting an electronic W2....if all goes well I'll have my dough by next friday....then I'll be getting my new upper intake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > Pictures and Videos