Back for help... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Taywi
Back for help...

Hey guys... been a long time... but i'm back for some help... i've bought an 06 kicker l7 2 ohm... and a hyphonics brutus 1200w class D... and looking to get a new kenwood head unit and put it all into my car... only problem is the trunk.. i need a box for my l7 that'll fit in the tiny *** trunk of my 98 vert... and would also like to know how to install everything... i wanna do it myself this time... oh.. and by the way.. i'm gonna try and stick around a little this time...

from old and busted to new hotness
Taywi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Back for help...

I think the biggest problem with Kicker stuff is that you really have to go and buy all Kicker components (amp, sub, box).

I would say the best thing to do is build a custom box, all that's really needed is basic woodworking skills and tools. For the sub there should be a specs sheet and see how much volume the sub needs for peak performance and build a box with dimensions that will fit that. Pick up some MDF board, usually 1/2" for the sides and 3/4" for the front (where the sub will mount to). You can then wrap it in carpet or vinyl, or paint it. Whatever you would like as a finish.

You will also need some heavy gauge wire (x2). One set will run from the battery to where you place your amp. The secon wire should be shorter for the ground, usually a seat belt bolt makes a perfect ground. Some primary wire for a remote turn one and speaker wire to hook up the Amp to Subs. You will also need a RCA to run from the HU to the amp.

Usually I will run power wire through the firewall (if it's an automatic there's usually the spot where the clutch goes which makes a perfect spot to go through the firewall) or find another grommet such as the hood release cable or drill one but be very careful. Pop up the door sills and take out the back seat. If the seats fold down you can go a head and leave the top cushions in place, you might be abole to get away with it. Run the power wire down the driver side under the door sill or tuck it under the carpet. Keep it neat so everything fits back together smoothly. Run the Power all the way up to where the amp will be placed. While the bottom cushion is out, it's now a good time to include the ground wire. Ground it somewhere close to the amp. Don't forget to fuse the power wire too as close to the battery as possible.

On the passenger side remove the door sills again and run the amp turn on wire and the RCAs, again to the amp. You can run it all on one side, however on big audio systems you can get alternator whine through your speakers. Amp turn on wire can go on either side, it's the audio wires and power wire that you should design around.

Hook up the speaker wire from your amp to your subs.

This is a farily simplified explanation but a basic idea of what you will be doing. If you decide to go through it and have questions please ask. The whole Install isn't too complicated but if you've never done one before def. take the day to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man... but is their any way to do it without taking out the back seat... i have a vert and i really don't want to go anywhere near the top well and ****...

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

i got had an 01 hardtop and i was able to get a box in through the outside i took out the mat and the spare tire you can deffinatly slide the trunk mat back under but the spare will be a trick i eventually just took out the back seat the box was 13" tall 16"wide and 28" long when i put it in through the back seat i was like a ***** hair from not fitting
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There very well could be. I've done plenty of amp installs, oddly enough not on a Mustang and a Vert for that matter. If the power isn't that big you'll have a thinner (bigger gauge) power wire. A lot of times you can just even tuck this under the trim and seats without even taking those pieces off, or completely off.

You can also just take out the bottom cushion. It's usually either clipped in, push a tab in, or two bolts in front, either way on each end of the seat in front. Stick your hand between the floor and cushion and you'll feel what's holding it all together. Just taken out the cushion could suffice for the install. You just have to find (or squeeze through) a way from the rear seat into the trunk.

Out of curiosity do the rears fold down?
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

nah... they don't do anything in a vert..

Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would still try to snake a wire through under the back of the rear seats. Can you see the back of your seats from the inside of the trunk? Usually when I get into the trunk any extra wire slack is hidden under the seat and carpet leading from the cabin to the trunk. So here it is not a big deal if that power wire isn't hidden under any trim.

Also look for any factory wiring that goes from the cabin to the trunk (hey those tail lights and reverse light have to be turned on somehow). A lot of times there will be a nice set of wiring to attach to, to hide under and a clean looking install.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

cool... is there anything i need to know about installing a new head unit into the mach 460... or anything?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Metra sells a nice harness that's plug and play and you'll get to keep the factory amps. That's good for no matter what you plan on doing.

Pick up a HU that has RCA SUBS Output, better sound quality then using the rear ouputs. You'll want front and rear RCA outs as well if you plan on doing an aftermarket speaker amps down the road. You'll need Ford Keys and I'm assuming you have the factory CD Player seperate from the radio. I'd pick up the pocket kit as well. Wiring the radio to the harness is pretty simple. Match the colors. Sometimes you have to know what's supposed to be working so some wires can get funky. Don't hook up the orange wires! lol. They tend to blow fuses. The HU should really be able to fit right in with the DIN cage.

Just know that the RCAs and Amp Turn on wire run behind the radio. You can zip tie them up under the dash or tuck them under the carpet up near the radio. Snaking the wires behind the dash should be pretty straight foward since you'll have some room.

All I can really think of. The tutorial on here is very good and def. use that as a reference.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i'm also looking to build my own box for the l7 12"... i guess sealed would be the way to go with the limited space and all... can you give me any help on deminsions or anything??? since i might not be able to go through the back seat?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

EDIT: For clarification ft[sup]3[/sup] is cubic feet/ feet cubed.

I am going on this as your sub.

Going for either a ported or vented box, to me it personally does not matter or make too much of a difference. Don't get into all the hype that ported is better then sealed or vice versa. I think this really only matters when you get deeper into audio performance and how you want the subs to handle (i.e. how you want the surrounding air to push). Subs also need to push air to work. In physics the frequencies produced by speakers have a negative wave which can cause interference when that reverse wave bounces off the back wall and into the surrounding room.

Anyway onto the box building. Kicker's recommendations for the sealed box is a minimum of 0.88 ft[sup]3[/sup] and a maximum of 2.0 ft[sup]3[/sup]. The box needs a mounting depth of 7" but we'll make it 8" for some extra room and figure the mounting surface has to be 12.5" on each side. The mounting holes are less then 12" from each other, probably near 11" or so. The actual hole you cut into the box will be smaller then 12". From this we can tell one side is 8" long and rounding up the 12.5" to 13". I know calculus can be used (optimization) to find a nice third size of the box but I usually just use plug and play for a third size. Well we don't really need to find a third size since the 13" is both the length and height. Since the area needs to be between 0.88 and 2.0 ft[sup]3[/sup] I would look for a middle number to aim for so I will choose 1.44 ft[sup]3[/sup]. Assuming we are using just a plain flat sided box the area formula is A = L x W x h. Convert everything to the same size. I'm just going to round everything into feet 13" ~ 1'; 8" ~ 0.75' gives 0.75 ft[sup]3[/sup] So we need a bigger box. A perfectly square box on all sides of 1' gives a 1 ft[sup]3[/sup] which meets the criteria. 0.75' = 9" a value close to the original 8" and 1.5" closer to around the 13" side.
1.5' x 0.75' x 1.5' = 1.69 ft[sup]3[/sup], a great number for the box.

You can really adjust any side to get the dimensions you want. Different shapes require different formulas. Here are some calculators you can play with to find volume: Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators. The main site also has some great info.

Also pick up some silicon and/or liquid nails for the building. Liquid nails makes a great way to keep the box together as well as air seals the box (very important) the silcon would be for the air sealing and not gluing.

Oh BTW I mentioned a round hole for the sub to fit. The sub is a square so it will be a smaller square hole then the actual sub. Mounting holes are 11" and 1/16".

I think I got most of it. I was typing and stepped away to eat dinner, so let me know if I missed something, skipped on something or was just vague or you'd like to hear deeper into.

Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Very well put.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video