Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Shorty Antenna

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  rickf73 
#1 ·
Ok, I purchased a 14" antenna from American Muscle to replace the stock antenna. Liked the looks but the thing seemed to be easy to bend. Well this weekend I broke it off putting the car cover on.
Any ideas on a better antenna, one that is not so thin to replace the monster stock antenna.

#3 ·
I have a 12 inch from AM.com and its just like the stock one as far as strength~ are you not supposed to take it off before putting on a car cover anyway?

#5 ·
Aluminum antennas are just flimsy by nature, you really have to be careful around them. I bent the one I had just washing the truck without paying attention.

(I just realized you guys may just be talking about shorter "factory" looking steel ones or something, if so, ignore me, I was describing like the polished ones)

#9 ·
I believe they make 8 and 14. I liked the 14 because it was about the height of the roof, but maybe the 8 will work better. Right now I don't us the AM or FM that much(sirus trial). I use my Ipod mostly.
Thanks for the info, maybe I was just being clumsy with it.

#10 ·
YEs, cutting the stock one works...just be careful when taking the ball off the top as it can get good distance. Also, you may have to shape your antenna to make the ball fit on the cut version...so you may want to have some glue handy to glue it on.

#12 ·
I have also seen an aluminum, milled shorter version that is thicker.. Let's face it aluminum is s-o-f-t:disgust: I have the AM 8" shorty. It's the second one-as I broke the first one. I would not install a cover-without carefully removing the antenna-even if the cover had a "pocket" for the aerial. Yes-you can modify the stocker, and about the only way to reattach the little ball is to silicone it back on. This also allows a "custom length"-whatever you choose.:good:

#18 ·
I got the 8" and it works well. I have started putting the cover on from the driver side so I don't accidently hit the antenna.
I am still not sure if I like it better than the 14, I might order another one. It is not that I don't like the 8", but for some reason to me the 14 seems to have the look I want. It is about the same height as the roof. :confused:

#19 ·
I also have the 8" very stiff and no change in the radio. I just bought one for Zack's black cobra as it was his birthday. they are on sale at AM.com for $9.99

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.