dvd head unit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to charkelly9
dvd head unit

im looking into purchasing the jensen vm9410 headunit... what should i look for when buying a dvd headunit?esp. as far as screen quality goes... is this expensive mod worth it in your opinion? thanks for you help

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w4fzlui...110VM9410&s=41
charkelly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkelly9
im looking into purchasing the jensen vm9410 headunit... what should i look for when buying a dvd headunit?esp. as far as screen quality goes... is this expensive mod worth it in your opinion? thanks for you help

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w4fzlui...110VM9410&s=41
screen quality is the same on all in-dash units for the most part as far as pixels 1440x234. the only exception is the brand new units that look like plasma tv's. so you shouldnt have a problem there. some screens have a glossy look and others have whats known as a tft look (or a matte, dull finish) this will allow for less glare on the screen. it pushes 40wx4 which is avg for dvd players. for basic cd players the avg is 50wx4 but on stock speakers. 40wx4 is more than enough. this is a really good price for this unit. i think this is the model best buy sells for $900. the only think i have heard bad about this unit is that the tv tuner isnt very good. but if you really want to watch those three fuzzy channels that bad, you can always get an external antenna. its also got secondary inputs which means you can run a ps2 and another external device like that if you want.

i can say that there are no other all in one units at this price.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks so much for your input... i think im gonna bag the tv tuner and just get the regular dvd unit...however when they install the unit is there anyway they could like weld it into place so that theres no way a thieve could steal the unit? i plan on getting a car alarm (which would you reccomend) but still i hope theres a way that i could have this unit installed so it wont come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkelly9
thanks so much for your input... i think im gonna bag the tv tuner and just get the regular dvd unit...however when they install the unit is there anyway they could like weld it into place so that theres no way a thieve could steal the unit? i plan on getting a car alarm (which would you reccomend) but still i hope theres a way that i could have this unit installed so it wont come out.
what do you mean "bag the tv tuner" its built into the unit itself. when the unit is installed theres gonna be a button on the remote and/or tv that says "mode" and that should switch it from av1 to av2 to tv tuner to am/fm and to cd. if that is the same unit that i am thinking of, the reception isnt that great on the tv tuner mode, but you can always get an antenna to help with that.

when its time to install it, its just gonna fit into the mounting bracket that fits into the factory spot. welding it wouldnt be very smart b/c if the unit fails some kind of way, how do you plan to get it out? plus, with all the electrical wires right there......its kinda asking for trouble. when it is installed there are like 2 or 3 screws behind the unit that hold this metal piece in which makes it a little difficult to remove. but if your stuff gets stolen (lets hope not) thats why you put insurance on a car anyway

when the entire unit is closed, peering in the car, you wont even be able to tell you have a tv. depending on how much it is to install, i would also suggest throwing in a ps2 as well. it provides for much entertainment when you and your friends go out.

as far as alarms are concerned, i've heard that viper has some pretty good ones out. some models are setup to where the car can only be started with the key. it cant by hot-wired. some also have gps on them too if i'm not mistaken as well as electric start (if you have an auto). but some of those vipers can be pricey. the ones i described can be in the range of $400-$600 and possibly higher.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
some models are setup to where the car can only be started with the key. it cant by hot-wired.
You mean, like, umm, our cars are stock? We have the whole PATS thing, but it's not going to keep a TV in your dash for you.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

well theres really no "saftey measure" that i can think of that you can take to ensure that someone doesnt jack your stuff except for insurance. b/c if someone really wanted to take the unit, they would just cut around the mounting bracket and yank the unit out, then snip the harness out.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

get an in-dash tv. it folds up and you cant tell by looking at it. They even have removable face-plate tv decks.

Viper is made by DEI. all their products are good when you buy a decently priced one.

Don't actually buy from crutchfield. They are over priced. You can actually watch Overstock.com if you have time to wait. I have heard of people buying in-dash dvd players for $300 on overstock. Not cheap ones, but name brand hi quality ones. They go quick and are fairly rare on there.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yeah crutchfield is just a base price guide.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video