speedo off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to electricstang99
Question speedo off

Is it alot of trouble/work to go and readjust the speedometer? The guy before me put in some white gauges and i was driving by one of those radar things the cops put out and the speedo read 35 but i was being clocked at 30 so i thought it might of been something with the radar. SO later on me and my brother went driving and drove past it, he was doign 35 and it read 35. I've notice in traffic that I can be diong the speed limit but people are passing me up. Any way to fix this myself? or do i have to go to a mechanic or something?

....and i was in a heated race with a civic the other day... he was turbocharged. He only won because I tripped on a rock :uhh:
http://mustangunderground.com/uploads/pictures/ME.JPG
electricstang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
usually its the wheel size that sets the speedo off a bit nothing that a flashtuner cant fix i dont see why doing white face guages would set anything off as long as they're meant for a v6
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #3

Yeah, they are ment for a v6, sales reciet says for a v6 and it only goes to 120 like every other v6 gauge. So what do i have to do to fix it?

....and i was in a heated race with a civic the other day... he was turbocharged. He only won because I tripped on a rock :uhh:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i've put white faced gauges in my car. what you have to do is mark on the stock gauges w/ a pencil the needle position when the car is off, then try to get the needle position as close as you can with the new gauges. all of my needles are dead on except for the speedo which is 2-3mph off (it says 70, really 68). what you need to do is put it back in place as close as you can to that little needle that the speedo rests on when off. if not, get on side of you friend at a certian speed and when you both are running at the same speed, stick the needle in that way at the speed you both are traveling.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
if that 04stang said doesnt do the trick then its definitely the wheels ( are they 17s or 18s ..17s usually dont set it off but 18s will make a bigger differance ) your stock size wheels are 15s with 205 60 15 tires..if the aftermarket wheels/tires exceed that or are smaller than that then it will set your speedo off a tad.
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
i've put white faced gauges in my car. what you have to do is mark on the stock gauges w/ a pencil the needle position when the car is off, then try to get the needle position as close as you can with the new gauges. all of my needles are dead on except for the speedo which is 2-3mph off (it says 70, really 68). what you need to do is put it back in place as close as you can to that little needle that the speedo rests on when off. if not, get on side of you friend at a certian speed and when you both are running at the same speed, stick the needle in that way at the speed you both are traveling.
and if you do that, use cruize control if you have it :thumbs2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
you could also do that by using the digital speedo feature. Hold in your odometer/trip button before you start your car, keep holding it and turn your car on. After a few seconds your gauges should all max out. Release the button and push it a few times until the display reads ENG000. Now drive the 000 will be you speed.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
before you put your key in the ignition, push and hold the trip odometer needle in. Turn the car to ON without starting the car, hold it there a few second sand the gauges will flip over and back then crank the car with out turning the key back off, just go from on to cranking it. Now push the trip odometer button until you see MPH, there is also an rpm and others if you want to check these. You can then see what your speedometer is on the trip odometer (the correct speed) and what the needle reads, you can pop the needle off and stick it back on correct at say 55mph~ or so. You can not just stick it back on you must be going a given mph and stick it on... its not easy but not to bad.

same concept but on pre 99 you have to get a friend to go 55 or so mph beside you...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I can't believe nobody has said this, but your speedometer will be off a certain amount like 04stang said. It should read 80 when you are going 78. That's normal and Ford just covering their asses.

White faced gauges won't have anything to do with your speedometer being off as long as they are for your car, and you said they were.

The wheels WILL set ur speedo off some, it's just math. It has to happen.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #10

Yeah i think im gonna hold in the odometer button and do it that way.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the speedoneedle should line up perfectly with the digital read out, ford probably got em wrong im sure... just part of it but if you have white face gauges they are probable messed up front that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video