mach 460 modifications - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to charkelly9
mach 460 modifications

I recently bought a jensen vm9410 http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4248&langId=-1

Now when i went to see if the dvd player worked with my 03 mustang 460 system i was told it wouldnt... i was told Installation Details for your 2003 Mustang

Your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system. If you replace your factory radio, you will need to replace your factory amplifier(s) with aftermarket amplifier(s). The Crutchfield adapter (free with most receivers) supplies connections for power and ground only.
If you replace your factory radio, you will also need to replace your factory amplifier(s) with aftermarket amplifier(s).
Free receiver installation gear will be included with your order.
You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

Therefore i was told to get rid of my stock 460 amps and i bought a Audiobahn A4004T which pushes 50X4... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w0YTW0h...20&I=037A4004T

I also bought a XCH6RF 6disc jensen cd changer http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...3534&langId=-1

i guess my question would be
A> Can a novice to electronics W/cars be able to rewire my 460 speakers to the new amp and install the headunit?
B>Will all of my stuff work together perfectly?
C>Do i need to rewire(what gauge wire?) all the 460 speakers or how do i make this work thanks
charkelly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

you pretty much have to rip out the mach system if you want more power. The speakers more than likely won't be able to handle the new amps due to power increase. Pretty much the only way to modify the Mach system and keep it is a new headunit and adding one sub. After you add amps and stuff, you need to rip it all out to put the new system in.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
I was gonna swap my stereo over from my old car, but the new one has the mach system, and I was really impressed with it. Im not even gonna bother switching crap out.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thats not exactly what i want to do.. i want to add a large sub in the near future just i also want to keep the mach speakers because ive heard time and time again that they are very good and buying aftermarket will only give me minimal gains with quality for alot of money. So basically this audiobahn amp was an attempt to salvage the speakers. I really dont wanna get that involve and gut the whole system... WIll this work?- audiobahn amp is close to the power that the speakers were recieve from the old amp.. only a lil more but if i lay off the power a bit then will everything work together/
Old 06-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

how hard is the install and swap that im talking about? like taking out the stock amps ... rewiring the new audiobahn to the new dvd reciever and possibly dynamating the trunk for the future new sub and amp
Old 06-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

hard. the mach system is very propriatary. Meaning most of it's components will only work with the same components. new amps = new speakers and wiring.

if you need to put a dvd player in your car, then buy a headunit that has a flip out screen and is also a dvd player. buy a wire harness and hook it up to your your current Mach system. The new headunit will also have a wire connecter for a sub. Buy a sub and hook it up via that way
Old 06-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
hard. the mach system is very propriatary. Meaning most of it's components will only work with the same components. new amps = new speakers and wiring.

if you need to put a dvd player in your car, then buy a headunit that has a flip out screen and is also a dvd player. buy a wire harness and hook it up to your your current Mach system. The new headunit will also have a wire connecter for a sub. Buy a sub and hook it up via that way

the headunit i bought is a dvd/cd/mp3 everything in one with a flip out screen... so your saying i wont need the audiobahn amp? just keep everything except the headunit and add the 6disc to the new headunit -w/ a wire connecter to the speakers or what? ive heard it lower the sound quality to wire the speakers via connecter to the new headunit-b/c it works best with the mach 460 headunit.......... So i have NO need for this 4channel amp whatsoever ... thanks monkey. im just trying to figure this all out
Old 06-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I cant answer that as well as others as I am not very good at stereo stuff. I had the Mach system in mine and went to several places around town when I wanted some extra bump in the trunk and they all told me what I am telling you.

Your best bet would be to find a mom&pop stereo company and go talk to them about what you have and what would be best. Don't buy anything but just listen to the information. Then go talk to a mainstream place (Best buy, circuit city, et. al) and see what they have to say and quote you on price. Their philosophies will be different. I would talk to at least 2-3 places before you get rid of the amp. There might be a way to run it.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

see.. i talked to this guy at crutchfield help service about why the headunit wouldnt work and he mentioned the connecter or the 40X4 or 50X4 amp to rewire the system... i m gonna go talk to a few places and figure out what i can, thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

i had a pioneer head unit in my Mach system and it worked flawlessly. Didn't need a different amp, just a wiring harness
Old 06-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

monkey i called like 10 places... heres what im thinking... resell the audiobahn 4 channel 400rms amp... use connecter with jensen headunit and stock mach system along with 6 disc changer in trunk... i got some quotes for the work...
45 to change headunit
45 to mount changer
15 headunit install kit
NOT sure on connecter yet..
other hidden charges im sure

do you think i should try to pursue this swap on my own since i wont be changing amps. Would it be a better idea to have it installed professionally or not?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

it's an easy swap on the headunit. Wouldn't know about the cd changer, but it should be easy. But for $100 you basically get a warrenty on the install. So if something does go bad, then it's them who have to fix it.

Its up to you. You might wanna install the headunit yourself. buy the $15 harness and solder the wires or at least electrical tape them good and put it in. Then have them wire up the cd changer.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

nice thats not a bad deal at all with the install warranty... do you know anywhere that i could buy the connecter needed for the aftermarket headunit install?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to CCstang2004 Send a message via Yahoo to CCstang2004
Ight man this is whats up, If you want too change your headunit with your mach460 stero system you dont have the cahnge amps at all because they are hooked straight into the mach460 speakers in the rear and i belive they are hooked up the mirror speakers aswell*but that i dont know*. I changed my head unit and everything right in my drieway no problem. The hardest thing to do is too loose the 6 disc changer, but if you want a 6 disc changer get one and put it in the trunk and it will be really easy if you know how too run wires and hide them and hook it up too your head unit. The wiring harness you can buy at stoes like walmart, best buy and circuit city. If you really want too do all this by yourself you will need alot of patience and sumone too help you, cause if you do it alone it will take forever trust me i know, lol. But just snatch a friend up and work it man, some people are really scared too do this stuff themselve's but i dont blame them. But if you are a little hesitent about puttin it in yourself i would get it done prof. cause like they said you get the warranty, it breaks its on them. BUt hey thats the best advice i can give ya man seeing as i used to install systems.
CCstang2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Dang, I missed this thread. You can run an aftermarket hu off the 460 system. Simply buy the right connector ( can't remember the number off the top of my head) and plug it all up. Your connector will have one end you hook to the aftermarket hu, one that hooks into the power/highs connector, and another that hooks into the 460 harness and sends a signal to the amps which in turn sends it to your 460 speakers. Not a difficult install at all, I have a how-to on removing the factory radio around here somewhere, dunno where it went to. I could do it in under 10 minutes, but I've done it alot. I say...give yourself a good 30-45 minutes, and you should be all good.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh mine i popped my panel piece out and removed my shift knob so i could lift it off the shifter and did it that way but i have no idea off the thop of my head what it looked like its been so long ago.. And yeah lowflyn is 100% right about the wire harness and the connectors so now you know for sure how stupid can really be that say you cant run the 460 system with aftermarket stuff. BUt i will try and find the harness for you and post it in the thread.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite now you can either run an adapter to your system which the site would be http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2URoEyy...arch=142c4fdk5, but you have too know how to cut the wires and run them and soder them togther not that diffucult but you said you arent very electronic inclined so that would be a little diffucult. But i wouldnt cut them just in case you want too use a factory setup again. Then your wiring harness number is 70-5519 its made by METRA and also if you get the metra harness make sure to not forget to hook up BOTH of the amp turn on wires for all the amps. And here is the site for the wiring hanrness http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=265-790. Hope this helps ya man.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah and the wire that hooks up your amps to utilize your power for them is blue and white striped wire.

And also if you need help removing the mach head unit here ya go man:

You have to remove the hole bezal around it. first pop off the shiftbezal. then the whole piece from the ac vents and runs all the away down, it pops off for the most part, i cant remember but there may be 2 bolts at the bottom, otherwise its just cliped on there. then that will expose the 2 bolts holding the radio in place. there is lots of room back there for an fm mod.

Hey i hope it helps ya man if it doenst i will get online for you and search for hours if this doesnt help, cause this is pretty much the same exact thing i did with my 04 and it wasnt that hard.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys.. i found an awesome deal and had the changer plus the headunit installed professionally for only 100... i felt like it was a good deal for the install kit and connecter was a large portion of the cost.. the dvd is amazing... only i feel ive lost some sound quality in the swap... its not as loud as it was with the 460 headunit and not as clear... kinda a let down however its still loud and will do for now .. pics will come
Old 07-21-2005, 01:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thats good man and the sound quality go into your settings and fide your treble and turn it all the way up and set your bass where you like it and try moving your balance setup from the front to the back until you finally get it sounding good, it took me about 3 days to finally get mine where i want it and i dont touch it anymore unless its the bass then i will turn it up for some good songs that hit but other then that the hard rock and the country go back to normal, lol. But he man good luck with the new system.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

thanks i will mess around with it and see what i can do

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video