Push to start for a 2000 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Push to start for a 2000

I know they make push to start kits for 05-09, but can I get one for a 2000? Will an 05-09 one work for a 2000? I was thinking I could mount it in a coin holder or the cig lighter
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Push to start for a 2000

possible yes, but as far as i know it would need to be custom made. you can buy a wiring kit and set it up yourself but seems to me like a waste of money. and whenever you install that you won't have the acc feature, i use alot with my audio system.
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its very possible, but... you still have to put the key in and turn it to the on position so.. it kinda is pointless. Plus... what if you are driving and someone hits the button, it might activate the starter and mess it up (same event as would happen if you try to turn the key to start the car after its started already) but I dont know for sure.

I would try to find a kit for your year to make sure they exist, I dont see what would change in 05 to allow it where it wouldnt in pre 05 though~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

That seems to be very popular in the GT500's, but I don't understand it. Like SpectorV said you still have to put the key in and turn it on. With a manual you have to also still push in the clutch.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I like the idea but to pull it off in the mustang it would need a system like on some of the newer cars where you dont have an actual key, just a key fob. When its near the car you push the button and it cranks.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I like the idea but to pull it off in the mustang it would need a system like on some of the newer cars where you dont have an actual key, just a key fob. When its near the car you push the button and it cranks.
Technically, Ford has had something similar to that inside their keys for like a decade. It was a pain in the *** when putting remote starts on, we usually had to have an extra key made that you just left in the car forever tied up under the dash to trick the computer into thinking the key was in the ignition.

Its the same kind of RF theft deterrent thing that the fob is for, it was just built into the keys.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Someone over on Modded Mustangs did the whole project and posted up some nice pics and videos of it in action. You can go over there and check it out for yourself to see the whole process and what it may look like. You can build off his ideas as well.

There are two conditions you need to make this work:
(1) Have the starter crank
(2) Keep the ignition on after the engine turns over.

The easiest way to do this is to have a SPST or some other type of constant on switch hooked up to the ignition. You flip the switch and the ignition turns on. Then you have a momentary push button hooked up to the starter side and pressing and holding it down to start the starter and the car and let go when it does start.

This eliminates the need for turning the key to ignition and then push the button. I think the kit allows for you to push the button to turn the ignition on, and to start it either the brake or clutch has to be engaged. Nissan's push button works like this. Ideally you would like something that works like that where by varying pushes allows you to start the car or just turn it on.

The two major concerns with this is the Ford key has a RF transmitter inside the key which when is placed near the steering column sends a signal to the immobilizer bypass which allows the car to be started. If you have a key made just for the doors and try it in the ignition the car will crank but won't turn over, this is because of the immobilizer bypass doing its job. If you look at your key and look at the top by the key ring you will see an embedded square this is the RF tag.

Now this is easy to bypass, just get the key replicated by someone who can do the RF tags as well (Ford or some locksmiths) or if you have a working spare you can leave the key hidden in the steering column or just put the key in the ignition when you start the car. The downside to having that extra key in and the push button is that the car becomes very easy to steel.

That's a quick overview/summary of this idea.

I would assume that the 05+ kit is just a plug and play kit which doesn't require any major modifications. It could be easily adaptable for anything pre-05 but I don't know that. I assume that the ignition harness is different and it's just a plug in. The push button though is made to fit right in the S197 accessory outlet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

sounds pricey but if thats what u want do it.
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You could actually probably pick up everything you need at Radio Shack for cheap.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure theirs a way to bypass the key and just have the button.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

The key type im talking about are the ones that actually dont go in the ignition, you just have them near you when in the car and it will crank, its not a key in the conventional since.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
The key type im talking about are the ones that actually dont go in the ignition, you just have them near you when in the car and it will crank, its not a key in the conventional since.
Mi Madre's Caddy has that. It's just a huge fob that you keep with you when driving. I put it in my pocket, sit in the car, depress the brake, and start the car. It's convenient for that car because it has the personalized settings - (steering wheel, seat, mirrors), but I personally like turning the key in the mustang.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what you are talking about, like a keychain dongle that you just leave in your pocket. The thing is that the ford "PATS" ignition requires that RF sensor embedded into the key to do basically the same thing already. Its just that since its embedded into the key, its pretty much invisible to the consumer unless you start trying to do a remote start (since you can't really start the car without the key in the ignition, you never noticed that you had to have the key in the ignition or it wouldn't start).

I suppose that super technically, you could just pretend your ford ignition key wasn't a key at all, and is just a keychain RF transmitter like you describe. Install the pushbutton start, and it shouldn't work unless your key is in your pocket. The only problem is that I'm not sure if "in your pocket" is going to be close enough for the anti-theft system to pick it up. (this is all assuming the key doesn't need to be physically attached to the steering column in some way, which I can't really remember off the top of my head)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the Nissan and Lexus keys which is just the fob. They have the similar RF in them except the fob doesn't need to be near the ignition for the immobilizer to bypass it. The start position on an ignition cylinder is nothing but a fancy security enabled momentary push button.

I remember we had a customer come in when Nissan first started having the push button cars in the Altimas and she wanted a remote start, but the bypass modules at the time required the spare "key" (actually the "chip" inside the key). The problem with doing this was that if the chip stayed in the car then anyone would be able to just push the button, start the car and drive off - just like if you left your keys in the ignition.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I thought ford had it setup so the key had to be in the ignition, not just near it~
Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That might be true now, I haven't done remote starts in around 8 years. Most all of the companies have done multiple versions of their antitheft junk. GM keys had that little black pill embedded in the key in their earlier PASSLOCK system, and by the time I bought my S-10 in 98 they had removed that and upgraded to the second version which required some kind of resistance check when you started the engine. When I put remote start on the truck I had to measure the resistance with a multimeter when you turned the key, then buy a module to dial in that resistance without turning the ignition.

Basically any kind of push button or remote start is going to require you to defeat and basically deactivate the factory theft deterence hardware/software. I just thought it would be nifty if, due to the way fords worked, you could keep your key as a kind of key fob dealy for extra security and coolfactor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video