CD player help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Red face CD player help!

i have a 1994 mustang with a tape player in it, and i was just wondering if it was possible to put a cd player that came out of a 2002 ford f150 sport; its a 6 disc changer. its also the cd player that is in the 2003 F350. i know that there is enough dash room for one, but i need to know if it's possible and what i need to do it with.

thanks (:

jessicanich0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Louisiana
Re: CD player help!

if it has the same connectors as your care it might work. but I think you will do a lot better with aftermarket head unit.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I believe the '01+ Ford radios are double DIN units. '94 should be a single DIN. I would also think the electrical connectors changed along. I can say this for the Mustang but not the F150 or the other trucks, although my friend's 03 Explorer (or similar) had a different radio (DDIN, single disc, cassette, non-Mach system). Up until '01 the connectors were long and skinny, as well as coded as black and gray. The upgraded sound systems used a square black connector (8-pin). Around '01 the Mustang changed the harness to a square red and black plug. I believe one or two other changes occurred depending on the specific audio system and it might have even varied for the '03/04 year.

However it could still be very possible if this is the case. You will have to get the correct female harness to plug into the car, and then the correct male harness that plugs into the back of the Ford radio. Both of which they make and are readily available. You will just have to wire these two harnesses together.

The second thing you would have to do is get the radio trim bezel out of an '01-04 Mustang and replace it with the current one in your car.

Also the '01-04 DDIN radio is held in by two screws on the bottom and a plastic clip on the back of the radio which slides onto a metal track. The screws are covered up by the plastic trim. You might have to move (or remove) the current metal bracing on the inside.

Hope that helps.
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

If you do chose to use an aftermarket cd player (the stock one just gets in the way of the shifter), check out the 99-00 install on our Articles section as it should be the same install as yours.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video