Aftermarket HU questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation Aftermarket HU questions

Hello All,

I want to make sure I do this right but I am little confused. I am planning on getting this new Head Unit Walmart.com: Pioneer DEH-11E MOSFET 50W x 4 CD Receiver w/ Front AUX input and RCA preout: Auto Electronics. I am confused on which Metra connection this needs. I have a Mach 460 and want to keep the speaker setup for now. I have 3 different choices Metra is giving me and while I'm pretty sure on which one is right, I need to make sure I'm correct. here are my 3 choices:

METRA 70-5520 plugs into existing car wire harness to install a new car stereo Ford/Lincoln/Mercury 03-06; Plugs into Car Harness HARNESS; - pretty sure its not this one

METRA 71-5520-1 Wire harness 4 factory radio Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Harness 03-06; 7 HARNESS; - not sure

METRA 70-5521 amp integration harness 4 new stereo Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Amp Integration 03+; For amplified sound systems, includes Ford, Lincoln and Mercury 03-05 Turbowire and a 8-pin harness with 2 pairs of RCAs HARNESS; - Pretty sure its this one but the connections don't match the stereos connection, The Walmart page has a pic of the back of the stereo and I'm not sure if this will work.

I have never installed a HU into a Mustang and the article on this site doesn't show a pic of how this is setup behind the stereo. Any help?
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Re: Aftermarket HU questions

oooh... you said Mach... have fun.

Mach is a dirty word when it comes to aftermarket audio in Mustangs.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Bah Humbug! The Mach system is fine with aftermarket stuff (for the most part ).

While not set in stone; any Metra Part# beginning with 71-xxxx is a reverse harness. This would actually plug into the back of the factory radio.

As for the correct harness between the two you have indicated, it's neither one.

You have '99 Mustang correct? Single DIN radio?
You want Metra Part# 70-5511. It is the factory amp integration harness. You could also use #70-5110 but you will probably find that you'll be even more confused. This harness has RCA leads which plugs into the radio instead of just splicing the wires in. However your radio only has 2 RCA outputs, which are probably just rear audio which can double function as subwoofer. This detail isn't really that important but good to know. The other thing you could do is just cut off the RCA connectors so you have just the wire leads, but then you actually just have the previously mentioned #70-5511 harness.

BTW behind your radio should be a skinny long gray rectangle harness (which connects the power, ground, power amplifier (if applicable), power antenna, and the radio illumination power and grounds). If you have the second half as a CD player (on bottom) then you will find you have an extra set of wires running between the radio and CD player. This basically connects the radio/CD player so it would act as one unit. This is controlled by the 6-pin square harness, which you can remove. You should see a wrapped up 8-pin harness as well. Here are your audio wires. The aftermarket harness will have a long skinny gray connector (guess where this plugs into). The other aftermarket harness will have an 8-pin square black harness which plugs into that square 8-pin plug left behind the radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Wow... lots of good info, but my bad, I should have indicated I have a 2004 with a Double din. I will be switching to the single din. So is everything still the same?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Also this is were I have been looking for my Metra parts. It says these specific parts are for a 2004 Mustang Parts for 2004 FORD MUSTANG - photos, charts and more
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Bah Humbug! The Mach system is fine with aftermarket stuff (for the most part ).

While not set in stone; any Metra Part# beginning with 71-xxxx is a reverse harness. This would actually plug into the back of the factory radio.

As for the correct harness between the two you have indicated, it's neither one.

You have '99 Mustang correct? Single DIN radio?
You want Metra Part# 70-5511. It is the factory amp integration harness. You could also use #70-5110 but you will probably find that you'll be even more confused. This harness has RCA leads which plugs into the radio instead of just splicing the wires in. However your radio only has 2 RCA outputs, which are probably just rear audio which can double function as subwoofer. This detail isn't really that important but good to know. The other thing you could do is just cut off the RCA connectors so you have just the wire leads, but then you actually just have the previously mentioned #70-5511 harness.

BTW behind your radio should be a skinny long gray rectangle harness (which connects the power, ground, power amplifier (if applicable), power antenna, and the radio illumination power and grounds). If you have the second half as a CD player (on bottom) then you will find you have an extra set of wires running between the radio and CD player. This basically connects the radio/CD player so it would act as one unit. This is controlled by the 6-pin square harness, which you can remove. You should see a wrapped up 8-pin harness as well. Here are your audio wires. The aftermarket harness will have a long skinny gray connector (guess where this plugs into). The other aftermarket harness will have an 8-pin square black harness which plugs into that square 8-pin plug left behind the radio.
It looks like it will be the last piece with the RCA's. If I go with this setup, is it true that I am going to lose my tweeters? My front speakers are blown so only my rear and tweeters work. I don't have the money to replace them now. I would rather replace the head unit because the Mach CD changer is a piece of you know what.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Metra Part# 70-5521 should be correct then. What does the factory plug look like?

You shouldn't have to lose your tweeters. You might lose them if you use the harness without RCAs but you will want to keep the RCAs and plug that into the back of the aftermarket HU.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Crutchfield told me the same, so that problem is solved. Now for which head unit? I have three in mind here. Tell me what you think.

JVC KD-S100 - JVC KD-S100 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Pioneer DEH-2100IB - Pioneer DEH-2100IB CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood KDC-MP342U - Kenwood KDC-MP342U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Personally I like the first one for all the features. I has a list price of 649 dollars but now 130, but my dad keeps telling me "you cant beat a Kenwood." Any suggestions here
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I am a fan of Pioneer's stuff. If I was to do a comparison with the three this is how I would go about picking it.

Amongst the three their features seem limitless and the design is comparable between all of them. That is it is not like one of them is touch screen, has a LCD screen or is heavy on colors. As for the individual units:

JVC - I'm not a fan of this particular unit. It has features, most of which require expandability (which is not uncommon for most radios). This is also probably the main reason still I did not choose it over the others. What I mean by this is if you wanted to use an iPod you have to buy the iPod adapter for it separately. JVC quality is their so that was not a concern. I think the only consideration I gave towards it was that it had plenty of RCA outputs. This would be good if you decide to expand the audio set up with aftermarket equipment. You can basically run all your RCAs right from the HU. This is much better for sound quality.

Motorized face for the unit is nice. I don't see this as a plus or minus because it can go either way, really just depending on your mood that day. The SD card slot is cool but I think the reality is that not a lot of people put music on an SD card. Especially when you have iPod functionality and USB connectivity. USB is also nice for all your songs that you have on their, but I don't think most people carry the majority of their songs on USB.

Kenwood - Kenwood has really come up as a brand along with the Pioneer and JVC units. Again it has what seems like limitless features: iPod control, USB and enough RCA outputs to power your basic needs. Again the expandability of it comes at an even bigger price. Tag on HD radio tuner (+ subscription), BT adapter, and an extra USB iPod adapter. The iPod here uses the same cable you use to transfer your songs from iPod to computer (and vice versa) but you will need to use that same cable and plug it into the front USB slot. Also the Kenwood faceplate always seems to busy for me.

Which brings me to my choice (I think I covered the basics for the previous radios anyway).

Pioneer - The thing I like most about Pioneer is the faceplate. I've always felt (read: opinion) that Pioneer is the most easily navigated, has the biggest, most uncluttered screens. The plus for this particular model is that the colors are OEM green. If the dash lights in your car are stock (i.e. OEM green) then having a green lit radio may be more appealing to the eyes.

The big thing for the Pioneer is that the iPod cable is included with the radio. It also usually plugs into the back of the HU, so you can route the cable to the glovebox or anywhere you really choose and keep it hidden from would-be theives. Putting your iPod in the glovebox (for instance) keeps the items out of view so you "don't have to worry" about it getting stolen. I don't know how true it is but if I remember correctly Pioneer and Alpine used to be the only HU that actually properly charged iPods. Other manufacturers just allowed for audio playback.

If you have a Zune or another type of MP3 player like one from Creative, the audio jack is nice since you can easily plug and unplug the device from the front audio jack - and you'd only have to buy a $4 audio cable to do so.

The Pioneer's "software functions" such as EQ bands, andother such adjustments seem like the opposite on the others, and that is actually limited. But unless you are fine tuning the audio controls using the EQ I doubt you will really miss this feature. It also only has one set of rear RCA outputs, which basically means if you ever want to amplify your speakers the best would be the rears. Subs would work but may not filter the higher frequencies and any surround sound in the audio would be displaced if you amped more than the rear (but now it's getting a little complicated and is a tangent of the actual situation).

What you have to do is ask yourself what you want in the radio.
  • iPod function?
  • USB?
  • SD Card?
  • Aux Port?
  • Motorized faceplate?
  • Detachable faceplate?
  • OEM Color?
  • HD Radio?
  • BT (BT Audio, Cellular BT, Both)?
  • Amps? How many? And For what audio components?

These were at least a few of the main concerns I pointed out.

If you are open to another suggestion I would suggest Pioneer's DEH-P3100UB. For another $20 bucks on the Pioneer you mentioned you get the same as the DEH-2100IB plus all the other features. You get the expandability of BT and HD Radio. Pioneer's IP-Bus allows simple add on functionality as well. Also if you decide to go with amplifiers this has just enough RCA outputs to have you covered.

Enjoy my novel.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video