Couple of Appearance problems that are bugging me... Help Please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

Couple of Appearance problems that are bugging me... Help Please

Ok I have a few things that are kinda bugging me. I bought this car when I was overseas in Iraq, and recently returned about a month ago. It is a 2007 V6, I kno I kno a V6. But I love it. It as a few scrapes and scratches. What is the best method of getting rid of these? I was thinking about taking it to a professional but I think it would cost way too much money. Also under the hood, there is all this white stuff on all the plastic pieces. I already checked the hoses and everything and it is all fine. I tried CRL, Simple Green among other things and nothing worked. Any suggestions? I am thinking about just repainting over it. What kind of paint should I use? I have attached a few pictures to give you a visual of what I mean. Thanks again all.
OIF2009Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Couple of Appearance problems that are bugging me... Help Please

Hmm...you could try some Super Clean Degreaser. That might remove that white crud. I feel even more confident in Eagle One Nevr Dull - that stuff is amazing...It is intended for cleaning/polishing chrome and metal surfaces, but I've used it on painted plastics/rubbers and they've been fine, haven't cracked or discolored.

That one scrape on the front bumper looks pretty bad, I don't know of any home remedy to fix that one. It looks like it went right through the clearcoat.
Nu Finish and those Scratch Doctors don't work for sh*t, so I wouldn't bother with them.

You could try using a clay bar on the entire car. This will take off any wax and resin on the paint, and it might clean up some of those light scratches.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Some of those deep scratches might need to be taken to a professional.

Lighter scratches may need some of those touch up paints, some paint polish and some work.

As for under the hood, I can't say I've seen anything like that. If regular cleaners aren't cutting it try some rubbing alcohol or acetone or Goof Off (Xylene). Word of caution: alcohols tend to eat away at rubbers, so if you use use sparingly and on inconspicuous, "non-important" (i.e. not fuel lines) areas. Part of getting those stains out is knowing what caused them. If nothing seems to work, try some light sanding and paint. Get a high temp paint that will adhere well to plastics and rubbers (and/or any other parts you may be painting - metal paint for metal, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Where do you live? Or rather, where did the car come from? That white **** may be some prob caused by whatever envorinment it's in. Or possibly, some [B]MEAN[B] **** that someone has sprayed on there, trying to "clean " it.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #5

This is what I just found out. I got told the way that the dealership detailed the car before selling it was steaming it under the hood. So whoever did didnt wipe it off, so it stained. I was thinking about taking it all apart and repainting it. Any suggestions for paint? Also anyone know any cool designs I could do, since I gotta take it apart anyways? As for the scratches next year I am probably going to take it to a professional and have them fix it. Thanks for your help everyone. If anyone has any idea how to get the stains out without repainting would be helpful. Thanks Again
OIF2009Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Pick up some high heat paint for the engine bay. I like to use Krylon but I don't think their Fusion branded line will withstand the extreme temperatures. You can really pick up any can you want but I will throw our Dupli Color's Engine Enamel or High Heat lines. Go with any colors you want. You can maybe do the air filter box the same color as your car, possibly the lines too.

I would also like to point out that you can probably get new, colored or upgraded lines, or even stainless steel. You could also get a CAI and remove some of the mess that way too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

The only cool underhood design I've seen so far, is the CAI pipe on SpectorV's cobra. It's pretty badass looking. ( Mustang Evolution - SpectorV's Album: Signature Mod Pics/Info - Picture )
Dump the stock air box, and add a cold air intake (better looks and more hp). Just replace the black "smurf tube"...it's cheap, and you can get it at about any parts store, maybe even walmart. Replace the oil cap with a billit or chrome (I'll be going billit with all of my dress-ups). The valve covers, there are several options. You could paint, but it'd be a pain in the *** to do with everything else in the way. So, IF you were gonna remove everything, just to paint em, might as well go with some nice looking aftermarket valve covers...lol. The clamps that hold the plug wires on the coil...hmm...I'm not real sure about them. I've only had my GT for a week, so I've never taken them off, yet. Like sonicpony said, you may want to try scrubbing the hell out of everything with something like never dull, just to see if it'll take that crude off. IF it will come off, I'm sure it'll have to be scrubbed off. As for paint, on the valve covers and any hard surface, I'd use engine paint, or header paint. For the hoses,and flexible stuff, you may want to find some sort of "flexible" paint. I've seen it, but I forget the damned name of it..lol
Now, I'm not trying to spend all of your cash on replacing stuff, those are just my opinions. But you can never go wrong with the CAI. I'm not as knowledgable as osirisguy,sonicpony, or most of the other guys, but with the experiance I have, I'd definately replace the piddly, cheap stuff, and TRY to clean or paint the big money parts (except the CAI..lol)
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

I have to agree. Rather then hastling with painting those parts just go ahead and get a CAI. You get looks and performance. On those scratches i suggest going with the clay bar on the whole car adn then follow with a 3 stage wax. I recommend meguiars. Its a PITA and takes forever but I think you will like the results.
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video