Tweeter HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tweeter HELP

Hello All,

I just put in a JVC KD-HDR50 Head unit and what a difference. The sound is much better than the stock head, even with the all of the Mach 460 components. However, when I turn it up on a song that has a lot of bass the tweeters distort just a little bit. I have the equalizer on the iPhone's equalizer set to treble boost and then the stereo's equalizer set at
Mode SUB BASS BASS MID BASS MID MID HIGH HIGH ULTRA
HIGH

FreQuentY 60Hz 150Hz 400Hz .1kHz 2.4 kHz 6kHz 15 kHz
USER +10 +8 +4 +2 +4 +8 +10

Is my equalizer just off or would it just be easier to buy bass blockers? It doesn't distort a lot but enough for me to notice. Also what is the right bass blocker? I found some at Crutchfield.com - Bass Blockers Any Help?
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Tweeter HELP

Bring down your trebles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Bring down your trebles.
I am a little confused... I thought bass distorted the tweeters, I have the trebles up and the voices sound clear. I only hear the distortion when the bass kicks the tweeters
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

If you have all your treble set up high though your tweeters will still distort. Try turning down the equalizer too; everything. Start at a baseline and tune your audio from there.

Tweeters play the high frequencies (treble) and only function properly at certain frequencies. I think the human ear has a frequency range of 20-20,000 Hz (or there abouts) and the tweeters will play from say 5,000 Hz to 22,000 Hz to cover that upper spectrum and a little bit more.

First off when you use a treble boost it is doing just that: amplifying the treble. This just means that there is more current powering the speaker, and when there is more current than the speaker can handle you start to get distortion and blown speakers.

Now just because those tweeters don't play anything below (random number) 6,000 Hz doesn't mean they won't pick up some other frequencies. You can try playing 1,000 Hz through them and still get sound, it will just sound horrible (probably distorted). If the bass is up and you turn up the volume; at some point your tweeters will think it should be playing the lower frequencies (bass) as well and try to play them and that should also make it sound horrible (distorted).

So yeah I'd say turn everything off (treble boost, bass boost, etc...), and set the EQ to a baseline. From there you can set your EQ parimeters: your treble, mids, and bass to their full potential, right up to the point where they will distort. Also at either your EQ baseline or your new settings (or try it at both) try one by one and combinations of all those frequency boosts. More often than not they cause a lot of distortion. You'll see this as you switch the boosts on and off.

That should help a great deal and if it doesn't work you may have bad tweeters wherein you can either replace them or pick up HPF (high pass frequency) filters.

Hope that will help, let me know how it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

get a component system or jus the crossover with speaker and tweeter on it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video