i think these will hurt a bit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
i think these will hurt a bit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BSAA%3AUS%3A31

lemme add a little detail to this, straight off the a-bahn website

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobahn website
Eternal Series Subwoofers
The name says it all. Audiobahn’s Eternal Series Subwoofer is without a doubt one of the most durable and heavy-duty woofers in the industry today. It’s built to withstand practically any kind of workout you can think of. Designed for serious power handling, it was initially made popular by SPL competitors, but now this woofer is available for everyday use. The 3-D chrome and electric blue flames are exclusive to the Immortal and Eternal series, a perfect accent for such a a heavyweight.

AWES12P
Common Features
PHAT 2” Foam Surround
Three layer poly cellulous core cone material
Triple Stack Magnet
Chrome plated 3-dimensional cast Aluminium Basket
25mm Top Plate for Increased Efficiency
Dual voice coil wound on black anodized aluminum former
more info(copied and pasted right off their site also)

now, this sub is a step under there straight up competition series(immortal series) subwoofer. i was quoted 550 a piece from audiobahn. 500 ****ing dollars PER sub. i got 2 of them for 340 shipped. now i know this guy in my town who does strictly audiobahn installs(he met me cause he saw my eclipses box and had to see it in person), who said he COULD NOT get these subs from any vendors. and i just got 2 of them, and theres still 18 left(2 subs per qty, he had 10 when i found him, now he has 9qty, 9x2.....)

and im only going to use ONE of these summa*****es in the stang. the other i will try to sell for oh, 450 bucks? sounds good to me. i am going to do something like Tedness has with his kenwoods, though i will be just doing the single sub in the middle, with the amp taking the place of the spare tire under a nice floor with a plexiglass window(so you can see teh hotness). i also might ditch the mach speakers inside(since the amps are right under the trunklid, theyre gonna have to be remounted elsewhere or totally removed), then i will be getting all audiobahn speakers inside with their own amp(a flame 100w amp should be sufficient). ill also be using some caps just for show, crossovers and breakers, all that stuff i can get for cheap through my other hookup(the one that cant get the subs, but everything else).

since im not doing the body kit till spring, getting the sound system done by then is my goal.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: i think these will hurt a bit?

i grew out of the sound system phase to much money for the payout, and that crap is heavy
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Immortal series is an awesome speaker, just weighed too much for me. I wanted my sound...and my little speed lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, that plus its quad voice coils. and almost 800 a piece.

btw i already have a guy that wants to buy my "spare" eternal(since im only using one), cause he has a eternal already and wants to get a second.

and yeah, that **** is heavy. 66lbs freight is what the UPS tracker says. but thatll just make the rear end stick better since all the weight will be over the rear axle. ill make up for the added weight and loss of tenths(100lbs=.1 second in the 1/4) when i get 4.1's.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

You're gonna have problems getting a box for one of those in your trunk....the size box you really need is bigger than the opening on your trunk. Do like I did one time....built the box, fitted it together outside the trunk, then I put it all together inside the trunk and it worked.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

i actually liked having that extra weight in the back. i didn't realize that until i stripped everything out including my rear seats, and my back end started sliding all over the place.
i haven't had my radio working in months and like to listen to my car and realized i never needed 1300 watts of power in my trunk. I have 4 or 5 subs laying around i'm not using if anyone wants them for cheap. 12 inch Rockford fosgate. 2 10 inch jbl and 2 10 inch punch subs.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

i like very clean low bass, not super loud obnoxious ghetto stuff, just enough to make the overall sound quality that much better. but being me, i go all out and usually run more than i need. even though ill hardly turn it up, i still like to know its there just in case i do have to show off.

and yeah, well be building the box outside the trunk, then taking it apart and rebuilding it back inside the trunk. im going to have to remove the mach amps and reroute them and remount them in the space towards each side of the box on the floor(since im only using one sub, there should be lots of space on each side of the box for them) so i can have more clearence top and bottom wise.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh my god. wtf is ford thinking.

i have the mach system(as most visiting this thread know already) and the amps are mounted under the rear deck. theyre mounted on a plastic rack, which takes up the space between the trunk lid and the rear seats, and is a good 5" deep, and just is intended to make the amps look good under there. totally useless piece of plastic. itll be taken off tomorrow, along with the first step, rerouting and remounting the mach amps out of the way. thall free up alot of top and bottom clearence.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Way to much for me... I like my audio balanced

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:13 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah but you gotta remember, the sub is in a closed compartment, so you either overcompensate with that by getting a bigger sub with more low end, or the bass just isnt as good as say, a hatch or something.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

you can get the biggest sub you want but it'll never have that low frequency bass without a good box. the box is what makes the bass. when i make my boxes i use a special caulking and a sealer so i don't have to use any nails or screws. makes it more durable and can seal tighter. and the angle at which you place the sub and other speakers has an impact too. if you're doing this yourself i'd try a couple different positions before mounting it permanently.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 PM   #12
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
i'd try a couple different positions before mounting it permanently.
I agree 100%
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
i'd try a couple different positions before mounting it permanently.
haha thats sig material right there.

i use screws and liquid nail on every mating surface. on my other boxes i use expanding foam sealent on every inside mating joint to ensure a 100% airtight seal. though this box wont be able to do that, since you will see into the box, i dont want to see yellow expanding foam when i look inside. i was thinking about using strips of gasket paper stuff on all the mating surfaces, as well as the liquid nail and screws. but well see, i think if i borrow my uncles tablesaw, everything should come out perfect and square.

i just got finished removing the "amp rack and space taker-upper" in the trunk. man that sucked major balls. why does ford put 6 sets of bolts facing one way, then **** with your head by making the last set of bolts face the other way(only accessible from the top rear deck)? everyone was saying that since the speakers were mounted in the trunk rack, and it was like a sealed box, that when i take them out theyll sound like crap. i beg to differ, i have deeper bass now than i had before, and it just sounds fuller than before. strange. maybe its cause instead of the tweeters i made use of the 3.5" rockford fosgate mids i had in the eclipses leftover pile. or maybe its cause the trunk is acting like a big bandpass box now. anyways, cleared lots of space for a box, and took away a good 15lbs of useless plastic. i just gained .015 in the quarter, dayum. and dont mind the crappy wiring, i was running out of patience and didnt want to just listen to crappy front speakers all day tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000478.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	11088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000479.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	11089  

Name:	IM000480.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	11090  

Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

heres a diagram of the setup.

basically the sub will be pointing inwards into the cabin. the box is made out of 3/4" MDF, with the rear panel 3/4 plexiglass. there will be black vinyl covered "walls" that go on the front and back sides of the box that cover the trunk in a flat pseudo wall, to give it a clean effect. the rear one(window side) has a cutout a little wider than the front one(sub side), and through that you will look through the plexiglass into the sub box, seeing the massive eternal subwoofer inside.

the inside of the box will be sprayed black with lots of clearcoat. i might have to put some sort of blue neon tube in there, as it might be really dark and hard to see the sub, especially at night. a neon will do the trick, and also accent the subs chrome flames quite nicely. only thing im worried about with a neon, is the subwoofer shattering it in seconds with the bass up.

on one wall(the walls are split in half down the middle) there is a cutout and flush mount inset for a pair of capacitors. the other side will hold either a nifty fuse box(way overkill) or a cool secondary crossover(which matches the amp). each cutout will have some sort of blue neon or LED to light the insides up.

on the cabin side, you will have to pull the seats down to see front of the sub and box. itll also have pseudo walls surrounding it, im debating sticking the mach amps flushmount in the walls to let people know im still reppin the mach system. if not, theyll just sit in the space between the two walls and box.

the amp will be flush mounted into the wheel well, with a plexiglass cover to keep asshats from putting fingerprints on it. i might get my name etched in it in cursive, so people dont have to ask who did it. the whole trunk will be recovered in diamondtuck(to get rid of that ****ty grey crap), its a almost velvet like fabric that has shiny black diamonds in it. really clean looking. itll go well with the vinyl walls.

the first pic is a topographical layout. the second is what you will see when you open the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StangTrunk1.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	11091   Click image for larger version

Name:	StangTrunk2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	11092  

Old 10-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

damn man, you have a lot of free time

looks like a cool project though. i loved the box you had in the eclipse
Old 10-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

found killer deals on vinyl and foam
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yourauto...ore/index.html

here i paid 50 bucks for 2 yards of grey vinyl back when i wrapped the eclipses sub box in it. i just paid 50 bucks for 3 yards of black vinyl and 3 yards of 1/4" foam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video