Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Custom mods to the stang *opinions wanted*

5K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Knyteguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, as some of you may or may not know, I had my car vandalized by some morons about 2-3 weeks ago. I decided it would be a perfect opportunity to shave my car, and mold a few parts. I have a friend that's doing all of the work for my stang. I left the stang with him late last Friday night and he is expecting to be done by this Friday. The paint he's going to shoot is duPont two-stage with ChromaBase basecoat (2 coats) and Nason general-use clear (3 coats). It will be shot in a downdraft booth, and baked.

Shave:
Antenna Hole *DONE*
Both Keyholes *DONE*
Fender Emblem Holes *DONE*
Rear Ford Emblem Hole *DONE*

Mold:
License Plate Panel *DONE*
Side Scoops *DONE*
Side Skirts (incl. door filler panels) *DONE*

Replace:
Rear Glass *DONE*
20% Rear Glass Tint *DONE*

Paint:
Bumpers
Trunk
Underside of Hood
Entire Car (less trunk and bumpers)

The paint section was split up because the trunk, bumpers, and hood will be shot, then the car shot later.

Pics:

See less See more
#11 ·
i like everything, but the mirrors... all in the same color as teh car, unless black, looks odd to me. I guess I am just used to the 03 cobra mirror with the flat black part.

#14 ·
i was gonna suggest door handles, but you already said no. hhmm, I am looking for stuff you haven't shaved and I have... what about fuel filler door and relocating it behind the tail light?

would it be a lot of work to mold the s281 wing to the decklid and make it sort of a duck-tail thing?

#15 ·
fast64 said:
i was gonna suggest door handles, but you already said no. hhmm, I am looking for stuff you haven't shaved and I have... what about fuel filler door and relocating it behind the tail light?

would it be a lot of work to mold the s281 wing to the decklid and make it sort of a duck-tail thing?
I am working on a hinge for the fuel filler door over Thanksgiving. I wanted to do the S281 spoiler, but I don't have the time right now. I'm thinking about doing it when I do the fuel filler door.

#18 ·
You snapped that pic? I've seen that pic all over the net. Do you have any other pics of it where the tail light is seen at an angle? I was looking at how to do mine like that but the way that the tail light is made makes it difficult to swing it out. It looks like I will have to swing it out at a slightly upward angle. Do you have any infoon how they made the hinge attach on the inside of the trunk or the actuator that they used?

#19 ·
I doubt the pics you have seen are the same, I don't even think the Mustang Week coverage is on this site yet. Thats the only picture I have of it, sorry. To get it to move in and out, you could probably use a fairly decent sized electric motor and have one of the hinges connected to the an arm on the motor. If you know how, you could have it stay on for as long as you need, or, which would be much easier, just have a 3 position switch with on position for off, on, close, etc.

You could also just have it spring loaded (to keep it closed) and pull it open by hand.

I think to get your lights to open you will need to have it hinge open at the same angle that the outside of the light meets the 1/4 panel.

#22 ·
Well guys, bad news. Andrew put the whole car under a florescent light and he saw tiny waves in parts where the filler didn't sit right. So it looks like it's gonna be another two weeks before it's done. He and I both want it done right, and it looks like it's gonna take a bit of time. Oh well, **** happens I guess...

#24 ·
mysteed said:
Well guys, bad news. Andrew put the whole car under a florescent light and he saw tiny waves in parts where the filler didn't sit right. So it looks like it's gonna be another two weeks before it's done. He and I both want it done right, and it looks like it's gonna take a bit of time. Oh well, **** happens I guess...
that sucks, better than a wavy car though. Did you ever do anything with the fuel door?

#25 ·
fast64 said:
that sucks, better than a wavy car though. Did you ever do anything with the fuel door?
No I have skipped the fuel door for now. I'll get it done soon, but getting the car back from paint is my first priority as I have alot of engine work to do and not a whole lot of time to do it in.

#26 ·
sucks about the delay, but best to get it done right. few things suck more than paying for the same job twice

jimmy, that tail light fuel door is crazy cool, any chance you remember what car it was? i'd love to do that **** on my stang. if anyone tries to steal it, once they run it out of gas they'd be like "oh ****, where's the gas door?" haha... you could also use another door popper on the taillight to pop it out, just rig it to a viper alarm as one of the options. then use a combo magnet and latch (like on some cabinets where you close it til the magnet holds it, then push it in to lock it in the flush position) to hold it closed. maybe even a wiper motor to pull it back closed if you forget it... that would be so cool... i'm gonna add that mod to my to do list lol

[/highjack]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.