Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Yellow Headlights

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  wiarumas 
#1 ·
Hey, I want to thank whoever originally posted the "how to" on restoring yellow headlights. I fixed mine in less than an hour and a half. All it took was a little effort, 2 cups of coffee, and about 7 cigarettes.

Yes I know that the headlights will eventually yellow again... IF I do not keep them clean. I am a little confused as to why some of you seem to be arguing about "just buying new ones". Yes that would be the easiest fix, BUT... for the price of a new set, I would rather spend the money on new springs, shocks, hell...at the price of a new pair, you can buy 2 of your 4 new wheels, or half a Diablo, or a new X-pipe, or racing brake pads, or a performance shifter, a nitrous system.... etc.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to some guys that they might have to polish their headlights every now and then?!? I mean, of all the time I spend detailing my GT, what is a few extra hours a year? By the same rational, I guess I should never bother waxing the paint. After all, it will just oxidize again eventually....right? Maybe the "easiest" fix would be to just have the car painted every spring, (yea right).

I am married with a family, and what money I can invest into my GT will be spent wisely to make it what a Mustang is supposed to be...fast. I'm glad some of you prefer to spend the money on new headlights; I personally appreciate it, because that is about all I will see of your car as I hit 4th gear as the speedo sweeps past 115.

So, thanks again for the "quick fix" on the headlights. You just saved me enough cash to spend on my next horsepower upgrade! (And...my headlights now look awesome!)

Jason

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
johnwayneismyda said:
Hey, I want to thank whoever originally posted the "how to" on restoring yellow headlights. I fixed mine in less than an hour and a half. All it took was a little effort, 2 cups of coffee, and about 7 cigarettes.

Yes I know that the headlights will eventually yellow again... IF I do not keep them clean. I am a little confused as to why some of you seem to be arguing about "just buying new ones". Yes that would be the easiest fix, BUT... for the price of a new set, I would rather spend the money on new springs, shocks, hell...at the price of a new pair, you can buy 2 of your 4 new wheels, or half a Diablo, or a new X-pipe, or racing brake pads, or a performance shifter, a nitrous system.... etc.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to some guys that they might have to polish their headlights every now and then?!? I mean, of all the time I spend detailing my GT, what is a few extra hours a year? By the same rational, I guess I should never bother waxing the paint. After all, it will just oxidize again eventually....right? Maybe the "easiest" fix would be to just have the car painted every spring, (yea right).

I am married with a family, and what money I can invest into my GT will be spent wisely to make it what a Mustang is supposed to be...fast. I'm glad some of you prefer to spend the money on new headlights; I personally appreciate it, because that is about all I will see of your car as I hit 4th gear as the speedo sweeps past 115.

So, thanks again for the "quick fix" on the headlights. You just saved me enough cash to spend on my next horsepower upgrade! (And...my headlights now look awesome!)

Jason
Good stuff!

#4 ·
wax them as you would the paint on the car and it will keep them from yellowing. I would put wax on them when i cleaned up the car now and again regardless of if i waxed the car or not.

#6 ·
Sorry, no before and after pics, (I left my digital camera at work this weekend). But if headlights were teeth, the before would look something like a gas station attendant from the Ozarks, and the after would look like a close up of Ms. Americas smile. Thanks again for the help!

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.