smoked head/tail lights? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
smoked head/tail lights?

i have an all black 04 stang..black rims, paint, tint, black shorty antena... should i get smoked lights? i dont want it to look "ghetto" or anything though. opinions?
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: smoked head/tail lights?

I think the tinted tails and head lights would look *****in on your black car. I've seen tons of v6's, GT's and cobras all blacked out and they look pretty sweet imo.

I just got the tail light tints from American Muscle for Christmas. I won't be able to put them on till march, but I think they'll look good. They came in the smoked finish, so they aren't going to completely "black" out the lights, just tint them.

I hear ya when you say you don't want that "ghetto" look, lol. Some people use the tint sprays and put too many coats on and completely black out the lights, I mean they are literally black. I don't think that looks good either, but a "smoked" look always improves the look of the stang. It gives it a stealthier, sleeker look.

If you do decided to do it, just make sure to the do the side markers behind the fender on the rear bumper, and the third brake light. You don't want tinted heads and tails, and a bright *** red side marker.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a few pics from American Muscle:

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

do you recommend me using the spray or buying the smoked covers? if its not completely BLACK but looks good & stealthy, id be very content
Old 12-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
do you recommend me using the spray or buying the smoked covers? if its not completely BLACK but looks good & stealthy, id be very content
I'm going with the tint strips on everything. I already have them on the fogs, and I'll soon have them on the tails and 3rd brake light. I like them, and I'm not the best at applying coats of paint, lol.

Some recommend the spray, and it does work, but if you use too many coats and it turns out darker than you want...you're screwed. I'd keep track of how many coats you apply on each light.

Don't buy the plastic covers, like the GTS ones. They look like **** and collect dirt and crap that gets trapped between the cover and the light. Plus, I've heard of them falling off and cracking, so no good in my book.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i think the tail light covers look horrible. i hate he flat look. but what do you think about the headlight covers? and tint strips on the back lights? i dont think id be doing the strips by myself- im sure it would have a ton of bubbles.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, that's why I hate them too, they eliminate the tri bar look completely.

Some vendors like Stangmods sell the headlight tint strips that apply just like the tail light strips. The tint strips aren't that bad, you just have to make sure you keep the surface of the light and the tint strip plenty wet with a soapy watery mix, so you can adjust them exactly where you want. Then use a credit card and funnel the water out, starting at the center and working your way outwards.

You could also look into some smoked out headlights like the ones at American Muscle. They are expensive, around $200, but look really good on black cars. The inner housing is smoked and the amber turn signal indicators are smoked out too. They're a really nice upgrade if you have the clear headlights like on the 99-00 mustangs.

Dark Smoked Mustang Headlights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

I used spray on my front markers and side markers.They turned out great and i used alot of clear.Im gonna spray the 3rd brake light but buy the smoked tailights,i want those to look super clean because they will be more noticable.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I used spray on my front markers and side markers.They turned out great and i used alot of clear.Im gonna spray the 3rd brake light but buy the smoked tailights,i want those to look super clean because they will be more noticable.
That is very true. The tail lights and head lights are the most noticeable. The smaller lights like the 3rd brake and side markers aren't as much...so you could get away with spray on them if you want. DDTCM used the spray and it turned out, so it does work.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Just do light coats and keep track of how many you do.Do the same on both so they come out even.The amber is harder to cover than the red.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

are the markers the small red reflectors on the sides? do they light up? might sound retarded... haha
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
are the markers the small red reflectors on the sides? do they light up? might sound retarded... haha
Yes and yes.Get a shop rag and cover the head of a flathead screwdriver and just pop them out.Those are the ones to practice on.Prep them with a scotch brite very lightly.Then spray them with the tint (vht) in even coats doing the same amount on each pass for each marker.Let dry 10 min in between coats,keep doing this until they are to your liking.When they are dark enough let them dry for about a hour then start the clearing process.Use lots of clear,it will help protect them.Do not jump the gun and put them in before they dry.Just dont rush the process and you should be fine.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man ill let you know how it goes when i do it
Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I think the tinted tails and head lights would look *****in on your black car. I've seen tons of v6's, GT's and cobras all blacked out and they look pretty sweet imo.

I just got the tail light tints from American Muscle for Christmas. I won't be able to put them on till march, but I think they'll look good. They came in the smoked finish, so they aren't going to completely "black" out the lights, just tint them.

I hear ya when you say you don't want that "ghetto" look, lol. Some people use the tint sprays and put too many coats on and completely black out the lights, I mean they are literally black. I don't think that looks good either, but a "smoked" look always improves the look of the stang. It gives it a stealthier, sleeker look.

If you do decided to do it, just make sure to the do the side markers behind the fender on the rear bumper, and the third brake light. You don't want tinted heads and tails, and a bright *** red side marker.

Is your tint real thin like for windows or is it the thicker plastic kind?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It's the thicker stuff...I got the fog light strips and they were thicker too.

I think the real thin mm stuff is the stuff they sell on ebay. I've heard bad things about the ebay tint.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

does it cover the side of the taillight where it kind of tapers or does it just kinda blend in?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Looking at the strips, it looks like it covers the entire section of the light. Each bar is fully covered by the tint. I'll probably have to heat them up good to get the tint to wrap around the edges of the light. I also got the 3rd brake light strip too.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Regular
Supporter

Im gonna just order the smoked ones.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im gonna just order the smoked ones.
Yah I thought about it, but I couldn't see spending $124 on them...I'm too cheap, lol.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah I thought about it, but I couldn't see spending $124 on them...I'm too cheap, lol.
Not saying the tint sheets are bad (I think they look pretty good on the new edge) But The tint sheets for the S197 doesnt cover everything and a little red comes through.Plus im a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not saying the tint sheets are bad (I think they look pretty good on the new edge) But The tint sheets for the S197 doesnt cover everything and a little red comes through.Plus im a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Yah the tint strips are precision cut to fit the entire light on the new edge styled lights. They were more expensive than the typical "ebay" strips for $16.99, and there were several positive reviews, so I'm feeling good about them.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

here's a pic of my car from 3 years ago. lol freshly smoked tailights using niteshades. done by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big K lights.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	21397  

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_K View Post
here's a pic of my car from 3 years ago. lol freshly smoked tailights using niteshades. done by me.
PoPo's get on your case about them?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

even thou my car isnt black i still say do it

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
even thou my car isnt black i still say do it

Just to let you know, that first pic always makes me wish I got 18" bullitts...so thank you

Secondly, is that Nightshade spray-on on those tail lights.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
i have an all black 04 stang..black rims, paint, tint, black shorty antena... should i get smoked lights? i dont want it to look "ghetto" or anything though. opinions?
MAN i bet those black tail/head lights would look sick on that black paint! down here all black is called Murder out...or Merked out as we call it now! all black would look good man and Darkshadows yours looks Sharp as well bro! post some pics Blackonblack with what they look like...we love pics
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video