Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1999 Mach system

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  lowflyn 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to get one of these systems to work? I got a 99' GT a week ago and neither the radio or cd player work. Both come one and show the time and radio statio, but no sound comes out. Can anyone help. thanks

#2 ·
You have external amps. You have one I believe under your center dash and you have 2 amps under your rear deck. Check under the rear deck and make sure those amps are there and connected. You will also want to check the connections on the front amp if you can find it. And pull out your radio unit and check all the connections behind it.

#3 ·
and if that doesn't work, turn the mute button off. lol...

but seriously yea like he said check the connections. you're getting power to the unit so the amps should be working fine. If the radio is on then the remote wire (usually thin blue wire) should be connected so there's gotta be an audio wire loose.

#5 ·
but if the amps are blown i thought he wouldn't get any power to the deck? isn't it hooked up in a series circuit? I guess with the stock set up he can still get power to the deck without having to go through the amps if it's not a series circuit. hmmm.:chin: i'm curious now....

#6 ·
i brought up some schematics to confuse the hell out of you and make me look smart.

im actually just posting them cause i just found them not too long ago. i recommend saving them and loading them in PS or something so you can see the text and follow the routes better.

i think maybe one of the amps is dead. the stereo comes on if the rear amps are not plugged in, i know that for a fact, from when i was rewiring them to get some longer harnesses for my trunk project. if even one connector is unclipped, none of the rears worked. although this is just on the rears, i dont know what the effects of the front amp are if its fukked, i assume its either blown or disconnected.

#7 ·
That schematic does no good without the corresponding ones....lol. All I see is wiring running from the cd player to the harness. And then a big jumbled up crossover running to the front and rear tweets, then it stops. The top one pics up at the other side of the rear amps. O wait...nvm, I see now, I was following it backwards somewhere...yeh, it makes sense.

Back on topic however...I'd check the connectors behind the radio unit before anything, that'd probably be easiest. What you need is 2 of the U shaped DIN radio removers for Ford vehicles. If you don't have these, run up to wal mart or somewhere similar, they have them for around 3 dollars last time I checked (I bought a set about 4 years ago....they're starting to wear out). You put those in the holes on the sides of your current radio or cd player, push outward and pull. Just check behind there for the wires being connected to something.

#8 ·
^people i knew just used clothes hangers when they aquired sound systems. lol

#9 ·
i dont think the double-din mach units have what youre talking about. i had those on my 94 tbird but their factory units were single din like youre talking about. my mach460 doesnt have anywhere to slide something in, i assume you take off the radio/ac control bezel and remove the player that way. i could be wrong though, i havent needed to remove my mach yet to find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.