Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Back window etching?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  DarkShadow 
#1 ·
The pony on my back window is cracking. I was thinking about just getting a new one, but got to thinking about seeing if I could get it etched into the glass...

1) Has anyone seen this?
2) How much would something like that cost?
3) Is there anyone in the area that does etching?
4) What cons would there be?

#2 ·
im sure anywhere that knows how to replace windows(be it automotive or home/business) would know where to point you for good window etching.

#5 ·
my mom's windshield got a tiny tiny scratch in it about 4 months ago and now there's a good sized crack from the top down to the bottom. it got worse every week as it got colder. I don't know the difference with the thickness or whatever but i'd be hesitant to scratch anything in to it.

#7 ·
DarkShadow said:
The pony on my back window is cracking. I was thinking about just getting a new one, but got to thinking about seeing if I could get it etched into the glass...

1) Has anyone seen this?
2) How much would something like that cost?
3) Is there anyone in the area that does etching?
4) What cons would there be?
I have seen it. There is a vendor at the adirondack nationals every year that does it on site. It looks amazing when he is done.

Cost, I don't remember off hand. I asked once, but have no idea.

Not sure of anyone down here, but I am sure there is.

Cons would be....um....well...can't really think of any. Well, maybe keeping it clean, but I am sure it is nothing too complicated to do.

#9 ·
Actually, a rear window won't crack like the windshield. The windshield is two layers of glass with a layer of plastic inbetween. The rear window is a single sheet of tempered glass, hence the reason they bust into a million pieces instead of just cracking. I think it'd look pretty cool, especially if you did some sort of chemical tint in it.

#12 ·
EclipseGSTdude said:
werd, decals are for ricers.

get it etched into the INSIDE part of the window, then tint it. i bet that would look ******* sweet.
That would be interesting to see...and would protect from dirt and make things permanant. I know it looks great when done on the outside....I wonder how it would look etched inside...

#13 ·
the only bad part would be that you would **** up the rear defroster(since youd cut the lateral strips), and getting tint to stick to etched glass is prolly a very hard thing to do. but yeah, id do a real light fine etch on the outside, like the kind youd see on a shower door or window or such, a very fine almost 2000grit sandpaper feel, but still pretty smooth.

#14 ·
EclipseGSTdude said:
the only bad part would be that you would **** up the rear defroster(since youd cut the lateral strips), and getting tint to stick to etched glass is prolly a very hard thing to do. but yeah, id do a real light fine etch on the outside, like the kind youd see on a shower door or window or such, a very fine almost 2000grit sandpaper feel, but still pretty smooth.
Exactly what I was thinking of, something that just spraying off with a hose would be able to get most of the dirt out of. I think I'm going to try it before too long. I thought about the inside but I do use the defroster and I want to keep the tint, so...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.