Replacing Driver Side Door - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Replacing Driver Side Door

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it does involve appearance so here goes. I am looking at replacing my whole driver side door as my door skin is very much out of shape and just recently my door handle broke off. A new skin is $500+pain and install since it requires special tools and such. So i figure thatll cost about $1000 in the end. MPS auto salvage or something like that has a door in my color for $450+shipping and i would most probably be able to do the install myself. Anyways how hard is it to swap over the lock mechanism, speaker, wire, etc? Am i better off doing it this way? Im really trying to avoid high costs as the car isnt even worth much to begin with and im looking at getting a shelby in the not so near future. Has anyone ordered from this place? And does anyone know where i can find some detailed instructions? Ive found them for other year models but they look different and dont include everything. I must be entering the wrong search words or something. Any input is appreciated.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Replacing Driver Side Door

take it to a body shop and get an estimate, they might can save the door. Either way the more info you have the better a decision you can make.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
take it to a body shop and get an estimate, they might can save the door. Either way the more info you have the better a decision you can make.
well the door, itself is fine. but the skin is beat up beyond repair. and i know that if i have to replace the skin, it means bringing it to a bodyshop which will cost way more. In fact after the accident i brought it to a body shop just for an estimate and they wanted $2000 for it. That included the dent i have on my rear quarter panel, but one of those dent places could pull that out for cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

hmm the issue with a door it the colors, being the same, still may not match~ it all depends on how well the paint has been taken care of as well as how good the paint on the door is you are purchasing.

Either way if its cheap you can buy the door and down the road get the skin painted since its not dented up it wont cost as much just to paint~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
hmm the issue with a door it the colors, being the same, still may not match~ it all depends on how well the paint has been taken care of as well as how good the paint on the door is you are purchasing.

Either way if its cheap you can buy the door and down the road get the skin painted since its not dented up it wont cost as much just to paint~
yea i never thought about that. i just dont wanna fork out a lot of money to get it fixed, when a new car is so close. it seems like nothing goes right with the car and i have a curse when i touch it. so with my luck, it would be a little different color. i might just get a new door handle and paint it for the time being until i can get my new car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video