I'm 1/4 way to deaf! :D - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'm 1/4 way to deaf! :D

eBay: NEW 2006 KENWOOD KAC-X812D EXCELON AMP 1600 W. CLASS D (item 9724401777 end time May-11-06 12:32:01 PDT)
just bought that... now I just need the sub, a 2 ohm Kicker L7, the install... and the car to put it in ... we should be doing something about the car in the next week or two. Brent, my old amp and sub are wanting a new home...

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: I'm 1/4 way to deaf! :D

and I'm waiting on a new check lol

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

ok ok ok.... I"m 1/2 WAY TO DEAF.
sub problem, taken care of... I got it in 2 ohms.

eBay: 06 KICKER S12L7 SOLOBARIC 12" Subwoofer 12L7 L7 SUB NEW (item 9725365499 end time May-17-06 19:15:38 PDT)

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

how hard would it be to build this box? I don't think it'd be terrible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kicker box.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	13126  

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Let me know when you can fit a 13 1/4 inch sub box in the trunk of a mustang in one piece...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'd build it in the trunk... not buy it. I had like 12 semester hours of college in construction... I just need to know the proper dimensions, so I get optimal sound from the box.. and sub.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Yea, have fun with that building the box in the trunk. You'll love it when it doesn't move enough to get your spare out...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

who uses a spare?... I blew out a tire on my old car... called my dad, and he came with the car trailer. I'm not gonna use the spare at all... it's just wasted weight as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Personally, I like to be able to pull my sub box out, so I have more "rompus room" with the seats folded down.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
who uses a spare?... I blew out a tire on my old car... called my dad, and he came with the car trailer. I'm not gonna use the spare at all... it's just wasted weight as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, perhaps when you are somewhere 300 miles away from home, no trailer, and in the dark without cell coverage you'll understand....
Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
I dunno, perhaps when you are somewhere 300 miles away from home, no trailer, and in the dark without cell coverage you'll understand....
why would I be 300 miles from home? The car isn't gonna be a DD... it's gonna be almost like a show car. This fall, I'm gonna pick up an older Explorer 4x4 for the DD.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

Check out this website. Look for the "Deathbox". I had friend make one for his two 8-inch subs back in the day for his Miata. I sounded like two twelves in a traditional box. This box hits, check out some of the testimonials. I am making one for two Type r twelves and a alpine 1800 watt amp. The dimensiona are small and should fit.Audio by DECWARE(tm) High Fidelity Engineering Co.
99 Atlantic Blue V6- SOHC 4.6 swap, Tremec 3650, 8.8 rear end/ Flowtech Ceramic LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Spintech side exit exhaust. K&N drop in filter, removed snorkel, 18x10, 18x9, Anthracite Bullitt Replicas 295-35's, 265-35's. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, M&M Camber Plates
wrecked2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i believe the total height of the trunk is 14.5". its gonna be a tight fit. with the spare and the trunk hinge out, its very possible to finnagle a sub box of that magnitude into the trunk. i got mine into the trunk and its 14" High x 22" wide x 20" Deep.

if the car has the rear mach deck dohickey, thatll have to be ****canned.

trust me, i spent a month on the trunk area. i can give you exact dimensions if i head into the attic and open up my amp box. i can point out the best ground spots, best places to drill for hinges, and best positions to be in when working on the car(and doing other things).

those "special" boxes are good for smaller subs, but when you get into competiton 12"s and youre moving alot of air, they become highly inefficient. nothing beats the right box dimensions for the right sub. audiobahn helped me out, i told them the application, that it needed to be a wide box, and deep enough to fit a eternal and 3" of clearence. he was able to tell me specs that kept the box in the correct internal volume, even compensating for the volume taken away by the sub itself, and compensating for having no ports and not a bandpass box(since it sits 3" behind the rear seats, it makes its own bandpass enclosure by design).

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
why would I be 300 miles from home? The car isn't gonna be a DD... it's gonna be almost like a show car. This fall, I'm gonna pick up an older Explorer 4x4 for the DD.
And how would I know that? I am not trying to pick a fight here man, Im just saying why use such a big sub, why not 2 small 10's. There isnt much trunk space. But if its going to be a show car than its a different story.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
And how would I know that? I am not trying to pick a fight here man, Im just saying why use such a big sub, why not 2 small 10's. There isnt much trunk space. But if its going to be a show car than its a different story.
cause my set up is gonna be great .. and I don't know if I'm gonna take it to shows or not yet. The car we're looking at now is white, and I don't know about white, I may have to have my buddy repaint it. $1500 should be enough to have it painted whatever color I want.. for $2000, should be able to get a killer paint job too. Depends on the car, and what's wrong with it. Anyway, I need to wait for the stuff to get here, and then I'll start working on fabrication.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I run 2 12's and have enough room to get my spare tire and such out within 2 or 3 minutes. All I do is unhook the boxes, slide them out, unhook the wiring, and fanagle them out the hole in the back (that's the hard part). I made my boxes to where they have 1/16th inch clearance getting in and out of the trunk. Talk about a tight fit..l.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

First box I bought was a 300 dollar Alphasonik Box with a 12 inch sub included. The thing was pretty, I knew I had to have it the minute I saw it. It was black leather with polished aluminum accents, a mirror in the bottom, Plexi-face, 2 polished Aluminum ports on top and an Orange Neon inside.

It was 17 inches tall, I got it in by trimming metal off the piece the backseat attaches too.

I got a flat in New Jersey, and the only way to get my sub out was to dismantle almost my entire back seat enough to pull it into my cab enough to pull me spare out.

NOT FUN. I now have a single DVC 10" with a small homemade box that does the trick. I am Happy!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

GSTDUDE, I know how to build boxes, with the right volume and all that stuff, i have been a Installer for about 9 years(now on the side). I have worked at mom and pop shops and for one of the large retail companies. The last set of subs i had were 2 12 inch MTX Thunder 9500 with 2 older Alpine MRV 1000 amps pushing them. It was louder than it needed to be, but being in a Integra i had alot of space. I have heard this box with jl 10w7's and it was louder and punchier than my sealed box with the 12's with about the same amount of power. Only reason i was looking into this box is space limitations in the stang trunk. If you look at the website there is alot of reaserch into the box and you can use high excursion/compettion subs in the box. Plus this box is adjustable. You look at you sub specs for the box, and adjust the box baffle to the sub. It is a great design just look at the website. Something to consider.
99 Atlantic Blue V6- SOHC 4.6 swap, Tremec 3650, 8.8 rear end/ Flowtech Ceramic LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Spintech side exit exhaust. K&N drop in filter, removed snorkel, 18x10, 18x9, Anthracite Bullitt Replicas 295-35's, 265-35's. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, M&M Camber Plates
wrecked2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

amp is in. Can't wait to start building the sub box... maybe next week I can start doing that. I just need the trunk to build it in. I can't decide where to put the amps though. I'm thinking about putting them in that cubbie hole in the trunk.. build a double deck thing to hold them up. I guess I still have some time. Tomorrow, my sub should come in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video