Is Black Wax worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is Black Wax worth it?

Just an off the wall question but I noticed there are some colored wax’s on the market. Would say a Black wax enhance the hiding of more serious scratches or is it just a marketing ploy?
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is Black Wax worth it?

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. You don't want tint in your wax. You want the wax to be as optically pure as possible to give you that nice deep wet look. Tints will just fubar that all up.

If you want to remove some scratches, get some scratch doctor or some other scratch remover type product that has abrasives in it to actually remove the scratch and not fill it in. Will take some effort on your part if you do it by hand, but it will be a ton better than a tinted wax.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If i use regular wax on my Fusion (black) it sometimes brightens it and not in a good way. like the clear becomes milky. So i can see where a black wax or a wax made for black cars would help there. I just save the carnuba wax for the mustang and use syn on the fusion.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Black wax works! No marketing ploy there.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Black wax works on black vehicles in my experience. I used it on my old beat up 95 ranger and it looked good as new for a longtime until the black faded out of the scratches. It also gave it a great shine for a while to. I couldn't complain
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you have surface scratches someone with a good buffer that knows what they are doing can do magic.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've got one of those PortaCable 7424 Orbital Buffers coming today to help with the work? My wife’s car is black and mine is blue, so will I need to have dedicated pads for each if I use the black wax? I also heard from trolling the internet that the wax product Black Magic was a good one if you can find it? My wife’s car is fairly new 2003 but is in need of a serious cleaning and has a number of light marks from the kid’s bicycle handlebar plastic covers and has not been waxed in 2 years. In the past I have always used good old McGuires #7 polish then whatever wax.
Thanks for your input
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you dont know how to buff dont learn on a nice car lol... I personally dont know much about it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Buffing incorrectly can burn/sand the clear or paint on a car. I stress how careful you must be. I have seen inexperienced guys cleaning new cars at dealers burn the paint.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Buffing is very simple but as stated above,if its your 1st time.....don't use a newer car as a tester. Just remember you don't have to use a lot of pressure,keep it flat and watch the trim.Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Wink Re: Is Black Wax worth it?

I see you have the 7424, which is the random-orbital buffer. I used this type of buffer for a long time. These are a lot more user friendly than a true orbital buffer. It is a lot tougher to screw up with with a random-orbital (although it can be done).

You only need to have a pad specific to the type of wax you are applying. You don't need to have one for each color of car. Don't mix waxes on the same pad (eg. a polish and sealant).

Some hints:
You don't need to apply much pressure. Pretty much the weight of the buffer is sufficient. Keep the pad flat to the paint. Don't angle the pad on the paint. Watch corners and edges.

Start out with the least aggressive pad and wax. There are different 'grades' of pads, so for a general purpose job, you would want one with a minimum or small amount of cut. You may need to experiment to get the right combo.

As mentioned above, if you have a car you can 'test' on, all the better. Otherwise, I would pick the body panel that you look at least frequently to start with in case you don't like the results
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

^^ excellent advice. Another thing to remember is put your choice of polish/wax on the pad and work it onto the small area you will be buffing.Otherwise it will sling everything everywhere,lol. Also,polish in a crisscross pattern or left to right,then top to bottom.Everyone has their own method,it just takes practice.
Check out Autogeek.net for some tips.
Good luck and don't forget the pics!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
I've got one of those PortaCable 7424 Orbital Buffers coming today to help with the work? My wife’s car is black and mine is blue, so will I need to have dedicated pads for each if I use the black wax? I also heard from trolling the internet that the wax product Black Magic was a good one if you can find it? My wife’s car is fairly new 2003 but is in need of a serious cleaning and has a number of light marks from the kid’s bicycle handlebar plastic covers and has not been waxed in 2 years. In the past I have always used good old McGuires #7 polish then whatever wax.
Thanks for your input
I have a 7424 It's my favorite. It's been through hell and back and still works good as new. I do recommend the 7.5" pad though. You have to buy the 6.5" adapter. If this is your first time cutting, start with a green cutting pad. Finish waxing with Blue. I also use mine inside the car on the lowest speed. I have a leather brush and an all purpose brush for carpet. Don't try that right away, I tore up a floor mat the first time. The second time I wore a hole trough the carpet. Fortunately those were practice items.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video