4 Gauge wire help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
4 Gauge wire help

Any recommendations on how to fit a 4 gauge wire through my firewall? I really dont want to have to drill a hole...

If i absolutely must drill a whole, where is the best place, what should i use to drill, and do i need to buy a grommet or something to seal the hole?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: 4 Gauge wire help

If you look on the firewall right in front of where you'd be looking for the fuse box, there should be a rubber grommet. You can either run it through that or beside of it. Either way, it'l go into the cabin so you can run it under your carpet.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard talk of a another grommet that the clutch cable runs through (if you have one) is that the same one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Nope, this one is different. I do have a clutch and I know which one you're talking about, but this one is easily visable if you pop your hood.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

is there anything currently going through the grommet?

i would go check, but i'm at school. hahaha
Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Yeah, lemme go pop my hood and i'll tell you exactly what it is, haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	21632  
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

okay cool, and will the 4 gauge fit through pretty easy? I have a 10 gauge running through this other huge grommet... and it was pretty hard to get the 10 through it...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like yours is running around the grommet. Did you drill or just slip
it around?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Just slipped it around.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I ran wire like 19delta did, however I ran mine through the grommet. If you slice the grommet you can get the wire through no problem. I hit the wire with some wd40 and it went right through like a hot dog down a hallway.

This was the recommended method for installing the power wire for my boost a pump....
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I ran wire like 19delta did, however I ran mine through the grommet. If you slice the grommet you can get the wire through no problem. I hit the wire with some wd40 and it went right through like a hot dog down a hallway.

This was the recommended method for installing the power wire for my boost a pump....
how exactly do i "slice" the grommet. where and how? my fried tried to drill through his grommet... his car didnt start after that. I dont want to hit anything
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I took a utility knife and started slicing from the top down a little at a time until I was able to spread the grommet open.

If you refer to 19delta's picture, take a utility knife and follow the seam line you can see at about 10 o'clock. Just cut slowly only going like 1/8" deep with each slice. As you get closer to the wires, take more care not to push too hard. Then, when you get the slice to where you can open it up, you should be able to push the wire through where the other wires go. Then the grommet will close in around the new wire as well and the interior is still sealed because you never cut it.

If you decide to go around the grommet like delta did, be sure to put some sort of protection on the wire. With the wire being bare like that you are just begging for it to short out over time due to rubbing against the firewall.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Here's the text from the instructions I used for my BAP install....it was an 8 guage wire, but would be the same for any wire really.

Quote:
Option 2: Using a very sharp razor blade, carefully put a cut into the grommet on the topside. Be carefully not to go too deep and cut any of the factory wires. Use a metal coat hanger and tape the red 8-awg wire to it. Make sure you use enough tape so that when you pull the coat hanger from inside the car through the grommets you do not pull the coat hanger out of the tape. You can use WD-40 or a silicone spray lubricant on the grommet and electricians tape to help in this process.
And a pic of how it ends up being run...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Road Trip!

I knew I needed to something to that stupid wire. Thanks for the heads up Venom.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, sorry I'm a visual guy, and i want to make sure i get this right.

So, I have here a crude picture of our friend the grommet. do i start cutting from the top of the whole grommet (top red line) or the top of the raised center (bottom red line) the blue line is the seam, and the small black circle is the raised portion from which the wires protrude.

(sorry for the crap diagram, photoshop wasnt opening)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall diagram.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	21633  
Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Yes, top down. You have more control over the knife when doing this. If you cut up, you'll end up cutting a wire.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

sorry, i wasnt quite clear. do i start at the very very top of the grommet, or at the top of the raised portion where the wires come out?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Where the wires come out, unless you just want to cut the whole grommet.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

okay, now i am clear. Thanks. oh this is going to be so much fun...

but its worth 600 watts so i guess i shouldnt whine
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Road Trip!

No problem. Post some pics when you get it installed.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Don't know how you managed, but is your car an auto or manual. If you have an auto then you can find the clutch plate and drill through that. Some clutch plates are bolted over the hole so you can unbolt it, drill the hole outside of the car, run the wire through and rebolt the plat to the car. You can also look under the steering column towards the fire wall and find an empty area that also has an empty area inside the engine bay.

4 gauge is probably too big but an additional option is to go through the hood release grommet.

If you find a grommet that goes through the firewall usually the best way is to use an awl or screwdriver with a long handle and poke through the grommet. You can also tape the power wire onto the screwdriver so when it goes through you can go inside the cabin and easily pull the wire through and detach it and then pull the screwdriver back out.

You will want to cushion the wire in the firewall as well as plug the hole. It is possible that if the wire is rubbing up against bare metal the wire will ground out which can be extremely bad. Filling up the hole will stop water, noise, heat, emissions, and noise from entering the cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It is definitely a manual. I havent done the wiring yet because my power steering problem has taken priority over buying another amp and sub.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

just wanted to let everyone know, I got all the wiring done. The sub should get here today, and the new amp on thursday. I had a moment of weakness and called car toys... but when they told me it would be a minimum of $45 just to put the wire through the firewall, i managed to find a way to get it through. hahahahaha

sadly the power steering has not been done yet, and now the check engine light is on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video