box design help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
box design help

alright, I have a 12" Kicker L7 (the square one)... with a 1600 watt Kenwood amp. I am building my own box. I have a 2002 Mustang GT coupe. It has the Mach 460 sound system, and as such, has the trunk mounted amps for the 6x8's in the rear window. This means I only have 11" of clearance (EXACTLY 11"... not 1/16" more) between my floor and the amp deck. Kicker recommends 1.75 cubic feet to 3.5 cubic feet for a ported box. And I do think I want a ported box.

Now, being that I don't even have enough trunk height to even set the sub up straight, I was debating setting the sub pointing straight up. Or, I could tilt it at like a 35-45 degree angle. I have around 3' as a width in the trunk, maybe a little more. I want to mount the amp to the face of the box, I think it would help keep things clean, and it would help keep everything where I want it.

The amp has a dual speed fan, so I won't really have to worry much about cooling... as long as I mount the fan of the amp so that it has room.

I was thinking of doing an amp, then, the port, and then the box, if you look from left to right across the box face. But, I'm open to other options.

| | | |
| | | |

now, the amp could either be on the same plane as the box face, if it's sloped, that the sub is on, or it could be flat. Also, should I recess the face of the sub, or just mount it normally?

ok, so what do you guys think?
I want a pretty decent "boom", low rumble is good. I also want it to hit decently tight. Thanks for your help guys!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: box design help

The only problem I can forsee with laying a sub on it's back or down firing it is vibrations. You rear deck with the 460 unit is gonna vibrate like no other, just being honest. It will work however, just be sure to take the true interior dimensions of your box to ensure it is within the specs for your speaker and you should be ok.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I have just the site you need to read up on...

Basic Car Audio Electronics

This site has any info you need, explains everything you dont understand, has calculators to determine port length/width for a certain freq., a box builder program, and tons uponb tons upon tons of info on electronics.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I also agree with lowflyn, I wouldn't mount the sub straight up because of a) vibrations and b) it wont sound as good.

I would aim the sub towards the back and go no lower than a 45deg. angle. Currently I have mine at a steep 70 and it still rattles the **** out of my speaker board. If you point it up or towards the front of the car it will vibrate too much or not enough. If you point it straight back, it should reverb throughout the car and sound tighter. Dynamat will help if it still rattles.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the mach system has little area to build in. On my 01 I put a box I build in the back. With 12 inch subs unless you get really fancy you have to face them up or down as the angle would have to be so severe the magnet would hit the bottom of the box~

You have 11 inches of clearence from the top to the bottom~ and 32 inches I think side to side~ and front to back is what ever is needed to obtain the correct overall cubic feet needed.

Make SURE you add into the equation the height of the top of the speaker as it mounts to the box! else when mounted the speaker may not clear but the box will..

You can mount then facing forward or backwards but you will have to get fancy with box design, if you dont mind then go for it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

should this work?
it's a 1.75 cubic foot box... port tuned to 35 Hz. 12"x12" sub face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub box dimensions 1.JPG
Views:	11664
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	13313  

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you better check the size of your speaker cuz its magnet may be to long to clear such a small box... and if it wont then your box is worthless (problem i had to design around)
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you better check the size of your speaker cuz its magnet may be to long to clear such a small box... and if it wont then your box is worthless (problem i had to design around)
yeah, I worried about that too. The 'good' thing is that the box face is at like a 16-17 degree angle (something close to that I think)... and the box face is 22.5 inches long... so I could always move the sub opening up on the box... which would give me a little more room. It'll be something I have to play with. How much room do I need between the sub and the box... to allow for recoil and such?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

umm yeah, i think your box is way too small, especially for a L7.

find out the cubic feet the sub requires, and build a box to match that.

my Eternal required 1.75-2.25 Cu Ft box. i went as far as to measure the cubic feet the sub takes up, so after accounting for the subs area, the box i made falls just a little over 2 cubic feet.

also, tech support should be able to tell you if you need to port it or not, and if you give them the dimensions, they can tell you(also taking account the area of the sub) the port diameter and depth. though i dont know how good kickers tech support is, but a-bahn techies were badass.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

the Kicker info that came with it said 1.75-3.5 cubic foot box. I don't know what to do about space though, the sub is massive... and I don't really want it facing straight up... maybe just shoot me some more ideas?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you have to wonder if they factored in the cubic feet including the speaker so when they tell you X.XX cubic feet its already accounted for. Also remember the thickness of the material and account for that else you will make the box to small.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, those were 'interior' dimensions... I may try to make the box a hair bigger, we'll see how big it is in the trunk.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video