Problems with Aftermarket Deck - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #1

Exclamation Problems with Aftermarket Deck

I had a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP Aftermarket CD Player installed in my 99 Mustang with Mach 460. It worked fine for approx. 3 months, then one day it ejected a CD and closed the face (cd player has the bottom flip-face as well as the main screen display) and quit working. It won't turn on or anything. I checked all connections and everything was still hooked up fine. I had an older Pioneer deck that I hooked up to the same wiring harness and it would not turn on either. I checked all the fuses I could find and there were none blown. I used a test light and there is no constant power being fed through the wiring harness. I hooked up a temporary line from the battery to the constant power on the deck, and now the older one turns on, but with the same setup, the newer deck will not. I realize that my newer 8400MP deck may be fried, but cannot say that for sure as it may be some connection. I unhooked my battery for 10 minutes to reset everything, checked all car fuses, as well as the cd player fuse, and have double-checked all my connections. The remote turn on works fine, but there is something wrong with the constant. Is there anywhere else to look for blown fuses, or could it somehow be something else? I am fairly good with stereos as I have installed many before, and have done almost as much troubleshooting as I could think of. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
snivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Problems with Aftermarket Deck

Hm...that's a strange problem. It almost sounds like the 8400 recieved a power surge from a short in your factory constant wire and that most likely fried the 8400. If you can run a new wire and have the old one, but not the new one work, that's about all I can think of man, as sad as that is.

Your normal Pioneer decks have a 1 year limited warranty...I'd look into sending the unit in for a check if you can. If you had gotten a premier, they have a 2 year warranty, but you should be good...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #3

Yeah, that's what I thought probably happened too, but was somehow hoping for better news. The only thing strange is that if there was a short, it should have blown the fuse, not sent a surge through the line. I bought the CD player on Ebay, so I'm pretty much screwed with it. I'll see if a stereo shop in town will have a look. Might be just as easy to buy a new unit again, can go with a cheaper one now that I have a satellite radio.

Any ideas on the factory constant power, as it is not sending power to the wiring harness? Any other fuses to check, or any other place to check for a loose connection?
snivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Hm...I really dunno. About the only thing I'd do is rewire your harness and make sure that power wire didn't somehow short out against another wire. That's a possibility. And if nothing else, I'd replace the harness going from the factory harness to your aftermarket one, you never know, it might have malfunctioned somewhere along the line.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video