Need Help Installing New Aftermarket Head Unit and Subs with Amp! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

Need Help Installing New Aftermarket Head Unit and Subs with Amp!

Ive Got a 1999 Mustang Gt with the Mach 420 Sound System and would like to install the Dual Xdvd9101 head unit. I also have Terminator mtx 12' subs with an amp to install. The wiring seems tricky and i was wondering if anybody could give me any tips or guides? Or if i should go get it done at Geek Squad but your never sure how much they can charge you there. Any help would be appreciated especially if somebody has done this before thanks!
99supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
Re: Need Help Installing New Aftermarket Head Unit and Subs with Amp!

get a harness connect same color wires i had the 460 i dont know if they are the same (the blue with a white stripe is your amp r.e.m. connect it to the same color scheme wire even though its for the amp for subs connect it anyway or you wont get any sound) the machs have 2 amps a amp for the front speakers a amp for the rear speakers. the r.em. from your sub amp connect it there (blue white stripe) youll have three wires there. the orange is not used and the att

AMP red is your power wire conect it to the amp then to the battery (disconnect your negitive before you do this) black is your negitive connect it somewhere to metal without paint rem to the blue white stripe

hope this helps im not very good at giving derections
Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I could walk you through the install but the amount of time it'd take to do that would take an entire day. If you do not know what you are doing things can seriously get rough (especially for amp and subs). You can bring it to Geek Squad or a mom and pop shop but my problem with the audio industry is that shops can vary so much in quality.

If you were going to install it yourself you'll need a few other things:
Radio
  • Radio Wiring Harness (Metra Part# 70-5511 or 70-5510 if the radio has RCA outputs for each speaker channel)
  • Radio Installation Kit. You shouldn't need a full kit but a pocket to replace the lower CD Player which will be defunct (Metra Part# 88-00-9000) (I found the kit on eBay for $6 plus $6 shipping; Seller: hobbes_v2 Item#: 380220523155. They have 100% rating but I've never bought from them so I cannot vouch).
  • Crimper, Crimp caps or butt connectors, zip ties and electrical tape.

These can be found at any audio shop or Best Buy, the tools and materials at hardware stores as well. You will also need Ford Radio removal keys which can be found easily from various places or I've read an adapted coat hanger works as well.

You will also have to attach a wire to the parking brake in order for the video to work.

The Amp and Subs are much more involved and you will need more materials
  • Amp Install Kit (you can also pick this up at any audio shop)
  • Crimp connectors, electrical tape, zip ties, crimpers, butt connectors

The Amp install kit should include: X-gauge power wire, ground wire, remote turn on, speaker wire, fuse holder and fuse, as well as usually a few crimp connectors, a remote line, and RCA cables.

You will have to run the power wire from your battery, through the firewall and through the interior to where you will be mounting your amp. So yes parts of the interior will have to be removed, most of which are just clipped in. From where you mount the amp you will have to run the ground wire (which should be short) to a spot on the chassis where it connects to bare metal, this is the ground. The remote line will be run from the radio to the amp as well as the RCA cables. This means that the radio will also need a RCA Sub output. The RCA cables and power wire cannot be run on the same side so you will have to be working on both sides of the car, going through the interior. Speaker wires will then be run from the amp to the subs.

Subs will also need to be placed in a box and the amp and sub should match up between RMS Voltage and Ohms.

And there you have a very brief overview of the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

lol
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

There's a write up on it.
1999-2000 Mustang Aftermarket CD Player Installation
I did the write up, so it should be accurate.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

thanks everybody for the help
99supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Region: Iowa

I can't get this to work. I made the tools out of a wire hanger and the radio will not budge at all. Also, you refer to images on your post, I can't see them. Did they get removed or something?
zeitz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

u have to buy the u shaped tools when u put them in push till u hear a click dont go any farther or u wont be able to get it out pull towards your side mirrors and pull out at the same time
Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I would suggest picking up a real set of Ford keys, from either shops, auto part stores, or online (eBay for example). I never liked the coat hanger method, for the reason you have described (bending).

If the radio has been in there a long time, chances are it's settled and needs to be wiggled out a little. If you move slowly and carefully you can feel where the hangers pushes on the tabs. When you get at this point I'd try to wiggle the radio itself out while the keys have been inserted into the radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video