Appearance Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Appearance Problems

There are a few things on my car that are really starting to bother me:

1.) Hood scoop not staying all the way to the hood. I have a nice gap in the front at the two tips on each side. When it was installed, there was a very slight gap but wind got between the scoop and grille causing this to become a lot bigger of a gap. There is no bolts or gasket material in the very front. Is there anything I can do to get it to stick? Im not worried about the paint underneath.

2.)Driver side gt side scoop. Also installed at the same time as the hood scoop. The passenger side went on fine and it doesnt seem like the scoop is deformed or anything. I didnt replace the plastic clips. Could that be it? Any kind of tape or glue to get it to stay. Again, not worried about paint underneath. I had a wreck that messed up the door skin, but there was only a dent or two on that quarter panel.

3.)Passenger side front fender. There is a gap from a wreck i got in a while ago. There is nothing wrong with the fender from the outside. Do i just unbolt those three screws underneath the hood and try to slide it around?

4.)03 Cobra front bumper. There is a gap on either side where the bracket goes. On one side it is bad because i broke one of the bolts, but is there anything else i can do to tighten things up?

Im really trying to clean up the appearance as much as i can in case i decide to sell or not. Also debating on whether to replace the driver side door skin or not to get everything 100%. Possibly a gt bumper as well since the guy i go to for paint only charges an extra $100 per panel.

Oh and Im also ordering a new hood latch because the spring was damaged from above accident. Im told the cobra bumper needs to be shaved down for the hood to close all the way? im guessing it needs to be shaved where the two black push pins are by the grille/radiator?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Appearance Problems

1) My hood scoop is the same way. It has a gap about 3 inches from the tip back, then it settles flush with the hood itself. I pisses me off but I don't plan on messing with it. I'll probably bring it to my body shop and have them take if off and re-glue it with automotive adhesive.

2) You could check the clips to see if one is broken...be careful if you take it off, sometimes the clips break upon removal You could probably glue them to the car as well. Again, I'd check with your paint guy or body shop for suggestions on adhesive.

3) Yah, unbolt those small screws on the inside of the fender and move it around. I had to do it when I got my GT hood. Just make sure the gap is even between the fender/door and fender/front bumper. This make take a couple of tries to get just right. Also don't forget to screw the bolts back in all the way, lol.

4) I'm trying to picture what part you're talking about. My guess would be to replace that bolt. It's a good idea to have missing bolts and parts like that replaced.

You could replace the driver skin. They are expensive new. You could try and find a clean one off a wrecked car and have it painted.

If you have the dual exhaust tips out back, I'd get the GT bumper. It really improves the look of the exhaust with the 2 cutouts. Plus, you can't beat $100 to paint the bumper. Silver is a pretty popular color, you might be able to find one for cheap already done up.

I've heard that the cobra bumper is different than the v6/GT/99-01 cobra bumpers. I think it may have issues with the regular hoods like the GT hood. I'm not sure about shaving the top posts around the grille area. Maybe someone will chime in about that. Iirc, jimmy_beaner had the 03 cobra bumper with the cobra R hood and he had issues with it lining up. I don't think he had issues with the hood closing all the way though.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I'd also claybar the entire car and wax to really clean up the paint. Then clean the engine bay, inside of the wheels and fender areas real good. Also clean the black plastic and cowl to get it looking like new (hopefully it isn't too faded). Those small things will really make the car look like new and appealing should you decide to sell. Best part is you can enjoy it until then

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

1.) The scoop has (or should have) one bolt in the front, 2 in the back and 2 on the sides. It sometimes has two guide pins that I generally cut off. If the side angle bolts are binded then it wont sit flush. Sounds like thats the problem... or the scoop is to far forward/back on the hood. You should be able to take the scoop off and find the issue and correct it. On one hood I rounded out the side holes a bit and the scoop fit perfectly. If its an 01+ hood there will be two silver dollar or maybe a bit bitter circles at the back middle of the hood and in the center is where the two back hood scoop bolts SHOULD come through.

2.)How is it deformed?

3.)I would let a body shop guy have at it, so many little adjustments there

4.)If you are talking about where the brackets on each end are and the 2 bolts per side you can have those rivited back on and then it should bolt up right to the fender area~

I
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well for the bumper, the bracket is missing one bolt from the passenger side.
Its the bracket that is riveted on. I understand the one side with the broken bolt but i do not know why the other side is not sitting flush? And im gonna look into some adhesive for the scoops. Im gonna wait till my summer break to really work on it though. Ill see if the hood scoop is binding because ive heard that from several other people. However, if i do widen the holes, it wont cause any problems? I realize if they are too wide the nut and washer will go right through.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I put my spoiler back on my car. However, only 2 of the nuts/washers would go on. one on each side. It seems that Ford messed up putting the thing on in the first place as I remember it was a total pita to take the nuts off. So i put silicon around the black gasket on each side and underneath where the stud hangs out. It seems to be holding and i took it for a little ride around Baton Rouge's wonderful roads(bumpy as hell) and it didnt budge a bit. So hopefully it will hold for a good while until I find a better solution. I guess I shouldnt have taken it off in the first place but I was planning on getting the holes filled up. Any other ideas or should this be enough? At least I dont have to worry about it completely falling off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video