I have questions about Projection Headlights for my 2000 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
I have questions about Projection Headlights for my 2000 Mustang?

am confused about projection headlights - i've heard so many diff things and I don't know who is correct or what to think or what to do

1. Will I be able to put projection headlights on my 2000 mustang that has stock (nothing special) headlights? (V6 model)

2. What type of light is made up in projection lamps?

3. If I were to buy projection head lights, would I still be able to put my flame headlight covers over the lamps? (basically, are the projection lamps the same size as the stock lights or bigger?)

4. Would I need to get an hid conversion kit in order to have the projection lamps work correctly on my car (that is, if the bulbs in the projection lamp are actually hid bc my car isn't wired w/ hid bulbs - they're stock). - i don't need hid bulbs but just want to know

5. Are projection head lights really that much brighter/better then stock headlights/bulbs?

6. Are there any other headlights on the market, besides projection lamps that both look cool, are very bright and will be able to be installed and fitted correctly on a base 2000 V6 mustang??

I'd appreciate any help on this as i'm confused about it. Thanks in advance!!
sk8brdkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Re: I have questions about Projection Headlights for my 2000 Mustang?

Check American Muscle they sell projection headlights. They come as the whole headlight assembly so your headlight covers should fit. You could also just upgrade your headlight bulbs to Silver Stars for example for better visibility. My friend has projection headlights in his Cobra and I haven't noticed much of a difference over his old headlights.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

you have to do a little extra wiring on them because of the accent lights. They are the same size and shape. I'd rather go with some stock replacements with a clear turn signal lens and some HID's. projections are a little brighter but are mainly for looks.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
you have to do a little extra wiring on them because of the accent lights. They are the same size and shape. I'd rather go with some stock replacements with a clear turn signal lens and some HID's. projections are a little brighter but are mainly for looks.
And by looks, you mean look like ***? Right? Projection lights do not belong on mustangs. Go with a stock replacement with clear corners. I bought the smoked ones from americanmuscle and they look badass. And im pretty sure the projection lights do not offer much better visibility. You will need hid's for that. And please tell me youre joking about flame covers
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #5

Region: New Jersey

no i'm not joking bout the flame covers - i have both flame headlight n tail light covers, but also have smoke headlight n tail light covers n just bought chrome tail light trim - to switch back n forth with but to me n to most of my friends, the flame covers look cool - take a look at my pics of my car on my profile page - only have 3 pics for now of it

and everyone else thanks for the info on the lights - i appreciate it - since i'd have to get hid conversion, i don't feel its worth it to get the projection lights -way too expensive to do that right now so

1 other question - if i were to just replace the bulbs instead of the entire housing, i've heard there are diff colors to choose from - which color (s) or shades do you believe is the brightest out there that I could get/buy for my car?
sk8brdkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8brdkd View Post
no i'm not joking bout the flame covers - i have both flame headlight n tail light covers, but also have smoke headlight n tail light covers n just bought chrome tail light trim - to switch back n forth with but to me n to most of my friends, the flame covers look cool - take a look at my pics of my car on my profile page - only have 3 pics for now of it

and everyone else thanks for the info on the lights - i appreciate it - since i'd have to get hid conversion, i don't feel its worth it to get the projection lights -way too expensive to do that right now so

1 other question - if i were to just replace the bulbs instead of the entire housing, i've heard there are diff colors to choose from - which color (s) or shades do you believe is the brightest out there that I could get/buy for my car?
Well i have the expensive sylvania silverstars. They dont do a damn thing. The only way you will really notice is with hid's. Then you can really choose the color and such. Its not gonna be noticeable with stock lights.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

just sticking a HID or bi xenon bulb in a headlight housing that is not designed or made for it is well... a bad idea all around as well as illegal. Currently there are no quality headlight housings on the market that will run a HID/or any type there of maybe one day.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Hey, I just installed mine on teh 2007 V6. They are bad ***. The ones I have, have the halo ring around it too. I will post pictures later, I would recommend a shop put them in thought, it was a pain in the ***. And yes, they are bright as hell, they piss people off really easy. LOL
OIF2007Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Tags
2000 mustang