door handle delete? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
door handle delete?

Im talkin about the way ppl mod their older show car doors, like the hotrod type car in Gone In Sixty Seconds did. Where they get rid of the door handle, smooth it all out so it looks like the rest of the door and add a button opener hidden somewhere. I am planning on putting a set of pmp vert door lift kit (or whatever it is called) and then i was thinking of doing the handle delete to be very unique. What do you guys think, any of you guys know anything about this stuff? Just a thought...
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: door handle delete?

most have a remove door opener or a button under the side skirt to pop it open~ sucks when the battery goes dead though.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

just thinking about it, if i do it, it wont be for a long while, id just like to to do something different and it will probably look freakin sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i say give it a go round, and give us a how to some of my friends did that on their scivics and integras. they say it blows when the door open button goes out of batteries, so they have 2 on their key chain, and usually once down under the rear bumper lol.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

To do it right, it requires you to cut out your current door handle area then weld in a piece of sheet metal in it's place making sure to match the contours of the door correctly. Some smoothing etc and paint the door. Like spec tried to say, it would then require a remote door opener with an actuator that would pop your door open when you hit the button.

If you have something that isn't sheet metal, it will require the same steps only with the material that the door skin is made of.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

im not very tech savy, but couldnt i possibly splice it to the car battery w/o it draining it? like does it one require juice from the battery when the button is actually pushed? if i could do it that way, id never need other batteries....:dunno:

or maybe i missunderstood your post cajun...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Well yes, but unless you use a switch that's hidden somewhere, you will still want a switch located on your fob for the door poppers.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
im not very tech savy, but couldnt i possibly splice it to the car battery w/o it draining it? like does it one require juice from the battery when the button is actually pushed? if i could do it that way, id never need other batteries....:dunno:

or maybe i missunderstood your post cajun...
What he was talking about is the key fob like the remote keyless entry deal. After a while, the remote key chain will run out of juice as they all do. Replace battery = fixed.

You could either run the remote key chain, or you could run the button like the GTO had in the move xXx. Just keep in mind, if you run a button on your car somewhere, if someone took the time they could find it and pop your doors.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

unless it was....locked
Old 07-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
unless it was....locked
When you delete the handle, there has to be a way to release the latch without having the handle. When you put an actuator there, it becomes the lock. Once the actuator pops, the door will open. Sure, you can have an alarm on it, but a good thief will have that disarmed in a matter of seconds. I have a friend who deleted his door handles, the car developed battery problems and he ended up locking his keys inside the car and the battery was dead so no electric pop opened the door. His hood was closed as well. Ended up having to diassemble his hood and get it working from there. Just have a manual release somewhere and get used to the fact ppl can get in your car.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

why cant they just use a locking mechanism like on the key remote?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

That works fine as long as you have a good battery in the remote and the battery in your car isn't dead.
Our's:
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well the car battery wouldnt ever b dead bcuz it wouldnt run off the battery all the time, just when u hit the button. and the remote would be the same as my normal remote. if it goes dead with my doors locked, ill still be in some trouble. the only bad thing would be if i hid the button on the skirt, it would end up getting frozen shut bcuz of the nice snow storms we usually get up here.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
well the car battery wouldnt ever b dead bcuz it wouldnt run off the battery all the time, just when u hit the button. and the remote would be the same as my normal remote. if it goes dead with my doors locked, ill still be in some trouble. the only bad thing would be if i hid the button on the skirt, it would end up getting frozen shut bcuz of the nice snow storms we usually get up here.
It wouldn't be dead unless your battery dies as all batteries do. And with the battery dead, the actuator can't work, and with no door handle, you're stuck looking through your windows at the inside of your car wishing you were there.
Our's:
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

my family has never had trouble with their batteries, as long as you replace them when they are supposed to be replaced, you shouldnt have a problem unless ya do something stupid like leaving your interios lights on or something like that.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #16
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
my family has never had trouble with their batteries, as long as you replace them when they are supposed to be replaced, you shouldnt have a problem unless ya do something stupid like leaving your interios lights on or something like that.
Alternators fail and drain batteries. People leave their lights on all the time. Weird **** happens. Basically do it if you want to. However, be warned if the battery does die you are locked out of your car and you are going to have a hell of a time getting back in.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

wouldnt a normal everyday locksmith with car jacking gear be able to open up the door?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
wouldnt a normal everyday locksmith with car jacking gear be able to open up the door?
Not unless he can open an electric actuator with a slim jim.
Our's:
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

I shaved the handles on the 64 and was worried about getting locked so I made and "emergency" manual opener. basically all I did was drill a hole through the front of the door (where the hinges are and where wires run from the body to the door) and a matching hole behind the fender and through the inner fender. After doing that I ran a wire with a loop on the end thats inside the fender (to act as a handle) through the holes I drilled and attached them to the wire on the solenoid that pulls the latch open.

This way, if I leave my keys in the car I just reach behind my front wheel, yank real hard, and my door opens. I may get a little dirty, but better than throwing a brick through my window, lol.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Not unless he can open an electric actuator with a slim jim.
most door popper kits use a solenoid and not an actuator. So I guess if he snagged the cable or bar that comes out of the end of the solenoid he could open it up.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Alot of body work and electrical work involved, if you have 2k to spend go for it.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE View Post
Alot of body work and electrical work involved, if you have 2k to spend go for it.
The electrical work is easy, you can wire them up in an afternoon. Body work is the real fun part though
Old 07-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

thats an awesome idea Fast64, props for that awesome idea.

its just an idea guys, i might do it, i might not, i just wanted to see if anyone had any tech advice and to see what you guys think of the idea, whether itd be cool or worthless. thanks for all the help
Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #24
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
thats an awesome idea Fast64, props for that awesome idea.

its just an idea guys, i might do it, i might not, i just wanted to see if anyone had any tech advice and to see what you guys think of the idea, whether itd be cool or worthless. thanks for all the help

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I think its very cool, I'm glad I did it, I just need to finish the body work so I can see the end results. If you race though, most drag strips won't let you race with out door handles.

If you do end up doing it, its worth the money to find a damaged door or fender to cut the filler plate from so you don't have to worry about bending a flat sheet of metal to make it line up. It will also help you use less body filler
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

hmm, i guess i can see why they would restrict you from dragin because of the safey of not having a door handle to open the door if you get hurt, but that really sucks...i will most likely on take it to the track just to get some real time #'s but this will take some serious thinking.

also, i know you arent finished with your shaved handles fast,but could you post some pics plz?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sure, I shaved the key hole on my trunk and put a popper in there too. Your car probably has one from the factory (yellow button in the glove box).

The solenoid in the trunk, essentially the same as whats in the door.

What the trunk looks like all filled up.

Solenoid inside the door.

Just gotta grind the welds down, weld over any pin holes, grind those down, and smooth it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0124.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	13995   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0163.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	13996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0156.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	13997   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0389.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	13998  

Old 07-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

that is going to look sweet! do you have a remote opener or are you using a hiden pushbutton? if your using the button, where are you going to put it? plz keep me posted with pics when you get to painting it and all that good stuff...if you dont mind
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a remote. Just make sure you have a hand on the door when you hit the button though, I but a nice sized dent in the side of my friends car once when I opened the door when I hadn't quite walked up to the car yet. luckily it was a POS and he didn't care too much, lol.

I will definitely keep everyone updated when I get to paint, but thats a long way off.....
Old 07-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

lol, thats funny, sucks, but still funny. im planning on putting a vert door lift kit on it and then the handle delete, so the manual wiring that you did might be a little different, dunno till i get it estemated at the shop and that wont be for a lil while
Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
The electrical work is easy, you can wire them up in an afternoon. Body work is the real fun part though
Most people dont hnave the ability to wire up an alarm type system with remotes to control the solenoids. Thus he would have to pay. I realy aimed that comment more at the body work, he would probobly have to blemnd the 1/4 to get everything to match right. Not to mention the ***** it is to make it so that it looks like a handle was never there. Definatley worth it though, It makes cars look clean.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video