Favorite Wax(es) Thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Favorite Wax(es) Thread

Let's start a thread discussing favorite waxes and why.

So, I typically use Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax, but while walking through Arnold Motor Supply yesterday, I saw this Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax 26... and figured what the hell... It's supposed to be a mirror glaze wax.
I'll attempt to update the thread if/when I try new waxes so a possible comparison might be seen.
I'm satisfied:
Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26... one coat

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73
Re: Favorite Wax(es) Thread

I have tried NXT and Ice. I am now using some stuff from Show Car Detail, just a detailer that makes his own stuff.

I had a neighbors cat apparently slide across my hood and leave some marks. Wasn't bad but I could see them. I clay bared the car (my first attempt at this) and either I did not put enough pressure or just did not do it right they did not come out. I bought the polishing wax from Show Car and just waxed the car as I normally do. I was surprised to see the marks were gone. That is all it did to convince me. I then apply the the Wet Wax and Wet Glaze to make it really shine.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post
I have tried NXT and Ice. I am now using some stuff from Show Car Detail, just a detailer that makes his own stuff.

I had a neighbors cat apparently slide across my hood and leave some marks. Wasn't bad but I could see them. I clay bared the car (my first attempt at this) and either I did not put enough pressure or just did not do it right they did not come out. I bought the polishing wax from Show Car and just waxed the car as I normally do. I was surprised to see the marks were gone. That is all it did to convince me. I then apply the the Wet Wax and Wet Glaze to make it really shine.
Claybars remove contaminants, not scratches.
The wax you used that seemed to "make them gone" filled the scratches. You could use a compound/polish/glaze that might remove them for good. I am looking forward to waxes I haven't tried, I may have to add that to the list

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Zaino for me. With regular applications, car looks ridiculous. Even going 18-24 months between applications, water still beads like it was freshly waxed.

However, once applied, the only way to remove it is with abbrasives. Dawn will NOT remove zaino from your car. Washing with dawn and the water just beads up like it's freshly waxed. lol
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Zaino for me. With regular applications, car looks ridiculous. Even going 18-24 months between applications, water still beads like it was freshly waxed.

However, once applied, the only way to remove it is with abbrasives. Dawn will NOT remove zaino from your car. Washing with dawn and the water just beads up like it's freshly waxed. lol
I had no idea Zaino was that good... perhaps I'll have to look into it. I love mirror like finishes and beading water. Hell, I picked up another wax today... Meguiars Gold Clas Carnauba Plus. Of course it started raining as well.

Link to Zaino:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...Code=YOUCHOOSE

Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I just waxed mine before the Tubpelo cruise in May for the first time in about 2 years. Water still beaded up like new wax. ONly managed to get one coat of wax on the car tho because it was forecast to rain all weekend...and it did. I'm saving the full detail and 2-3 coats until I get an orbital....or get the paint fixed. Whichever happens first.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I just waxed mine before the Tubpelo cruise in May for the first time in about 2 years. Water still beaded up like new wax. ONly managed to get one coat of wax on the car tho because it was forecast to rain all weekend...and it did. I'm saving the full detail and 2-3 coats until I get an orbital....or get the paint fixed. Whichever happens first.
I have the portercable random orbital. I picked it up to compound/polish/glaze the GT. I've only managed the hood, fenders, roof and trunk lid so far. Getting that intimate with my paint has saddened me due to the realization of number of imperfections. I'm rather tempted to look into the Zaino... then use all this wax I have (5 cans that are mostly full or new) on the truck, since it needs some lovin' too

Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
I have the portercable random orbital. I picked it up to compound/polish/glaze the GT. I've only managed the hood, fenders, roof and trunk lid so far. Getting that intimate with my paint has saddened me due to the realization of number of imperfections. I'm rather tempted to look into the Zaino... then use all this wax I have (5 cans that are mostly full or new) on the truck, since it needs some lovin' too
My intimate encounters with my paint while claying the car are what make me not order the orbital. While it could fix some, there are many that require a repaint to fix...

You can only buy the stuff online FYI. www.zainobros.com I believe is their website.

For there record, here are the products I use from them:

Z2 and Z5 polish
Leather cleaner
Leather Conditioner
Glass Polish
Quick Detailer

I want to say I use something else too...can't think of it though.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
My intimate encounters with my paint while claying the car are what make me not order the orbital. While it could fix some, there are many that require a repaint to fix...

You can only buy the stuff online FYI. www.zainobros.com I believe is their website.

For there record, here are the products I use from them:

Z2 and Z5 polish
Leather cleaner
Leather Conditioner
Glass Polish
Quick Detailer

I want to say I use something else too...can't think of it though.
yeah, good info. here's a guy that tested Zaino against Meguiars:
Zaino v Meguiar's
Of course, he had amazing paint to begin with, so I'm not surprised there wasn't much of a difference.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
yeah, good info. here's a guy that tested Zaino against Meguiars:
Zaino v Meguiar's
Of course, he had amazing paint to begin with, so I'm not surprised there wasn't much of a difference.
And then he washed his car with dawn and lost everything he put on with maguires...or....he waited 6 months and his car no longer shined like it used to.

Maybe it's just me, but, with zaino on the right in this picture...it looks like the right side is much smoother or at least the light is more exact...better reflection to me. The left size looks fuzzy...right side looks clear.

While I can agree that after an initial application, odds are they do look alike. However, if you have to wax your car every month to maintain that look, then are they really equal?

As for his testing and the wait times, he is full of shicaca there. You can do 3 coats of zaino in as fast as you can apply and remove it. With the ZFX addative (about 3 drops per 1 oz of product) by the time you finish applying the wax, it is cured and ready for another coat.

Also, I agree the Z5 doesn't take out the scratches like he was expecting them to. It will fill in simple, light scratches, but it is just that, a filler. The Zaino All In One (which is the product I forgot in my previous post) is what you need to use to take out the scratches...it has the abbrasives in it and doesn't just fill the scratch. I have a bottle at home...just haven't used it yet.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Ace It make some very nice Show Shine you can use, but I would only do it a couple times a year as it puts a layer of "plastic" on the paint. Makes it look extremly shinny but... as said the paint has to be perfect before you apply it. I had my car buffed (clay bar level no cutting) and then had this applied and it ended up looking amazing.

Here is a pic from inside where the show was, not the best pic etc but turned out decent
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, I agree. I currently don't mind waxing the car every month, as it's good for me to get out there and do something with the car... and waxing it is relatively cheap (and I've got a lot of urges to just do SOMETHING to the car). I want to attempt to do a comparison of these waxes.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
yeah, I agree. I currently don't mind waxing the car every month, as it's good for me to get out there and do something with the car... and waxing it is relatively cheap (and I've got a lot of urges to just do SOMETHING to the car). I want to attempt to do a comparison of these waxes.
Go for it. Just do the zaino last or else it will skew your results because like I said, it won't come off. You can wax over it, but it will change the results of the wax you are putting on...in a good way.

If I were to keep up with my car like I should...meaning, wash it weekly or at least not store it in a car port...and then quick detail it whenever it needs it...I would not need to wax the car more than twice a year...and could probably get away with once a year with the number of times it is out in the elements. Compared to once a month...I'll take once a year.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:

+1 Zaino is the best, and it's the only thing I use.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Taken from a Honda forum....
Quote:
Here's just a thought... Please bear with me... Why couldn't you just ground your vehicle after waxing like you would ground any appliance. If you connect a wire from your vehicle's chassis/ground to any household electrical ground, would this not do the trick? The static build up will not release through the rubber into the natural ground and the 12V DC would not have any problem with the AC(natural) ground. Hypothetically this should work. I am in no way responsible for any problems that may occur from this. DO NOT TRY THIS!!! I am merely stating this for electrical theory purposes. I do not suggest any one try this but am interested because this should work. Please let me know what you think...be gentle please.
"ground it so the wax doesn't build up a charge"... or maybe the wax is sticky and the dust sticks to it... or perhaps it's because there's always dust settling on the car and you just happen to notice it more right after it's clean

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

lmao!!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I too have heard good stuff about the Zaino. I use Meguiar's Gold Class. Have for a number of years. My results are pretty positive. Haven't done much comparing, though.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

I have used Zaino glass polish on the exterior-- which is okay. I'm probably expecting too much from it. It can be used inside as well. The plastic polish is amazing words cant describe how good the stuff works. I used it on my cell phone screen. ( I assume no responsibility) I wouldn't mind trying their wax. For the exterior wax, I use Hi-temp, Bahama Momma wax. Carnauba Cream Wax I have been using it for a few years and have used it on neighbors/ friends cars they seem to like the look. It lasts about 4-6 months. For the yearly app I use a clay bar on the paint (wash with dawn 1st) then a medium cut leveler, with orange cutting pad, then a white cutting pad with smooth cut polish followed by 2 coats of wax. Later in the year I clean her up real good and apply one coat of wax that's it. Here and there I use Meguiar's quick spray wax. I also want to try SufCity Garage wax. I use their no gloss tire dressing that shines. As the label says.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Dude, the glass polish was the only thing I found to take the water spots off my windshield I had since day one. It was great. But that's all I wanted it for and didn't expect it to work. But it did. It was a good shock.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Dude, the glass polish was the only thing I found to take the water spots off my windshield I had since day one. It was great. But that's all I wanted it for and didn't expect it to work. But it did. It was a good shock.
I think I had too high of an expectation for it. It's better than the eagle 1 stuff I had. I need to redo it. Their plastic polish is amazing, the plastic still shines after 3 months and several trips through the car wash during pollen season.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I've used Meguiars Gold Class since I bought the car...always preferred the paste/wax pads over the liquid stuff...but some of the newer products are damn good.

I might have to pick up some Zaino products...only hear good things about them.

NevrDull (not clearcoat wax) is amazing for chrome and exhaust...basically a wax for those finishes. I'm definitely a fan.

Speaking of all this wax...I need to get a tin of Gold Class...wax day Sunday ftw

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Taken from a Honda forum....
Quote:
Here's just a thought... Please bear with me... Why couldn't you just ground your vehicle after waxing like you would ground any appliance. If you connect a wire from your vehicle's chassis/ground to any household electrical ground, would this not do the trick? The static build up will not release through the rubber into the natural ground and the 12V DC would not have any problem with the AC(natural) ground. Hypothetically this should work. I am in no way responsible for any problems that may occur from this. DO NOT TRY THIS!!! I am merely stating this for electrical theory purposes. I do not suggest any one try this but am interested because this should work. Please let me know what you think...be gentle please.
"ground it so the wax doesn't build up a charge"... or maybe the wax is sticky and the dust sticks to it... or perhaps it's because there's always dust settling on the car and you just happen to notice it more right after it's clean
Don't worry I won't try it because that is an absolutely retarded idea. Pick up a basic physics text book. BTW that's to the Honda forum, not you Jimmy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Don't worry I won't try it because that is an absolutely retarded idea. Pick up a basic physics text book. BTW that's to the Honda forum, not you Jimmy.
lol, I was a physics major

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post

I find this to be correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

tried the nxt wax, gold class, and ice wax. and i prefer the nxt 2.0. its makes my paint pop better than Orville Redenbacher.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

i am ordering some right now....Zaino kit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video