Car Wax - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Car Wax

I wanted to wax my car and accidentally waxed two areas w/ chrome polish :smoke: so now that area is really dull looking. I tried Turtle Wax heavy duty wax "rids scratches and swirls" to remove the damage I had done and apparently it says in fine print to try it first in a hidden area cuz it contains particles thay may scratch the paint and that's exactly what it did. It was like sand paper on my paint. I'm really bummed out about it and I wanna know if there's a product or technique other than repainting to minimize or repare this damaged area along w/ the rest of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Car Wax

ouch bummer man.

try a really good polish( i think eagle1 makes a really good polish, called "Ice" something) and a synthetic wax (Meguiars NXT) followed by a carnuba (Zymol)

other than that, you basically killed your clearcoat.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

zymol rocks.. I love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Zymol on its own or is zymol some sort of second step wax? Thomas: you say a polish a synthetic wax followed by carnuba or just one of the three?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

no, zymol is an independent product.

generally synthetic waxes have a great shine, but lack depth and longevity a carnuba gives. alot of people layer a carnuba on top of a synthetic to get the best of both worlds.

Paint Care & Detailing is a pretty good site. me and my buddy might go in half on a Random Orbital like the Porter-Cable, cause were now obsessed with detailing.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Get some Zaino and be done with, just don't forget to bring your wallet... because I guarantee you that you won't find enough change in your pockets.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would start by washing the car with dawn detergent (best at cleaning off old wax with out hurting the car) wash over the car a couple times.

After this I would then use 3m perfect it II (CLEAR COAT SAFE) rubbing compound. Do two light coats over the entire car (use elbow greese!) and on the area you have a question about do one very light coat and inspect after drying the area for color on your towel dont break though the clear. You shouldnt have any problem though as its not super abrasive, try to get 3 coats on the area in question.

After this clay bar the car and finish by washing yet again with dawn. Now you can wax~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I would start by washing the car with dawn detergent (best at cleaning off old wax with out hurting the car) wash over the car a couple times.

After this I would then use 3m perfect it II (CLEAR COAT SAFE) rubbing compound. Do two light coats over the entire car (use elbow greese!) and on the area you have a question about do one very light coat and inspect after drying the area for color on your towel dont break though the clear. You shouldnt have any problem though as its not super abrasive, try to get 3 coats on the area in question.

After this clay bar the car and finish by washing yet again with dawn. Now you can wax~
yeah what he said, also if you dont want to mess it up more then take it to a pro and have then buff it out. take some 3M Rubbing compound and buff out that area.. but first wash it with dawn, then buff out that area, then wax ur car. dont think that a "wax" or polish will fix it. wax is a product that will make ur car shine ontop of ur paint and clear coat.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well considering you can't restore clear coat that has been removed, if in fact it has been, not a wax in the world is going to help. My best advice, after working at a body shop, is to block it and repaint it. If it is a bolt on part, i.e. a fender or hood, remove it and repaint that part. Hopefully there is no fading on the rest of the car. Otherwise you will see a difference in the paint. Most body shops can match very well. Just make sure they are reputable. Just a thought.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
Well considering you can't restore clear coat that has been removed, if in fact it has been, not a wax in the world is going to help. My best advice, after working at a body shop, is to block it and repaint it. If it is a bolt on part, i.e. a fender or hood, remove it and repaint that part. Hopefully there is no fading on the rest of the car. Otherwise you will see a difference in the paint. Most body shops can match very well. Just make sure they are reputable. Just a thought.
I would NOT repaint! It all depends on how bad the clear coat is gone... I have taken more CC off with a wet sand and some heavy grit polish and a dewalt buffer @ 2900 RPM... If it was some other type of cleaner then it "should" not be to deep on the CC..
Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you really dont know if the clear has been removed it might just be scuffed up really good... from what he used it would probably take a good bit of rubbing to eat though the clear.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Meguiars paint cleaner, and then Meguiars polish and then wax may be all you need if not back up to to there fine cut and a electric polisher using there spounge aplicator.
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There are many different opinions. I'll post pics of the damage soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video