Running power around the factory amp to the speakers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Running power around the factory amp to the speakers

Hi all.

My question is simple. I have a Sony head unit with stock wiring/speakers throughout the car minus the sub in the trunk. I need to know the power output of the factory amp and if it would be possible to bypass it and run the speakers directly off the head unit.

The other day I'm talking to a friend and he suggests that one day when were bored we should rip out all the wiring from the speakers to the amp and replace it with fresh stuff since it is always cutting out and in.
He also suggests that we bypass the factory amp and use the head unit to power the speakers directly. Meaning attach the speakers to the appropriate wires and just run off the 52wx4 head.

Is this possible, and will it sound ok. He knows his ****, graduated for car audio 2 years ago so I trust him doing the job, I just need to know for my own sake. He claims most cars only have like 5 watts going to each speaker stock.

Again, for the lazy people, what is the stock output of the amp in the car and how will it compare to a 52wx4 head.
Kiljosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video