New Detailing Thread. (Wax, Polish, Wash, etc...) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to greenflash00
New Detailing Thread. (Wax, Polish, Wash, etc...)

Ok guys, since the last one got messed up, this is the new thread for all of your detailing ?s that you might have. Likewise, im making this a sticky so if you have anything you wanna contribute that you think will be helpful, post away.

CAR WASH

There are many great car washes out there. My personal favorite is Meguiars. This is the stuff in the pink bottle. For along time I used Kit car wash and I liked it as well. You can either get car wash with wax mixed in it, or just the wash by iteself. I have found that the wash with the wax mixed in with it will somtimes streak really bad if you wash your car in the sunlight. Another decent car wash is Eagle One Wet. Although i personally prefer Meguiars this is good stuff too.

CAR WAX/POLISH

Like car wash, there are dozens of kinds of wax. Some of the most popular lines are the Meguiars waxes. I have heard nothing but good things about their basic cleaner waxes, and their top of the line Gold Class waxes. Another great wax is Zymbol. This is what i personally use. Meguiars also makes a Quik Wax in a spray on form that works pretty well if you just want a quick shine.

CLAYBAR

A Clay bar. Yep thatís right, a bar of clay. lol. They sell them at any local auto parts store or even walmart. Mothers, and Meguiars makes them and either will be just fine. A lot of people think "oh great another product that doesnít work" but NO NO NO NO NO ... these things work like a charm!!! I personally use them every time I wax my car or someone elseís car, and Iíll be honest; the car looks waxed after just the clay bar job. It gets ALL the crap off of the paint and leaves it slicker than polished glass. If youíve got something on your paint thatís bugging you that doesnít come off with wash or wax. Give the clay bar a try, it just might be the detailing tool youíre looking for.

TIRE SHINE

The absolute best tire shine I have found is Meguiars High Gloss. This stuff lasts great, and doesnt sling to bad either if you put on a nice even coat. On a side note, it smells like grape kool-aide too. I honestly havent found any other tire gel that works as well as this stuff. Everything else i have tried slung right off.

RUBBER/VINYL PROTECTANT

If your rubber weather stripping, grill inserts, or scoops are fading out and you want them to be black again, get some Mothers Back To Black. This stuff will color them back to black and make them look brand new. Unfortunately its not a dye so it only lasts for a few weeks, but its a great temporarty fix. For making rubber or vinyl shine whether it be inside or out, Armorall High Gloss works great. I have tryed others and they always seem to be greasy and sort of slimy to the touch. Armorall is the way to go in my opinion.

GLASS CLEANERS

First and foremost, if you have tinted windows, do not use ammonia based glass cleaners on the inside where the tint is. I was told by the tint shop that this will damage the tint. Water is actually one of the best things to clean glass with, but Eagle One 20/20 is AWESOME! And believe it or not, some newspaper works great on getting a streakfree shine on your glass. Spray on the cleaner, and wipe it down with newspaper.

CHROME/POLISHED METAL

For chrome, polished, or any shiny metal surface...Zoops Seal is what you want. Its guaranteed to protect your metal for 2 years with one application. Its expensive but a great investment. Some other good stuff is called Duragloss. Its hard to find but its great for shining metal.

ENGINE CLEANER/DETAILER

For the engine i use some stuff that is a citrus degreaser. Works great to get the dirt off, then i simply wipe it off with a damp rag. For the detailing part i use something called CD2 Engine Detailer. This stuff is AMAZING! You just spray it on and it will shine like you wont even believe. Got this at autozone.

Here is a sample of what I personally do to my own car. If others have different methods, please share them.

Process: Normally I wash it first, then dry it with a towel. If Iím going to wax, I clean the car really really well. Then clean the tires and rims. Then I use a clay bar on the whole car...then buff it out. Then I start to wax on and wax off. Then I detail.

DO NOT wax every time you wash, itís not necessary. Wax about 2 or 3 times a year. Wash your car as often as you like. I wash it, dry it, and detail it in that order.

Washing tips: Make sure you get it all clean, I like to use a wash mit and rub it in a circular motion like you would waxing

Drying tips: Buff it out with a towel, not chamois, while still wet. This will smooth out wax and make the paint smooth as glass. Make sure you donít buff over dirt though, it needs to be WET and CLEAN when you do this step.

Tire tips: Clean or polish the rims, and put a nice coat of tire gel/cleaner on to protect and shine that rubber. Nobody likes stale tires. The tire swipes from eagle one work great for applying the gel.

Engine tips: Be careful with this one. You dont wanna spray any liquid (water, cleaner etc) directly on the electronics, so sorta spray around them and clean them with a rag instead. Spray the degraser on the rag, then apply to the engine and wipe it off till clean. For the detailing spray, (assuming your using CD2 Detailer) spray it on, then you can let it sit and it will cure itself to a beautiful shine. Again, dont spray this stuff directly onto the electronics, get a rag, and apply it that way.

Hope this helps guys, Post away with comments or questions!
Gt takeoff exhaust with Flowtech Warlock mufflers, Mac CAI, ASP UDP, Flex Phenolic Spacers, 17 by 9 Cobra R's, 275/40s all around, FMS C-Springs, Tokico shocks and struts, FMS T-loc, FMS 4.10 gears, fordchip, 3000 stall PI tq converter, B&M Supercooler, and some various appearance stuff.
greenflash00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to DropTop_Stang
Do you put the wax all over your car first, and then buff off, or do it section at a time? apply, buff, apply over there, buff.
DropTop_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I do it in sections b/c i have found that if i leave it on to long its hard to get off. I will to large sections at a time though. Like ill do the whole hood, then buff it off, ill do the whole roof, then buff that off, the whole door, bumper, etc.....
Gt takeoff exhaust with Flowtech Warlock mufflers, Mac CAI, ASP UDP, Flex Phenolic Spacers, 17 by 9 Cobra R's, 275/40s all around, FMS C-Springs, Tokico shocks and struts, FMS T-loc, FMS 4.10 gears, fordchip, 3000 stall PI tq converter, B&M Supercooler, and some various appearance stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, I found out the hard way today that putting it all on first sucks, buffing off the last few pieces sucks.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

and i hate waxing my car because it shows all the imperfections in my paint. I really wish my mom took better car of the car.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i know, been there done that too.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
http://www.teammeguiars.com/getschooled.asp this will help out alot, keep in mind this is Meguiars, so its big on there stuff but still good info
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

and this http://www.teammeguiars.com/getschooled_clinics.asp
Old 11-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Dude!! thats some great info there. Thanks for posting that.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Wow that was some very good info
Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Nice find. Quick question. Clay bars remove wax correct? and is the bar for the whole car or just trouble spots? I think I might be spending a day inside and outside cleaning if the sun ever decides to warm us up here.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

To my knowledge the claybar doesnt remove the wax, however if you have waxed over dirt it makes sense to me that the claybar would pull the dirt, so i guess it does and it doesnt...not totally sure to be honest.. But to answer your 2nd ?...yes you can use it anywhere. Ive even used it on my glass. Its a remarkable tool.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #13
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
i gotta clay mine up some day. Ive never used one of those things and i have LOTS of retarded little rust looking particles on my car. Maybe thats my answer

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:28 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah what geen said, i use it all over
Old 11-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i hope its not really rust. Only think i will say is make sure the paint isnt chipping and run that claybar over it b/c it will prolly pull the chip off. Those things are sticky beyond your imagination lol. Ive gotten my fingers stuck into that bar so bad b/f it hurt to pull them out. I cracked all of my knuckes pulling my fingers out of it one time.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #16
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
its not rust, cuz if i buff it really hard they come off... i just havnt wanted to put that much effort into the waxing part lol goin at that rate my arm gets tired in like 30 seconds and i quit

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

hahaha
Old 11-04-2003, 11:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

haha. i understand. its tiring no doubt. If you can scrub really hard and get it off, im guessing the clay bar will get it off w/o problems.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: New Detailing Thread. (Wax, Polish, Wash, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash00

Here is a sample of what I personally do to my own car. If others have different methods, please share them.

Process: Normally I wash it first, then dry it with a towel. If Iím going to wax, I clean the car really really well. Then clean the tires and rims. Then I use a clay bar on the whole car...then buff it out. Then I start to wax on and wax off. Then I detail.

DO NOT wax every time you wash, itís not necessary. Wax about 2 or 3 times a year. Wash your car as often as you like. I wash it, dry it, and detail it in that order.

Washing tips: Make sure you get it all clean, I like to use a wash mit and rub it in a circular motion like you would waxing

Drying tips: Buff it out with a towel, not chamois, while still wet. This will smooth out wax and make the paint smooth as glass. Make sure you donít buff over dirt though, it needs to be WET and CLEAN when you do this step.

Now on this, I use a Chamoi when i dry, it has been shown that when you use a towel it will scratch and some cleaners you use on the towels can take the wax off your car.

Tire tips: Clean or polish the rims, and put a nice coat of tire gel/cleaner on to protect and shine that rubber. Nobody likes stale tires. The tire swipes from eagle one work great for applying the gel.

Engine tips: Be careful with this one. You dont wanna spray any liquid (water, cleaner etc) directly on the electronics, so sorta spray around them and clean them with a rag instead. Spray the degraser on the rag, then apply to the engine and wipe it off till clean. For the detailing spray, (assuming your using CD2 Detailer) spray it on, then you can let it sit and it will cure itself to a beautiful shine. Again, dont spray this stuff directly onto the electronics, get a rag, and apply it that way.

Hope this helps guys, Post away with comments or questions!
As most people, i have my ways.. the ways that are posted are ok, but i have been doing this my whole life, while my dad has done it for the last 20years. here are also some pics that i took today. I used a new claybar called "clay magic" Clay lube. also waxed it up with Meguiars professonal show car glaze #7. I like it. Green, your car looks great. keep up the good info! The pics will be in the next post.. I have to make them small.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Pics>>> 8)
Old 11-09-2003, 10:33 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

clean
Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Dudes, if you haven't yet, go get the Meguiar's Clay bar system. OMG, it's amazing. I tried it on my drivers side door, and damn! It looks new, no blemishes at all.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:07 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

umm thats what i use. but i tried this new stuff, it was $9.99 so.. but it workes also.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

8) Cool...nice pics man.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

i have vid also, but can get it on the computer.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:10 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well here I am once more, I did the last step of my wax process be4 the winter. Also I would like to put in some new hints, products and "how-to's" as always I need to state first, This was done on a 1998 Ford Mustang V6, Lazer jet Red with almost 87,000 miles on it. I am in Fishers Indiana, the Temp was 55* and falling. The sun was out, but I was in shade like you should be when you wash and or wax your car.

I started off using meguiars "soft Wash Gel" (the same as ref in Greenflash statement the pink stuff) starting at the top working my way to the bottom. Get your car nice and wet, wash top-hood-trunk, sides and back. Then spray the soap off (all at once if you like, I do it right after I do the top-Hood-trunk) then after you have all the soap off, take a clean wet chamois (ring it out) and dry the same as you washed. I use a chamois because I like the way it take the water off the car and will not scratch the car. (you can use a towel but you might scratch your paint) After I washed my car, I cleaned my rims with Meguiars hot rims cleaner. During the wax process I use a SMALL amount of product on a applicator pad, then spred a THIN coat evenly over the paint. I used my last step of wax, this starts off with a while ago I used Meguiars "Cleaner wax", this wax will take most of the junk off (tar, road salt, tree sap) and to take some of the fine swirls off. Then same day, I used the Meguiars "Deep crystal system Paint cleaner" (its almost the same as the Cleaner wax, but this will also restore damaged and dull Finishes). A week later I used Meguiars "Gold Class clear coat prep and swirl reducer" (I didnt have many swirls, thats just one thing that Meguiars has in most to all there wax) The Gold class system will Enrich the color and the gloss. Same day I used the Meguiars "Gold class clear coat Liquid car wax" Last weekend I used Meguiars #7 (The professional show car glaze) to give my paint a nice and deep gloss shine. Today I used the last step, Meguiars #26 (the professional Hi-Tech Yellow wax) This is a High Gloss paint protection. Now Keep in mind, this is my WHOLE process. You might not need to do each step in this, also you can use many other products out there. To take off the wax I use 100% Cotton Terry cloths 4 of them. 2 to take off the wax during the process. and 2 more to clean up any water spots or anything you find when your done. (one to take the wax off, make sure to flip the cloth many times, also one clean one to "buff" the wax as you take it off, you can also use a buffer I use a MVP Pro-Tech Buffer/Polisher 10".)

Now on the inside of your car (mustang) I first take out all the floor mats and use my Shop Vac to suck out the big stuff on the seats and floor, then I use my air "blower" on my Air tank to blow the loose dirt and the very small stuff off the seats and the floor, and spray the vents and the dash. (Not all people have a air tank, you can skip that process ) then I use my shop vac once more to clean up (Dont forget your mats) Then after that I use "Tuff Stuff" (multi-purpose foam cleaner) to clean the Fabric, Carpet and Vinyl. (when I clean the Carpet with Tuff Stuff, i use the shop vac one more time) To use Tuff Stuff on your dash (Vinyl) take 2 100% cotton terry cloths, one wet, one dry and spray on the Vinyl (DONT get it on Glass, or the Plexiglass) take the wet towel to "clean" and the dry one to dry the dash (vinyl) Yes I am all about Meguiars, but I have found that Armor All protechtant "Ultimate Cleaner" on the Vinyl will give you a clean look. (this stuff is kinda hard to find, but I love it its the ONLY Armor All product I use ) (I have also found that this product works very well on your tires!) After all i done, you still have the glass and chrome left. For the Glass, I use "Stoner Invisible Glass" its safe for tinted windows also. For Chrome, I use Meguiars Chrome cleaner. its not hard to clean chrome. I have many pics, I am going to rename them for the process and then I will post. Thanks for your time and Greenflash, If you could please read this over and see if anything is not "right" in your eyes, I would like to work together on this and help everyone out. The hardest thing for me to see is a dirty mustang
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

here are 3 pics, 1 is the wax be4 I started today, 2 is the top of teh car and 3 is the hood with wax on it. ok NM i cant att a pic. this will be fun CLICK ON MY CAR DOMAIN LINK IN MY SIG, then go to page 3. there are some of them.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:16 AM   #28
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Oh, if you want you mirrors and cowl to go bling bling....try Mothers Back to Black.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah that works ok,
Old 12-22-2003, 11:37 AM   #30
Regular

Quote:
RUBBER/VINYL PROTECTANT

If your rubber weather stripping, grill inserts, or scoops are fading out and you want them to be black again, get some Mothers Back To Black. This stuff will color them back to black and make them look brand new. Unfortunately its not a dye so it only lasts for a few weeks, but its a great temporarty fix.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:38 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 01-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #32
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
I'm to lazy to read all that. Hurts my eyes.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to 98stang
My cleaning

I use Meguire's car wash, Mother's Chrome polish for my wheels, and exhaust tips, Castrol Mag Wheel cleaner, Black Magic Tire Wet, and Meguire's Gold Class for waxing!
Old 01-17-2004, 12:56 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

looks good man, i love the color.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
im suprised no one mentioned Zaino, it has to be one of the most expensive paint systems, but it works beatifully

also remember, thats an 8 year old macco paint job, that wasnt waxed untill i got the car
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video