pffft....fed up! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to ChickStang02
Unhappy pffft....fed up!

okies,
Here's the problem, probably not near as intricate as many questions on here, but here goes. I have a 6disc cd changer in my 02' stang, and for some gawd aweful reason, the no. 1 slot sticks ALL THE TIME! CD's going in or out, get stuck in there, and i have to fiddle to get them out, is something broke, jammed or what, it'd driving me insane! I don't really want to pay a bundle just to have it messed w/and still not fixed. Help, what should I do?
ChickStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: pffft....fed up!

yeah that seemed to be a problem with that system, my sister has an 04 that shes had the system replaced 3 times, and a friend of mine had to fight with his to get his cd out

its really a matter of replacing the system

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

The cd player in my old Roush would do that. It was very annoying.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

The Ford 6-disc changers suck. Mine in the '06 is always doing crazy stuff too. It skips with brand new CDs sometimes. Other times it spits out a brand new CD and says it's a "Bad CD". Then I can load it again and it works fine.

Not one of Ford's better designs.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to ChickStang02

*sigh*..........ok, sadly this all means if I want to get rid of the annoyance, get a new system right? Thanks for the help guys, I thought maybe it was just mine.
ChickStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

yeah the disc changers were def Fords non bright idea cause they just outright suck
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I haven't had a problem with the one in my Cobra yet.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #8

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Cheria Send a message via Yahoo to Cheria

Yeah, mine did that in my 02 so when I bought my 04 the first thing I did was replaced it with a touch screen. And added an aditional changer in the trunk attached to my speaker box. It is 10 times better then that stupid changer. I did not use the stock on but maybe a month so it is brand new. I still have it if you need it let me know maybe it is not as bad as yours.
Cheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It's a problem that eventually occurs in all of them. Trucks, cars, vans, everything. Just a bad design. So..you can either replace it with another stock unit knowing it's going to happen again or buy aftermarket and fix it that way.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #10

Region: Virginia

We we're constantly changing out stock ford/lincoln cd changers at the install shop I worked at. Usually when the number one slot starts to go then number 2,3,4, and so on go until they are all sketchy, the best thing is to just put up the money for a GOOD aftermarket changer. Or...... forget cd's entirely and go for an aux input for your iPod. hell of a lot cheaper too.
I once got pulled over and the cop said, "Why were you going so fast?" I said, "Why? Because I had my foot to the floor. Sends more gas through the carburetor. Makes the engine go faster. The whole car just takes off like that." I said, "See this? This steers it." -----lmao
speakerboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

what kind of system is plug and play exchange for the Mach 460 head unit... cause mine won't play CD's any more.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

My 01 and my 03 have never had issues with any cd's or anything~ you can probably pick up a unit for cheap but... you wont know what you are getting until you install it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

seriously, is there an aftermarket thing that will work...?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Racin02GT

when i bought my 02 the changer was full and they had to order and exchange unit from united radio in syracuse... if you wanted to do that would would have to take it to a dealership and have them do it... i dont kno what it would cost they did it for me for free
Racin02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
what kind of system is plug and play exchange for the Mach 460 head unit... cause mine won't play CD's any more.
Junkyard thats about it, unless you wanna go factory. Which actually may be cheaper because of the way the 460 sound system is wired you have to bypass the two amps in the roof of your trunk. The 460 has 3 amps all of which become useless after an aftermarket head unit is put in. To do all the extra wiring would prolly cost as much as a factory replacement. inless you can do the wiring yourself
I once got pulled over and the cop said, "Why were you going so fast?" I said, "Why? Because I had my foot to the floor. Sends more gas through the carburetor. Makes the engine go faster. The whole car just takes off like that." I said, "See this? This steers it." -----lmao
Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerboxx View Post
Junkyard thats about it, unless you wanna go factory. Which actually may be cheaper because of the way the 460 sound system is wired you have to bypass the two amps in the roof of your trunk. The 460 has 3 amps all of which become useless after an aftermarket head unit is put in. To do all the extra wiring would prolly cost as much as a factory replacement. inless you can do the wiring yourself
it amazes me that no company has figured out how to simply replace the Mustang head unit... God damn it. it typically works alright, but the last month, it went from slow to mentally retarded, and now there's a CD in there, and I guess it's ****ing everything up, cause it keeps saying "CD ERROR"... I'm 'bout ready to take it out and ****ing drop kick it.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Mine doesn't like CD's with a cover sticker on it. It seems to hang up with them.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Uhm...dude...that is total and utter BS.

I have personally installed 3 stereos in a 460 equipped vehicle. I also have several friends who do installs for a living who will tell you that you CAN install an aftermarket headunit onto the 460 system.

As a matter of fact, I have a write up on this somewhere in the articles section that tells you exactly the model connector you need along with pictured instructions on how to install an aftermarket unit into a 460 equipped vehicle.
Our's:
Old 04-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

aight lowflyn.... what headunit do you recommend? Cause I'm seriously sick of this damn thing... and it's summer so the summer job will be taking full force, and I'll be able to get it. Just put up a couple different ones, Thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

What are you wanting it to do?
Our's:
Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

play CD's... and get radio stations... you know, like the stock thing is supposed to, lol... preferrably, with 6 disc changer.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:28 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

I have an Alpine head unit installed with the stock Mach 460 system.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

got a link to which one?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #24

[QUOTE=lowflyn;397939]Uhm...dude...that is total and utter BS.

I have personally installed 3 stereos in a 460 equipped vehicle. I also have several friends who do installs for a living who will tell you that you CAN install an aftermarket headunit onto the 460 system.

As a matter of fact, I have a write up on this somewhere in the articles section that tells you exactly the model connector you need along with pictured instructions on how to install an aftermarket unit into a 460 equipped vehicle.[/QUOTE.

If you've done it then its possible and i stand corrected......... If your running an aftermarket headunit directly into the wiring of the mach system without doing any amp bypasses your sending an amplified signal from the aftermarket unit and it's going into the mach amps and coming out at a lower level. Your not getting the full potential of your headunit. Since this guy just wants to play cd's thats fine i suppose, Ask your friends who install professionally and I bet they'll tell you to wire the head-unit directly to your speakers. I don't know of any harness that will let you just plug an after market unit into the mach system.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #25

Heres a link with other people with this problem on an audio forum Elite Car Audio : Car Audio Forum - 01 mach 460 head unit install(questions) I don't know how to hyperlink so just copy and paste..... .........The wiring plug/harness part number I suppose is FDK9B ......As an intaller though I'm saying this is not for audio quality, this will let you listen to cd's which is all you wanted, and no subwoofers additions in the future.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Heres a link with other people with this problem on an audio forum Elite Car Audio : Car Audio Forum - 01 mach 460 head unit install(questions) I don't know how to hyperlink so just copy and paste..... .........The wiring plug/harness part number I suppose is FDK9B ......As an intaller though I'm saying this is not for audio quality, this will let you listen to cd's which is all you wanted, and no subwoofers additions in the future.
I won't be adding subs... but I do want 6x9 quality like I have now...

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #27

If you want it to sound the same as a factory unit then the ONLY way to go is factory. I assure you that if you wire an aftermarket head unit through those mach amps you will not be happy.

Even if you did decide to bypass those amps and go for a new headunit it won't sound as good. The mach amps are 6 ohms wired in parallel putting out at 3 ohms. Thats a funky number to try and match. You will notice a difference no matter what you decide to do.

The way I see it, go for an all new system or go factory if you want it to sound good.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, I'm not dropping a new system into a GT... when I want a Termy in a couple years. I wouldn't mind dropping an aftermarket into that, but not the GT. So yeah, what options do I have... and what years of Mach 460 head unit will plug and play with the 02?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

Don't mean to hijack the thread but it's kind of on topic and I know jack about audio. I just bought an 02 GT that has the 460 system in it. The guy before me had subs installed and took them out when he sold me the car. He said that the audio didn't seem as good as it used to be before he installed the subs. I think it sounds good but I've never had the 460 system so I don't have anything to base it off of and it might not be right. Anyways on to the question There is still a line out converter wired into the wire harness in the truck. Would this effect the sound quality? If not then I'm going to guess that he was just remembering it wrong.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

I noticed when my subs were hooked up on my v-6 that they took the feed off the 6x9's... and it killed their quality when the amp was on. Like they basically didn't play.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickStang02 View Post
okies,
Here's the problem, probably not near as intricate as many questions on here, but here goes. I have a 6disc cd changer in my 02' stang, and for some gawd aweful reason, the no. 1 slot sticks ALL THE TIME! CD's going in or out, get stuck in there, and i have to fiddle to get them out, is something broke, jammed or what, it'd driving me insane! I don't really want to pay a bundle just to have it messed w/and still not fixed. Help, what should I do?
You mean yours still works?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can use an RF modulator to hook subs up to a 460 unit. It doesn't work very well...but it does it.

As he said, if you are just wanting to listen to cd's and aren't that worried about quality as far as aftermarket speakers and such, you can put an aftermarket unit or a factory unit in.

If you are going for a very high quality system, I'd recommend also redoing all the wiring.
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video