Driver Side Window won't roll down - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

a3705872 is unknown around these parts
Driver Side Window won't roll down

Hello all,

Well the fall season is upon us and that means less than 100 degree temps in South Texas. I have waited till fall to fix this problem as there was no need to open the windows in the Summer heat. My driver side window has acted funny for about 2 years now. The window wouldn't roll down sometimes (especially when left direct in the Summer sun). I would usually beat on the door till it worked and if that didn't work, I left it in the shade and it would work then next day. This Summer when we got our first 100 degree temperature, it stopped working and it never came back on. I know its either the motor or the regulator but is there a way to tell which one? I don't want to spend the money on a part that may not fix the problem.

Passenger window works so that scratches out the fuses.
Switched the switches around and the both worked on the passenger side, so switches are still good.
When I hold down the switch, it makes a clicking noise like there is power but no sound from motor.
When I click the switch up and down, my interior dome light dims slightly and then goes back to normal.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Driver Side Window won't roll down

its probably just a bad regulator or something else in the door, probably have to replace the whole setup~ I know on my 99 grand prix its all made together.

You can probably find the whole thing at a pull a part junk yard to grab for some what cheap.

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

SaleenFiend is unknown around these parts

These motors are known for having bad/weak contacts. More than likely the motor.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

02Nate281 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

I'm still trying to figure out how you "roll down" a power window.
But yeah, mine does the same thing when it's really hot outside. It's only happened twice this summer, but it always returns to normal operation after it cools down. One time it stopped working only for a few hours. But the second time, only about a month ago, it stopped working for a few DAYS. It's fine now, but if it happens again I'll just replace it.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A normal way to make it go up when it was stuck down is to slam the door over and over with your button pressed up.

I had to do that in my 01 Cobra before I got hit with a monsoon a few times.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

a3705872 is unknown around these parts

Well I got it working again Some other forum sites suggested to take a hammer to the window motor. I tapped it a couple of times while holding the switch down and it stated going down. So I guess as long as I keep it out of direct sunlight for a long period of time, I will be to roll it up and down for fall. The great thing is now I know when it craps out, its the motor and not the regulator.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

02Nate281 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Seems to be a common problem on an SN95.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

99ford is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
its probably just a bad regulator or something else in the door, probably have to replace the whole setup~ I know on my 99 grand prix its all made together.

You can probably find the whole thing at a pull a part junk yard to grab for some what cheap.
I'd be willing to bet money a Window Regulator would fix the problem, but I ran out of money last Friday, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you "roll down" a power window.
I was just reading an article, or somones blog a few days ago about this very thing.

I detailed a Chevy Cobalt a few weeks ago and the only thing automatic was the transmission. (What a PITA that was)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I'd be willing to bet money a Window Regulator would fix the problem.
(What a PITA that was)
The window motor is the cause of the problem. They are notorious on the SN-95s for these problems.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #10

Milton666 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Milton666

My car was having the same problem, drivers side window wouldn't roll down, then all the sudden today it starts working again... weird, still don't wanna use it though cause I'm afraid if I roll it down it won't roll back up.

Milton666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

bryanbrock is unknown around these parts

sounds to me like a pinched connection, I would simply take the door panal off and hot/cold test everything and also rig and bypass just about anything I think may be the problem till the damn thing works. good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock View Post
sounds to me like a pinched connection, I would simply take the door panal off and hot/cold test everything and also rig and bypass just about anything I think may be the problem till the damn thing works. good luck
The window motor is the cause of the problem. They are notorious on the SN-95s for these problems.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #13

Milton666 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Milton666

Anyone have any problems with getting their window to roll back up? Mines been working again lately but I have been afraid to roll it down in case it decided to not go back up... any problems with that or just with going down?

Milton666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton666 View Post
Anyone have any problems with getting their window to roll back up? Mines been working again lately but I have been afraid to roll it down in case it decided to not go back up... any problems with that or just with going down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
A normal way to make it go up when it was stuck down is to slam the door over and over with your button pressed up.

I had to do that in my 01 Cobra before I got hit with a monsoon a few times.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #15

gnatsum1 is unknown around these parts
Driver Side Window won't roll down

Hi I have a 2001 mustang, and drive side window won't go up. At first it went up when I open the door, but when I moved the wires in the door jam a little it stopped completely and the window is stuck half way now. I have tried just about everthing such as checking the fuse, slaming the door hit the motor while holding the switch, I have waited several hours to see it work and still nothing. All want is to get the window up so I want loose any sleep about it (no garage).

Can anyone please HELP! lol
Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatsum1 View Post
Hi I have a 2001 mustang, and drive side window won't go up. At first it went up when I open the door, but when I moved the wires in the door jam a little it stopped completely and the window is stuck half way now. I have tried just about everthing such as checking the fuse, slaming the door hit the motor while holding the switch, I have waited several hours to see it work and still nothing. All want is to get the window up so I want loose any sleep about it (no garage).

Can anyone please HELP! lol
There should be two wires going into the motor. Hook up some jumper cables (not real jumper cables) just two wires... one from the positive and one from the negative of the battery and touch each motor wire with one. Depending which way the window moves (up/down) you may need to swap which wires are touching which. If this doesn't work your motor may be bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video