smelling something - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to wkndpaintballer
Exclamation smelling something

ok guys heres the problem, i have 2 2500 watt Boss GT amps and 2 12 Pioneer Premier SPL 12s, i've had them around 3 or 4 months and the only problem ive had is the amps cut off because my power wire wasnt big enough so i bought some 2 gauge last week, fixed that problem then 2 days ago i installed a JVC double din touchscreen, and now im smelling something electrical burning, i was thinking it was my factory amps because they are now getting 12-14v turn on instead of the 5v factory, so i took it to a local audio shop and the installer said it could be my subs so i cranked them up on my way home and opened the trunk and it smells like the burning is coming from the coils on the subs. i dont know what to do any help would be appreciated

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
wkndpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: smelling something

Are you sure that the two amps you are running aren't too much for the teo 12" subs? is that 2500 watts per amp rms or what? how many channels is the amp and how is it hooked up? if so, you are running 5000 watts of amp through 2000 watts of speaker...

on a side note, if i might ask, why on earth are you running that much stereo in a mustang? the interior of a mustang is so small that having a setup with that much wattage would just be a waste and make a bunch of noise as you wont have much open space to hear it clearly. that and I would think it would be wearing your battery/alternator in a hurry drawing that much power from it...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well the amps are rated at 2500 watt max and 1500 rms and the subs are rated at 3000 watt max and 1000 rms and one amp is hooked up to one speaker so there should be no problem with the amps being too much for the subs. you'd be surprised at how well it does sound the only problem with it is that it created a lot of rattles but i rarely turn them all the way up, and i am going to put a capacitor on it shortly so it wont have as much wear on my batt

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
on a side note, if i might ask, why on earth are you running that much stereo in a mustang? the interior of a mustang is so small that having a setup with that much wattage would just be a waste and make a bunch of noise as you wont have much open space to hear it clearly. that and I would think it would be wearing your battery/alternator in a hurry drawing that much power from it...
Please tell me your kidding on the whole is that system to big for a mustang cause if you think thats alot you havent seen the type of systems Ive installed and im sure others have seen in stangs.

As for the burning Id send your subs off to the company and see if the voicecoils are bad
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have seen systems much bigger than that in much smaller cars such as mustangs sure, but that still doesn't mean that it's not overkill...I like my stereo setup to sound good for ME in the car, not for the rest of the world to hear...I don't see the point in putting big-a$$ stereos in a little-a$$ car...besides that, I am more about go than show...but to each his own...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i dont know where the warranty papers are should that be a problem i think my stepdad threw them away with the boxes that they came in

also im not sure its the subs because they still hit hard as ***** and it could be coming from somewhere else but i dont know for sure im gonna call the company and see if it is going to be a problem not having the warranty papers

Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

and to y2e0l0l5ogwt when you have a six banger theres not a whole lot of go so make it show and the only thing you can hear outside the car is the trunk rattling which i cant fix other than taking the subs out

Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

and I disagree...I had a v6, you can make them plenty quick although I have to say, now that I have a 8, I wouldn't go back to a v6 for any amount of money in the world...the only non-v8 mustang that I would ever own again is an SVO which I intend to buy one of these days...now that's a sleeper car for ya...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yeah ive been wanting to turbo or super charge mine but the $ factor is keeping me out of it

Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
Please tell me your kidding on the whole is that system to big for a mustang cause if you think thats alot you havent seen the type of systems Ive installed and im sure others have seen in stangs.

As for the burning Id send your subs off to the company and see if the voicecoils are bad
Meh... Finish them off first. The only way we ever sent them back is if they wouldn't even play. I used to have two Pioneer SPl 10's in a ported box with a Kenwood 1600 watt amp. That **** was LOUD, but then again, just useless weight so I sold it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndpaintballer View Post
i dont know where the warranty papers are should that be a problem i think my stepdad threw them away with the boxes that they came in

also im not sure its the subs because they still hit hard as ***** and it could be coming from somewhere else but i dont know for sure im gonna call the company and see if it is going to be a problem not having the warranty papers
Sometimes brand new subs will have to burn off some material that may have been on them and it does smell, but if it is a strong burning smell, then the VC's are on there way out. Just finish them off and take them back to where you bought them from, or better yet just call pioneer and send them back and they'll send you another directly. 1800PIONEER. They are really good to work with especially on warranty's. Since they are in the "Premier" category there should be a limited two year warranty on them(they won't cover if you puncture the cone and other stupid **** obviously).

The other thing is a lot of speakers have a distortion rating. If you give them a ****ty amp that has high distortion, which whether--you'd like to admit it or not--you have, they can still be sounding like they are not disctorting to the human ear, but be cooking your voice coils. Boss, California Audio, Road Thunder, Planet Audio, and others are companies that mostly just throw power at the subs with no concern for the way they sound. Yeah, you know the companies that you pay 1000 bucks for a 500 watt amp(Alpine, JL Audio, Punch[yes they make good amps], MTX, Phoenix Gold[back in the day], and others)? The reason they are so expensive is because they focus more on sound and making sure their amps aren't going to fry your speakers. Also, when you bridge a 2 channel amp to make it one, sure you increase the power output, but you sometimes 10 fold the amount of distortion that comes through. Again, the human ear just can't hear that kind of distortion a lot of the time, ESPECIALLY IN SUBS. That's why you will ALWAYS pay more for an amp that pushes components, tweets and the like(A[not common at all], B, and AB class) with X amount of wattage/power than you will for a Subwoofer(D-Class amp).

I could go further into the reasoning behind this like about how the higher class amps still make the same power it is just wasted for the sake of sound quality but that is a whole nother rant . Hope that helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video