Place to get stock rims painted or powdercoated? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Place to get stock rims painted or powdercoated?

Does anybody know of a good shop in the Edmond/OKC area that could paint or powdercoat a set of 2004 pony package aluminum rims black for under $300? If you know of such a place, could you please post:
1. The name of the shop
2. A phone # if you have one
3. An address
4. Your experience with them or someone you know's experience

Thank you in advance. Btw, any feedback would be appreciated.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
Does anybody know of a good shop in the Edmond/OKC area that could paint or powdercoat a set of 2004 pony package aluminum rims black for under $300? If you know of such a place, could you please post:
1. The name of the shop
2. A phone # if you have one
3. An address
4. Your experience with them or someone you know's experience

Thank you in advance. Btw, any feedback would be appreciated.
Bump.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bump.
Anybody know a good paint/powdercoating shop in Edmond/okc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Place to get stock rims painted or powdercoated?

I've painted several sets of wheels with spray paint. Just take your time prepping and don't put it on too thick.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I've painted several sets of wheels with spray paint. Just take your time prepping and don't put it on too thick.
Do they turn out good? Did you use clearcoat?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If your gonna spend $ on the wheels it be better to get them anodized, where they negatively charge the wheels and make them adhere to black that way. Doing that will make them last longer than a paint job. If you spend the time prepping the wheels yourself and take the time to spray them yourself than it's only about 40$ for paint, tape and primer. If you do it correctly a spray paint will last over a year with no chips. It isn't very difficult to spray em yourself but it requires patience.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
If your gonna spend $ on the wheels it be better to get them anodized, where they negatively charge the wheels and make them adhere to black that way. Doing that will make them last longer than a paint job. If you spend the time prepping the wheels yourself and take the time to spray them yourself than it's only about 40$ for paint, tape and primer. If you do it correctly a spray paint will last over a year with no chips. It isn't very difficult to spray em yourself but it requires patience.
How do anodize them? Like give it a negative charge?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How do anodize them? Like give it a negative charge?
Its a process where the wheel is dipped in acid and corroded to its new state, this prevents any further corrosion, it hardens the wheel as well it permanently changes the wheel color. Ohh one BIG THING, the wheels have to be ALUMINUM. Its much better to get the harder anodized job rather than soft. You would have to find a local shop that will do it, I'm in socal.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its a process where the wheel is dipped in acid and corroded to its new state, this prevents any further corrosion, it hardens the wheel as well it permanently changes the wheel color. Ohh one BIG THING, the wheels have to be ALUMINUM. Its much better to get the harder anodized job rather than soft. You would have to find a local shop that will do it, I'm in socal.
Oh, okay, my wheels are the aluminum wheels. I'm in right in the middle of Oklahoma.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh, okay, my wheels are the aluminum wheels. I'm in right in the middle of Oklahoma.
My advice is to save a little more and get them anodized if your gonna drop the cash. If your gonna paint them I would say do it yourself. Hope this helped.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, thanks. My friend has done a set of rims before, so I might just paint them considering I'm on a pretty tight budget. But I was just wondering, do they make a matte clearcoat? I was going to have matte black racing stripes painted on, and I think they would look better matching.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, thanks. My friend has done a set of rims before, so I might just paint them considering I'm on a pretty tight budget. But I was just wondering, do they make a matte clearcoat? I was going to have matte black racing stripes painted on, and I think they would look better matching.
Uhh I think the answer is no because it wouldn't be clear. Clearcoat is just paint with no color. I'm not a paint expert so I may be wrong. If you put a good layer of matte paint on you won't need a clear coat.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Uhh I think the answer is no because it wouldn't be clear. Clearcoat is just paint with no color. I'm not a paint expert so I may be wrong. If you put a good layer of matte paint on you won't need a clear coat.
Okay, because I was planning on matte black racing stripes professionally painted on, but he won't do rims.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay, because I was planning on matte black racing stripes professionally painted on, but he won't do rims.
Yea that should turn out really good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video