Head units - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Head units

Does anyone know if anyone makes a head unit with a built in hard driver flash drive? Seems like in today's day and age they would be pretty easy to find, but I can't. HELP!!!!
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Head units

Not sure what you mean?

Are you looking for a head unit that has a card slot for flash drives? And are you looking for USB? SD Card? Micro-SD?

Some units had a USB ready connection to directly connect USB thumb drives. However, a lot of companies are focusing more on iPod and Satellite Radio which is eliminating features such as CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy
Not sure what you mean?

Are you looking for a head unit that has a card slot for flash drives? And are you looking for USB? SD Card? Micro-SD?

Some units had a USB ready connection to directly connect USB thumb drives. However, a lot of companies are focusing more on iPod and Satellite Radio which is eliminating features such as CD.
A built in hard drive or flash drive. That way you don't have to carry an iPod with you or leave it in your car to get stolen. If a headhunt had a built in hard drive you could put a cd or plug an iPod up to it, copy you favorite songs to it and never have to use a cd or iPod again unless u want to copy more songs to it. Why is this technology not in the US? They have it in japan and France, I thought we were the best of the best when it came to technology.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I would think that the use and need of technology around the world is quite different. Since we are so attached to our iPods and now iPhones and they go everywhere we go; it is now easier to just plug them in and out. Of course I do know some people who buy additional iPods and leave them plugged in their cars.

Additionally technology keeps changing. The format of our media keeps evolving as technology does. In just a couple of years we've gone from CDs to mp3s and only years before that cars had cassettes equipped. Now it seems that car manufacturers are incorporating more of actual computer technology in their cars and because people are now "always on" or "always connected" to the internet, manufacturers are implementing this. Pandora radio is now being implemented in car audio systems.

Of course this does not mean you do not have options. Aftermarket radios now have multiple expandability. Navigational units often have SD card slots (for installing map upgrades) which sometimes offer the ability to play music. Despite what Apple wants to believe, not everyone has an iPhone or iPod (*ahem* me *ahem*). So where does that leave those who own Zune, or Creative mp3 players? There are aftermarket radios which offer USB or USB ready support. some radios require additional hardware or the connection is in the back while others have a USB slot right on the faceplate for USB flash/storage devices.

There is a community of modders, just like there are some people who like to do modifications to make better race cars, there are those who want better audio or furthermore technology in their cars. From this people are now implementing computers in their car, running everything from simple Linux/Windows XP OS to custom built open source software. I am mentioning this because this option basically allows you to have storage capabilities as big as you want to spend on a hard drive. The car-puter/carpc world was born.

Of course a simpler method, and in theory, this should work with a portable hard drive and an aftermarket radio with USB capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes a head unit with a built in hard driver flash drive? Seems like in today's day and age they would be pretty easy to find, but I can't. HELP!!!!
i don't think so ,some people just carry laptops.
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I have a sony xplod with a flash drive port on it. It also has an aux in port.

Receivers | Sony | Sony Style USA
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood and many others offer head units with a USB port on the front, along with CD. Pioneer has a Double Din size with both USB and SD Card slot on the front (AVH-P3200DVD). Depends on the car you're planning on upgrading as to what size will fit. I think Kenwood used to offer a remote HDD for some of their headunits, but I haven't seen that in a few years. I would think that with the USB sticks now hitting 64GB or larger, the Ipod classic at over 100GB, and the popularity of the Ipod/Iphone, it just got phased out, not to mention the volatile nature of automotive interiors, unless you were using SSD's typical platter style HDD's don't like all the vibrations, dust, extreme heat/cold, humidity they would have to endure on a daily basis. As stated, you could probably adapt a system to work off of the library on a laptop or portable external HDD. Good luck in your search!
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Alpine has the iPod jack that goes in glove box and you can control iPod from deck. That is a nice touch. I have one in my truck. Charges every kind but the touch
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Alpine has the iPod jack that goes in glove box and you can control iPod from deck. That is a nice touch. I have one in my truck. Charges every kind but the touch
i have that in my jeep and the mustang i love that, nice touch.what i did is put it center console instead of glove box
Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i have the avh p4200 DVD
it has a usb plug where u can plug in a flash drive or portable hard drive into
also has a slot for a micro sd card. i routed the usb cord into my glove box so if i want to watch a movie or listen to music on it i can just plug my flash drive in and go through the files on it on the head unit

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718 View Post
i have the avh p4200 DVD
it has a usb plug where u can plug in a flash drive or portable hard drive into
also has a slot for a micro sd card. i routed the usb cord into my glove box so if i want to watch a movie or listen to music on it i can just plug my flash drive in and go through the files on it on the head unit
nice,very cool

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video