Need help with 5 channel AMP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Need help with 5 channel AMP

I just bought a brand new Jensen 5500 power 5 channel amp. I currently only have the sub that I want to wire the 5th channel too, however am running into some weird problems. First I want to know what BUS terminals are? I haven't had a system in a while and my CD player (Sony Xplod CGT650ui or something) has 5 RCA cable outlets (front, rear, BUS, and an external one that has its own black RCA wires???) Since I'm only wanting to wire the sub for now I wanted to know what channel to plug the RCA's into? My second big issue is that the AMP's power is turning off when I switch from the radio to the USB (AMP power light turns off)? Any thoughts? Lastly as far as my remote wire goes, my head unit has both a plain blue wire and a blue/white wire and currently my amp is connected to the solid blue wire, but I can always try the other wire. The speaker wire seems pretty simple as I'm using the 5th channel outlets and wiring them directly to the SUB. Please if you can help let me know otherwise I may have a long day tomorrow.
Thanks,
Justin.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull
I just bought a brand new Jensen 5500 power 5 channel amp. I currently only have the sub that I want to wire the 5th channel too, however am running into some weird problems. First I want to know what BUS terminals are? I haven't had a system in a while and my CD player (Sony Xplod CGT650ui or something) has 5 RCA cable outlets (front, rear, BUS, and an external one that has its own black RCA wires???) Since I'm only wanting to wire the sub for now I wanted to know what channel to plug the RCA's into? My second big issue is that the AMP's power is turning off when I switch from the radio to the USB (AMP power light turns off)? Any thoughts? Lastly as far as my remote wire goes, my head unit has both a plain blue wire and a blue/white wire and currently my amp is connected to the solid blue wire, but I can always try the other wire. The speaker wire seems pretty simple as I'm using the 5th channel outlets and wiring them directly to the SUB. Please if you can help let me know otherwise I may have a long day tomorrow.
Thanks,
Justin.
My guess for RCA inputs would be rear, that's kind of a general thing. As for the power for the amp; normally, the amp turn on wire is found in the installation guide of the head unit itself or the manufactures website. Sometimes, depending on the headunit, it won't turn on for anything but certain inputs such as the radio. Oh, and every head unit ive looked at has the turn on wire being the blue w/ white stripe.
Hope this helps! Good luck man

Edit: and I just reread your post, the RCA out you should use is the rear output, just because your only using it for the sub. And if you need anything else, pm me, I'll try to help as best as possible. Or, you could go to a local bestbuy/audio installation shop, they would definitely be able to help
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
K...try the other remote wire and it may solve your shutting off issue and I dunno about the other stuff. Email Jensen

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Need help with 5 channel AMP

Remote is all good. I just crimped all 3 together (solid blue, blue/white, and remote). So now when i switch from radio to USB the power light is still on. If I run my RCA's from the rear output on the head unit do I still conect them to the 5th channel input on the amp (5/1 and 5/2 which is what it says on the Jensen). Lastly I read the amp manual and it stated it required a 12gau speaker wire at a minimum. I just bought 12 gau speaker wire and will replace the 16 gauge I have on there. Thanks for your input guys. I'll keep you posted and let me know about the correct channel if you can.
Thanks again.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It's a Jensen, if you read the manual it states in there that their product is unlikely to function properly, unless your car is on a 20 degree incline. In the troubleshooting section it will tell you to insert a screwdriver into the cd slot and wail on it the a hammer. Their customer service number is (1-800-its-broke-again). Lmfao!

Sorry couldn't help it, Jensen hands down makes the worst products I have ever seen, anyway I know it may sound stupid, but did you possibly read it wrong? Bus might have actually been sub, Which is what I've seen on most of the Sony head units I have installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
It's a Jensen, if you read the manual it states in there that their product is unlikely to function properly, unless your car is on a 20 degree incline. In the troubleshooting section it will tell you to insert a screwdriver into the cd slot and wail on it the a hammer. Their customer service number is (1-800-its-broke-again). Lmfao!

Sorry couldn't help it, Jensen hands down makes the worst products I have ever seen, anyway I know it may sound stupid, but did you possibly read it wrong? Bus might have actually been sub, Which is what I've seen on most of the Sony head units I have installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
All the headunits I've seen say use the rear output, then you change a setting saying it leads to a sub
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

NO I did not read it wrong as it says clear as day BUS, but I am also aware that BUS spells SUB backwards so thanks for clarifying that for me projectpny or not. I've switched my RCA cables 2-4 times now from BUS to the 5th channel RCA input which is what the JENSEN manual states to do, and I've also tried using the rear RCA to the 5th channel input and still nothing. I'm going to recheck my subwoofer speaker wire today. It is a 2x4 Ohm audiopipe TSRV10 10 inch sub.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
All the headunits I've seen say use the rear output, then you change a setting saying it leads to a sub
But there are a lot that have front, rear, and sub. I've seen some cheapies that just have one low level output.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
NO I did not read it wrong as it says clear as day BUS, but I am also aware that BUS spells SUB backwards so thanks for clarifying that for me projectpny or not. I've switched my RCA cables 2-4 times now from BUS to the 5th channel RCA input which is what the JENSEN manual states to do, and I've also tried using the rear RCA to the 5th channel input and still nothing. I'm going to recheck my subwoofer speaker wire today. It is a 2x4 Ohm audiopipe TSRV10 10 inch sub.
Didn't mean to get you all worked up guy. Just having a good laugh, but back to business. What impedence do you have your sub wired to, and what is the rated impedence for that amp? If it's a dual 4ohm, wired in series will yield 8ohm, and parrallel will drop you to 2 ohms. Post the model number of the amp and I'll look into it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked on the sub and it looks like is has a nominal rating of 250watts. That amp is just plain not going to give you enough juice for that sub. Are you planning on using the other channels for your door speakers? If not, a 2-channel or monoblock will work much better for powering a subwoofer. As for your remote wire, the blue with white stipe from the head unit is the one you want to use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video