Best Head Unit For 06 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Best Head Unit For 06 GT?

I'm in desperate need of a quality low cost head unit for my 06 GT. The main reason for this is my stang doesn't have the iPhone/iPod auxiliary hookup and I would love to have my entire music library in my car at all times instead of having to burn a billion CDs and not know what's on them.

Thanks guys/girls
Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Look for a adapter that will hook up to the existing radio to use your iPod. It will be much cheaper then a new radio and will look really clean. You can get them off crutchfield. Not sure their price range but they do look better then a cheap head unit.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Look for a adapter that will hook up to the existing radio to use your iPod. It will be much cheaper then a new radio and will look really clean. You can get them off crutchfield. Not sure their price range but they do look better then a cheap head unit.
Well I want to eventually add some subs and what not. I've never been good at wiring and all that. Will I still be able to put aftermarket subs, speakers and an amp in with the adapter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Best Head Unit For 06 GT?

yes. just have to wire it differently than an aftermarket stereo. but i would keep the stock head unit
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would yank that stock unit outta there in a heart beat. Put a decent deck in and some comparable speakers too. I'm sure your radio sounds okay but your only prolly pushing around 10watts to each speaker. You buy a deck that doubles the power and it will make those speakers sound like the best thing ever for about a month. After that the excess power will tear those cones apart. I would buy a deck like a pioneer or alpine. Alpine has the best apple sync systems around. Maybe later you could add a sub and you could lengthen the life of your whole system too...

If you add a deck I would change your speakers too...

But he was right there are factory hookups made by numerous manufactures that will play your iPod through the factory radio. Take a trip to say your nearest best buy, ask one of there installers about what you can do. You may not end up buying anything from them, but they will tell you everything about every possible option... Good luck to ya..

289 With 302 heads Bored .30= Edellbrock Performer RPM = Holley 650 Double Pump = Hooker Headers to Flowmaster 55's= 03 Billet Rims = Name a part... Its been replaced.
Shanes0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes0406
I would yank that stock unit outta there in a heart beat. Put a decent deck in and some comparable speakers too. I'm sure your radio sounds okay but your only prolly pushing around 10watts to each speaker. You buy a deck that doubles the power and it will make those speakers sound like the best thing ever for about a month. After that the excess power will tear those cones apart. I would buy a deck like a pioneer or alpine. Alpine has the best apple sync systems around. Maybe later you could add a sub and you could lengthen the life of your whole system too...

If you add a deck I would change your speakers too...

But he was right there are factory hookups made by numerous manufactures that will play your iPod through the factory radio. Take a trip to say your nearest best buy, ask one of there installers about what you can do. You may not end up buying anything from them, but they will tell you everything about every possible option... Good luck to ya..
Yeah dude thanks. I'm looking for some serious sound down the road. What kinda deck do ya recommend
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking

[QUOTE=Shanes0406;900563] I'm sure your radio sounds okay but your only prolly pushing around 10watts to each speaker.[QUOTE]

correction. factory stereo is rated at 25 watts to each speaker. not much still
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Factory radios are rated at 25 watts. You are correct. But that's not RMS. That's peak. When you look at a deck it'll say 50wtX4 but really it's like 25wtX4 @ 4 ohms... Factory, unless amplified, is never a true 25...

But you can add and amp to any sound system, they have a little thing called a line output converter and it gives a substitute RCA output... They run like 20$ if you decide to keep your factory....

289 With 302 heads Bored .30= Edellbrock Performer RPM = Holley 650 Double Pump = Hooker Headers to Flowmaster 55's= 03 Billet Rims = Name a part... Its been replaced.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I personally recommend alpine. They are a little bit more expensive but worth it. I would buy a decent alpine deck, match it with some alpine speakers... Same with amp and sub... I used to have an all alpine set up with 4 10" Type -R's and 2 mono block 1000 watt amps... It was ridiculous when you cranked it up... But sounded amazing when you had it at a reasonable listening volume...

But to each his own... Some people will swear by there stereo and say they prefer this brand I've any... It's all opinion based.. Do your homework, make the best decision for you

Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I second Alpine. They have never given me problems.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I actually would take that head unit out too personally. I put a whole system in my car like a week after I got my stang. Kenwood excelon head unit jl audio zr 6.5s and a JL 13W7. Crazy good sound but ALOT OF WEIGHT
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I just keep the original systems in my cars because people see a nice stereo and all they wanto do is steal it.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
I just keep the original systems in my cars because people see a nice stereo and all they wanto do is steal it.
People see my nice car and all they want to do is steal & strip it. Kenwoods gave me a huge hassle so I would recommend NOT getting one of those. Their connection contacts on the faceplate & stereo body wear down quickly which means the stereo kills itself anytime you try and change the settings or do something with the head unit.
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTsunami88
I'm in desperate need of a quality low cost head unit for my 06 GT. The main reason for this is my stang doesn't have the iPhone/iPod auxiliary hookup and I would love to have my entire music library in my car at all times instead of having to burn a billion CDs and not know what's on them.

Thanks guys/girls
Tommy
I have the same problem I think I'm gonna install a alpine cde 121, I used to have this in my jeep but I sold it and got my stang. I know I'll have to put a pocket in but I think I kinda want the pocket so I'll have more room to stash stuff. Hehe well actually im not gonna install it I'll have bestbuy do that I hate messing with wires (which I previously learned from my jeep)
Cdlax93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've known so many people with that issue but I myself have never had it happen and I worked at a audio shop. Lol and it's not just nice cars people break into. I had a beater that someone broke the window out to steal a cd visor holder with 5 burnt CDs in it and some loose change. What some people stoop to
Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Here's my 06
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1968213238.png
Views:	923
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	27184  
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya11
Here's my 06
What head unit is that?
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Kenwood DDX 318
Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

More pictures I took earlier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1851658397.png
Views:	196
Size:	1,021.0 KB
ID:	27206   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3438053809.png
Views:	219
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	27207  

Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Damn idk if I could handle tv while I'm drivin ha
Cdlax93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well it connects to only work while your ebrake is on but you can ground it too bypass it, I don't watch it and drive..often haha just kidding.. It comes thru in nice surround sound too.. I just need to find a nice amp and sub.. I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg, I also don't want a sub that you can hear a block away just a sub to provide a nice kick with the music.. My head unit actually blew out my door kicker.. So I'll have disconnect that piece of **** and maybe get a 10 or 12 inch sub any recommendations? Like I said I don't like when the woofer eliminates all the other sounds and just sounds like a deep rumble box with no sound quality if you know what I mean
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya11
Well it connects to only work while your ebrake is on but you can ground it too bypass it, I don't watch it and drive..often haha just kidding.. It comes thru in nice surround sound too.. I just need to find a nice amp and sub.. I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg, I also don't want a sub that you can hear a block away just a sub to provide a nice kick with the music.. My head unit actually blew out my door kicker.. So I'll have disconnect that piece of **** and maybe get a 10 or 12 inch sub any recommendations? Like I said I don't like when the woofer eliminates all the other sounds and just sounds like a deep rumble box with no sound quality if you know what I mean
I used MTX Thunders in my Ranger for years. They didn't thump like others out there but they definitely made a smooth sound after they were worked in.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Good that's what it should be systems are made for your own enjoyment not other annoyment haha if I can hear your sub over my system something wrong and you need to stop trying so hard to be cool.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I reccomend alpines and pioneers. I reccomed treo engineering subs and kicker cvx subs
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video