strange problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to wkndpaintballer
Question strange problem

ok im driving along with my music goin and my subs hitting then all of a sudden they start hitting harder for a while then quiet back down... i've figured out that one of my amps is cutting off but i cant figure out which one because one: i dont know it has cut off until it cut back on and two: it only does it when im going down the road... so i try to cut one down and see if the other cuts off but then neither do and then i try the other same result... i opened up my trunk to look at the settings on the amps both are identical but i noticed only one of the amps had the fan running but after running the system for about 10 minutes the one with the fan running was hotter to the touch2:. my system is 2 pioneer 12" spl3004 subs and 2 boss 2500gt amps with 2 gauge wiring and a jvc doubledin touchscreen head unit... i am thoroughly confused.. any ideas about how to figure out which amp is cutting off? i have installed and fixed so many systems for my friends but cannot seem to figure this one out... thanks in advance for any help

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
wkndpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: strange problem

The first thing I would check is make sure both of the amps have good grounds. This is the biggest problem in most systems.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yes i had that problem both amps would cut on but neither subs would work so i thought maybe i blew them so i took them to an audio shop and had them tested and it turned out the ground i had been using and worked fine for months was some how bad now, but the amp had been cutting off before this, so i relocated the grounds and they both have plenty of voltage going to each one so i dont think this is the problem

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Are you sure they are wired up correctly?

And I just realized you are in Decatur, I'm up there at least once a week for work lol. How crazy is that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i mean they worked perfectly for like two weeks then they started cutting off so i upgraded to 2 gauge wire and it helped but they still cut off... one hits hard enough but its just so much better when both are going at it...

haha wow not much here tho... i live pretty much right in the center of town

Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You have Boss amps, what more needs to be said.... Surprised the distortion on those amps haven't fried your Pioneer SPL's yet....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Kinda sounds like you need a new alternator. Are you running a stock alternator cause perhaps it's not giving enough juice. If your amp is overheating than it probably isn't getting enough power, either that or it's bad.

Sounds silly but is the 2 gauge actual 2 gauge? I've seen people with wiring advertised as 4 gauge but it's really 8 gauge or so with 4 gauge worth of rubber that they picked up at like Wal-Mart or a cheap store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yeah its actually 2 gauge its phoenix gold i think i got it from a local car audio shop it was the biggest they had... i know i need a cap but it had been working fine... im probably just gonna take the amps apart to see if i can get the fan in the other one working again

Old 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Caps do nothing but put a bandaid on the situation.... Your alternator still has to recharge something meaning that it's still going to be working pretty hard... Capacitors STORE power, they do not PRODUCE power. They still require to be "recharged" when drained by a heavy note being played. For example, you play a 5 second long 30 hz note, it will play for the first second MAYBE, but after that the lights will dim, and your typical problems will arise. I suggest you check in to a higher amperage alternator like a 200 amp or higher. Stinger makes some pretty good products and so does powermaster.

STINGER HIGH PERFORMANCE ALTERNATORS from STINGER HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR AUDIO ACCESSORIES | StreetPerformance.com

Ford

After looking at your avatar more closely, your problem is finding someone who makes a high amp alternator for an S197 mustang. I've seen 200+ amp alternators for a new edge, but no luck yet on an S197. There is a reason you see people with money compete in sound competitions, it takes some money to get competitive, unless you are just doing your local sound off which is usually an unlimited class with some who has 10 12's in an explorer with 10 amps... Don't know if that is your intent or not, but in all honesty it takes money to get a GOOD system running right.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Although IMO Caps are still a good idea in general to a system. They'll help if the lights go dim. If you go for competition you will need a lot of work. Go with a new alternator and possibly a new battery and upgrade the "Big 3". This should all upgrade the electrical system in your car. Also make sure you're using the same size wire as both a power and ground. So since you are running a 2 gauge wire to the amp as power make sure you have a 2 gauge wire running to the chassis as a ground as well. And of course obviously although I'll throw this all in anyway, make sure you have the proper fuse within 6 inches of the battery and the ground wire from the amp is as short as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video