System Upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
System Upgrade

I currently have two 12" subs working in a custom box in my trunk w/ a 760w Pioneer amp. That's good enough bass for me now...planning on upgrading later. In the mean time I want to upgrade all of my cabin speakers including my deck to competition level. The deck will be a touchscreen full navigation/dvd/combo. My concern and looking for opinions are in the speakers. I have the 460 system now and don't even know what size of speakers I can fit in the rear deck and door panels. What size of speakers do I need to look for and what else should I know about upgrading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: System Upgrade

Anyone have input on this?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Sorry, some of us have a job.

To your question:

The 460 system uses 5x7/6x8 speakers in the doors and rear deck. It also incorporates tweeters in the sail panels and rear deck as well.

If you are wanting to upgrade speakers and everything, you might as well go ahead and plan on rewiring the entire car. You will need to run wires to all the speakers as well as to the trunk for the amps and subs. It's not really that hard, I did it in mine in about 5 hours.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about asking too frequent...I also have a job but there is from one to the next.

Anyways, when you say "5x7/6x9" do you mean it can be either one of them and if that's the case the logical thing to do would be going with the bigger 6x9 right? I never thought wiring the car was within my area of work. Is there some sort of tutorial or online guide that can help me determine whether I'd like to do this myself or hire a professional? Should I keep anything else in mind when looking for speakers? I still don't have a clear answer on the size I need.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you read my post it says 5x7/6x8, not 6x9. The 5x7 and 6x8 are the same speaker size, just slightly different mounting points. You should be able to buy either and mount them in the factory location.

There really is nothing to wiring, you just have to run speaker wires from the head unit to all the other speakers. This does involve taking your interior apart, but it's really not much harder than taking it apart to replace the speakers.

BTW, go ahead and plan on ditching the entire rear deck setup and mounting the new speakers on top, you'll save yourself some headache in the end with mounting depths and such.
Our's:
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I see that. Good information here what about the actual speakers what type do you guys recommend. I went to crutchfield.com and found I think I need a decision on components or not. Also what do I do w/ the "tweets" along my window can I open up the casing and stick some actual tweeters in there?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you want to replace those tweeters you can. In that case I would recommend looking into components.

The only difference between normal 3 or 4 way speakers and components is you have an external crossover in components that will give you more adjustibility than normal speakers.
Our's:
Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to wkndpaintballer

sonicelectronix.com has a much better price on their products than crutchfield... yes components allow for greater adjustability and therefore better sound quality but they are a little more expensive... i think im gonna go with rockford fosgate when i redo mine... plus in the stang you pretty much have to take out the whole interior to replace the rear deck speakers neway if you wanna mount them from the top so wiring will just be one little extra thing to do before you reassemble your car

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
wkndpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong: I have 5 x 7/6 x 8 both in the rear and front of my car, right? Will 6 x 8 fit in both places? I've looked into it a bit more and I'm leaning towards Infinity Kappa components in the front and Kappa (non components) in the back.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to wkndpaintballer

i know they will in the 05+ not entirely sure on the 04 model tho, if a 5x7 will fit most 6x8s will too

NOBODY cares about threats over the internet. Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard. FIGHTING ONLINE is like racing in the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still RETARDED .
wkndpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Comments on what I want to go with, Kappas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video