replacing mach 460 sound system in 96 gt?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
replacing mach 460 sound system in 96 gt??

from looking at the door tweeters i can see that my 96 has the 460 mach sound system.. or at least its supposed to. i took off the door panels and the back speaker covers and the speakers are aftermarket..all four of them. but the amps are missing and only the 2 back speakers are connected.. my system sounds like crap . lol . besides the amps what am i going to need to install to make all of the speakers work? i removed the deck (stock cd and cassette) and i have no clue on how to connect them.. help
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: replacing mach 460 sound system in 96 gt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
from looking at the door tweeters i can see that my 96 has the 460 mach sound system.. or at least its supposed to. i took off the door panels and the back speaker covers and the speakers are aftermarket..all four of them. but the amps are missing and only the 2 back speakers are connected.. my system sounds like crap . lol . besides the amps what am i going to need to install to make all of the speakers work? i removed the deck (stock cd and cassette) and i have no clue on how to connect them.. help
Mach 460 Is a b*&#! of a sound system. your better off bypassing the amps if not taking them out completely. I'd redo all your wiring and wire harness. Make sure your door clamps are good too because there notroius for breaking I have like 2 broken in each door of mine. check for wears and tears in your speakers and replace the ones needed. Put in a after market head unit. If you can't do it I'd suggest paying someone to install if your not knowledgeable in wiring because it's a super head ache.
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i figured its a piece of crap lol. so basically replace the whole thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
yeah i figured its a piece of crap lol. so basically replace the whole thing?
Basicly, I would I did in my V6 before I had my V8 now im more worried about performance than sound system :] I'd rather hear my engine purrrr than my music blasting.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

lol you know your actually right. i really hadnt noticed how bad my system was until now because ive been so focused on performance but now that i think about it id rather get a tuner than some subs and amps.. lol
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 98 Gt with the 460 sound system in it it wasn't very good now I have an 06 GT with the shacker 500 system I like it a lot better.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lol... My Rockford Fosgate 6x8s(not amplified yet), alpine head unit, alpine type r 12, and alpine amp sounds better than a friends 2003 with the Mach1000 system... The mustang factory systems suck.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can buy replacment OEM setups (that still work good) and just bolt them in if you wanted to save you money~ the stock mach 460 is decent~ for the most part
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

my Mach460 didn't sound bad . but the cd kept jammin' so I replaced the whole thing , with speakers, amps ,head unit and a sub ........
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I replaced my head unit and speakers. Mine would turn the music all the way up when I was trying to turn it down. I now have a Clarion touchscreen iPod player and some pioneer speakers.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
Lol... My Rockford Fosgate 6x8s(not amplified yet), alpine head unit, alpine type r 12, and alpine amp sounds better than a friends 2003 with the Mach1000 system... The mustang factory systems suck.
They don't suck. They were good for factory when they came out. There just out dated just like anything else that came out 5-15 years ago
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx

They don't suck. They were good for factory when they came out. There just out dated just like anything else that came out 5-15 years ago
Idk, in the audio world, even then as you can look through old forums and see for yourself, they were kind of a joke. Great for the average listener, but subpar to just about anything aftermarket.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Even the new mach500 and mach1000 systems are being bashed as being crappy systems... Yes they are much improved from the sn95 years, but still, for the extra money it's not worth it. You pay the same and get good deals off amazon, eBay, etc, and install it yourself, youll have a ridiculously better system.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Even the new mach500 and mach1000 systems are being bashed as being crappy systems... Yes they are much improved from the sn95 years, but still, for the extra money it's not worth it. You pay the same and get good deals off amazon, eBay, etc, and install it yourself, youll have a ridiculously better system.
As an example, a friend has an 08gt with the Shaker1000 system. The $600 ish dollars invested in my system easily compared with his, mine a tad bit better... And that's without my 4 channel amp... I do that and it's no contest. A maximum of $1000 worth of good deals will leave you with a much better system.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
As an example, a friend has an 08gt with the Shaker1000 system. The $600 ish dollars invested in my system easily compared with his, mine a tad bit better... And that's without my 4 channel amp... I do that and it's no contest. A maximum of $1000 worth of good deals will leave you with a much better system.
Makes sense.. Agreed
Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

As long as I can hear my radio it's gfood enough for me I just don't see the point of haveing 40,000 wats of power in a car stereo ,nobody else wants to hear what you are listening to , But I guess people just need the attention.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
As long as I can hear my radio it's gfood enough for me I just don't see the point of haveing 40,000 wats of power in a car stereo ,nobody else wants to hear what you are listening to , But I guess people just need the attention.
Its not just to sound loud... It's to have nice sound. Compared to your stock system, aftermarket speakers aren't just louder, they have way better sound quality. My sub isn't just to bump and let everyone know I'm coming, its to add something to the music I'm listening too. And if you've ever heard a sub tuned to just add some bass to the music, you'd love it.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: replacing mach 460 sound system in 96 gt??

Quote:
Its not just to sound loud... It's to have nice sound. Compared to your stock system, aftermarket speakers aren't just louder, they have way better sound quality. My sub isn't just to bump and let everyone know I'm coming, its to add something to the music I'm listening too. And if you've ever heard a sub tuned to just add some bass to the music, you'd love it.
i love music. and i agree that theres no point in spending money to impress people..the point is to spend the money and get something to keep yourself happy and satisfied..same as mods or accessories for your car.. whatever i do on my car i do it to satisfy my car needs lol.. but spending 1000 bucks on a sound system does seem a little much for me.. but hey everyone has and gets what they want and what they can.. and i respect that
Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

i love music. and i agree that theres no point in spending money to impress people..the point is to spend the money and get something to keep yourself happy and satisfied..same as mods or accessories for your car.. whatever i do on my car i do it to satisfy my car needs lol.. but spending 1000 bucks on a sound system does seem a little much for me.. but hey everyone has and gets what they want and what they can.. and i respect that
Have you seen the price of a premium system from the factory. It makes $1000 look like a cheap upgrade
Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked... Didn't see the cost of the shaker500 system, but over $1000 over the normal one. And the shaker1000, that only adds 2 small door subs and a pair of 10s is $1295. Give me $2300 and my system would destroy that in every aspect.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

sorry i was just basing my estimate on what another post said on this thread
Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That makes sense but there are some people who do it for attention like the guy with a 200 dollar car and a 2,000 dollar stereo.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That makes sense but there are some people who do it for attention like the guy with a 200 dollar car and a 2,000 dollar stereo.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from on that... Ha, I remember when I was looking on YouTube for videos of the sub I was looking at getting. I saw an old 80ish Buick with probably about $3000 of just subs and amps. It was ridiculous.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from on that... Ha, I remember when I was looking on YouTube for videos of the sub I was looking at getting. I saw an old 80ish Buick with probably about $3000 of just subs and amps. It was ridiculous.
Hehe, I work at bestbuy that 2000$ stereo is only like 700$s for me
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
Hehe, I work at bestbuy that 2000$ stereo is only like 700$s for me
You must be the guy who owns the buick in question
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You must be the guy who owns the buick in question
Lol. I bet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video