Automotive In Dash Computers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Automotive In Dash Computers?

1. I am somewhat interested in possibly installing an in-dash computer in my 86 GT.
2. I am totally ignorant of what is required or what I will need, so be easy on me and use small words.

The computer's primary use would be to interface with my AFM PMS and display realtime "dashboard" readings via the PMS software and to enable me to save the dashboard readings throughout a drive or run for better tuning information.
I would also like for it to be able to wirelessly connect to my home wireless network for software and system updates.
From what I have researched so far I need the computer, screen, power supply & a mini keyboard/mouse combo.

Anyone here have any experience with these computer's?
Know where to find them or have advice on any particular brands or options?
Is it possible to mount a small notebook PC or other style PC in the dash or to a bracket of some sort?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: California
Fiber glass a mini laptop in and call it a day you can just get a hot spot for like 20$ a month and due away with the whole center council
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
1. I am somewhat interested in possibly installing an in-dash computer in my 86 GT.
2. I am totally ignorant of what is required or what I will need, so be easy on me and use small words.

The computer's primary use would be to interface with my AFM PMS and display realtime "dashboard" readings via the PMS software and to enable me to save the dashboard readings throughout a drive or run for better tuning information.
I would also like for it to be able to wirelessly connect to my home wireless network for software and system updates.
From what I have researched so far I need the computer, screen, power supply & a mini keyboard/mouse combo.

Anyone here have any experience with these computer's?
Know where to find them or have advice on any particular brands or options?
Is it possible to mount a small notebook PC or other style PC in the dash or to a bracket of some sort?
I've seen it done on obd2 vehicles rather easy. On yours I'm not so sure. But you will need a connection from you diagnostic port to the carputer
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: Automotive In Dash Computers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
I've seen it done on obd2 vehicles rather easy. On yours I'm not so sure. But you will need a connection from you diagnostic port to the carputer
TBK,
The computer will be hooked into the AFM PMS which is tied directly into the vehicle's ECU/PCM, thus bypassing the need for a diagnostic connection.

I want to be able to use it for tuning and to save the recorded operating/run data through the PMS software on the computer.
I can hook up a laptop and do this, but normal sized laptops are too big and bulky. I just want to use some type of smaller, easier to mount computer that I can just leave in place if I want to.

I have located some Car PC's, but they are $1k -$7k in price.
Most are made for Police or Commercial vehicles. I found one way cheaper on eBay that may work, but as it is well used I am having a hard time "trusting" its operability and longevity. May have to try it anyways.

I was just hoping someone on the forums had already ventured into this area and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009 View Post
Fiber glass a mini laptop in and call it a day you can just get a hot spot for like 20$ a month and due away with the whole center council
I had considered that, but I would like the option to remove it for repairs or replacement if/when necessary.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
Fiberglass it to the dash and screw it in so when you must repair it" which should be rare" you can just unscrew it. Just use the small *** laptops I was going to do this to my 96 gt and I was going to have a USB input in my glove box so I can hook up a DVD/cd drive if needed and for music run 2 amps
1) highs)
2)low.
And just run them both to your laptop
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

If the PMS software will work on a mac I would put in an IPad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video