Need ideas for Fox stereo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Need ideas for Fox stereo

Just like the title says, I am looking for some ideas on the trunk layout. I do not need to use the trunk for anything so the entire space is usable. My layout is pretty basic and boring. I am thinking of mounting the sub so you can see the magnet sticking out but not sure of the benefits or drawbacks to this. If you uys could post some pics of your trunks that would be great. By the way I have a coupe so those photos are the ones I'm really looking for but any ideas are better than none. Thanks.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: California
You looking for fiberglass job?
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Having the magnets showing is probably not good for sound quality I'd mount them correctly
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88
Having the magnets showing is probably not good for sound quality I'd mount them correctly
It makes it sound like **** it's like putting them in a sound proof box it just going to rattle
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88
They sound the exact same... I mounted my alpine type r like that for a little bit, and all you can hear is a little mechanical noise, but only if you listen very carefully. Seriously guys, stop making statements that you don't have experience with.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

They sound the exact same... I mounted my alpine type r like that for a little bit, and all you can hear is a little mechanical noise, but only if you listen very carefully. Seriously guys, stop making statements that you don't have experience with.
I worked at a speaker shop a fab shop n a body shop?

The speaker is what u call free flowing if it sounds the same then you don't have a ported box with I the same thing as having your speaker in a sound proof box because mdf wasn't made to rattle if properly put together n resigned

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Any sub is going to have a "boom" but that set up if just for looks u won't get the proper bang for your buck all you have to do is read the directions to your sub it says the set up in requires for max performance there just like cars requiring fine tuning

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

And you should find out what that sound was it can you you cone bottoming out
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hes not talking about doing a freeair setup. Hes talking about reverse mounting his sub... Freeair would sound like crap and can't handle power. Reverse mounted looks cool and sound good.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Road Trip!

It looks cool yea but it's basically free air I'm telling you trust me on this! The exposed coils are were most of the boom come forms if it's nots not confined and directed to leave a port then it's losing a lot of it's bass it's like and engine energy is combusted and released as power rather then then the gas exploding and not being compressed you get me?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009
It looks cool yea but it's basically free air I'm telling you trust me on this! The exposed coils are were most of the boom come forms if it's nots not confined and directed to leave a port then it's losing a lot of it's bass it's like and engine energy is combusted and released as power rather then then the gas exploding and not being compressed you get me?
Yeah, but in my case, I had my sub reverse mounted in a sealed box. So it acted as a sealed sub box. Not freeair
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Sealed is baddddddddd I been trying to tell you get a ballon n blow a little air in it inhale lightly exhale the same amount then inhale a lot the ballon will be completely airless n u won't be able to inhale anymore damaging your sub n do the samething with a water ballon inhale n exhale regularly then exhale as much as u can it will blow up to it's maximum capacity or pop symbolizing your sub now get the finest needle u can and poke a little hole and do it and you will understand that's how I was able to understand
Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so far. Still looking for some photos. Thinking of doing some fiberglass work but looking for layout ideas.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Need ideas for Fox stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
Thanks so far. Still looking for some photos. Thinking of doing some fiberglass work but looking for layout ideas.
SleepingStang, despite the opinions on Who worked at a shop or Who built speakers or Who created speakers, Reverse speakers do, sound the same, just as "LasOmbra" stated, I use to have a setup like that in a Durango I use to own, it sounded fine, you can't really tell the difference, not sure if I still have any pics of it like that left, I'll look around and see. It does however throw the balance of the Box off, and makes mounting or sitting in Trunk, akward.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
I do have a pic, I'll try to load it. Can't seem to load it on here, but if you see my "CarDomain" link, I have listed with my profile here, look in there and it's under my Durango Album.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:

Seriously guys lets run our mouth on a keyboard? Don't assume someone doesn't have experience.
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Road Trip!

I'm not trying to argue with anyone but it's something I have tons of experience with
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Okay... Well, in the end. It's been proven both ways. Sealed versus ported. But in the end, it's all opinion...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
ported sounds better but not much bass sealed sounds like crap but u can blow out your back glass.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

my opinion lol
Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00
ported sounds better but not much bass sealed sounds like crap but u can blow out your back glass.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

my opinion lol
That's pretty much opposite.. Sealed is more controlled but less sound. Ported loses some quality, but is a lot louder.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ya i did my bad
Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ya i did my bad
Ha, it's cool bro. I get what you mean.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

personlly i like ported
Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Ported is the most bang for your buck and if the box is built and resigned right the sound couldn't be any better
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

There's also one more thing to consider... My alpine type r is getting about 570watts rms so a sealed box is fine because it has plenty of power. Ported is great for smaller weaker subs to use them more efficiently.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
There's also one more thing to consider... My alpine type r is getting about 570watts rms so a sealed box is fine because it has plenty of power. Ported is great for smaller weaker subs to use them more efficiently.
Quiet the opposite sir
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No... Every audio guy I've talked too, plus crutchfield specifically say that ported is more efficient...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
My alpine type r is getting about 570watts rms so a sealed box is fine because it has plenty of power. Ported is great for smaller weaker subs to use them more .
Right it is more efficient but this is incorrect stronger subs require ports more because they require more air larger subs larger ports I'm bit trying to talk trash but type r are not strong subs there good sub don't get me wrong but if subs that cost 500$ a pop need a port to not burn why wouldn't you "weaker" subs need it if u say that weaker subs use them more?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
I hear alot of bs about ported this revers mount that and not one person had helped this dude out yet! If u want ported or seald it comes down to the music u listen to. So to properly help i need to know ur taste in music and yes i used to work and fab and install this stuff so forget all the other bs and lets lay down the right set up for u. If u listen to more rock or punk then rap sealed is the way to go but if tecno and raps ur thing ported is it for u and theres very simple reasons y. Yes when a ported sub hits its capable of a much lower tone then a seald box but requires more time to retract so it can strick again thats y rock or punk in ported boxes sounds crappy and un clean but rap hits hard and long (generally not a kick drum, there for a slower strick) and sounds really good on a ported box because u get the lower tones and deaper rumble how ever ported boxes require more cubic feet of air space inside the box there for take up more room reverse mounting started because of box space issues simple turning the sub around increases ur cubic feet of usable space within the box if ur box is tuned properlly and u flip the sub u can exceed the recomended volume of space within the box and it will not sound as good how ever if ur box is a little to small for ur sub and u flip it u will gain the nessarry volume and increase ur sound quality so we also need to know what subs ur going to run have u put any thought into that? I hope i helped some i will pop back on in a bit to see where your at.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

kicker comps are good for there low price i had 2 and a 540watt amp sounded very good in my 89 fox and a had 4 tweeters
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
I hear alot of bs about ported this revers mount that and not one person had helped this dude out yet! If u want ported or seald it comes down to the music u listen to. So to properly help i need to know ur taste in music and yes i used to work and fab and install this stuff so forget all the other bs and lets lay down the right set up for u. If u listen to more rock or punk then rap sealed is the way to go but if tecno and raps ur thing ported is it for u and theres very simple reasons y. Yes when a ported sub hits its capable of a much lower tone then a seald box but requires more time to retract so it can strick again thats y rock or punk in ported boxes sounds crappy and un clean but rap hits hard and long (generally not a kick drum, there for a slower strick) and sounds really good on a ported box because u get the lower tones and deaper rumble how ever ported boxes require more cubic feet of air space inside the box there for take up more room reverse mounting started because of box space issues simple turning the sub around increases ur cubic feet of usable space within the box if ur box is tuned properlly and u flip the sub u can exceed the recomended volume of space within the box and it will not sound as good how ever if ur box is a little to small for ur sub and u flip it u will gain the nessarry volume and increase ur sound quality so we also need to know what subs ur going to run have u put any thought into that? I hope i helped some i will pop back on in a bit to see where your at.
Wth? It doesn't matter sealed or ported there's dials on your amps and radio to adjust to your liking wether you want to push it to rap or slow jams. Sealed burns ur sub and suffocates it ported allows it to breath and makes it louder because it directs it to the port

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Im pretty sure Las0mbra and I can agree on that?

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote:
kicker comps are good for there low price i had 2 and a 540watt amp sounded very good in my 89 fox and a had 4 tweeters
I had 2 12" cvr in a custom competition box with a huge port all my windows were flexing and I broke my first indash haha
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009

Wth? It doesn't matter sealed or ported there's dials on your amps and radio to adjust to your liking wether you want to push it to rap or slow jams. Sealed burns ur sub and suffocates it ported allows it to breath and makes it louder because it directs it to the port

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Im pretty sure Las0mbra and I can agree on that?

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I had 2 12" cvr in a custom competition box with a huge port all my windows were flexing and I broke my first indash haha
Obviouslly someones pissed in ur corn flakes! Yes the dials allow for fine tuning but u cant make a bat a bird my friend and every sub has specs on required box space for sealed or ported. The reason the r better with seald boxs in the rock/punk senerio is because the air within the box helps the sub reset there for making it happen faster in ported boxes u relie solly on the electricity passing through the coil to reset the sub and it takes longer for the sub to move back into position to strick again thats y punk sounds like poo on a ported box and if u tell me u like the way it sounds then u have no taste in quality sound.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

The only thing that burns ur sub is if ur not running enough room within ur box.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

Obviouslly someones pissed in ur corn flakes! Yes the dials allow for fine tuning but u cant make a bat a bird my friend and every sub has specs on required box space for sealed or ported. The reason the r better with seald boxs in the rock/punk senerio is because the air within the box helps the sub reset there for making it happen faster in ported boxes u relie solly on the electricity passing through the coil to reset the sub and it takes longer for the sub to move back into position to strick again thats y punk sounds like poo on a ported box and if u tell me u like the way it sounds then u have no taste in quality sound.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

The only thing that burns ur sub is if ur not running enough room within ur box.
Idk who taught you what you no but it's not right your limited to what you can do with a sealed box you can't go wrong with a ported one idk who pissed in your mouth but you should probably shut it I wasn't even trying to start an argument
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

what i had was the cheapest ones and i was beaten 15 and 12s that where better in beat up comps
Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #33
Road Trip!

I like the versatility of 12 in they can handle most everything well so long as u dont skimp on quality
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok this is getting a bit out if hand and I did not intend to have people arguing about sealed vs. ported. For what it's worth I have a Polk db 10" sub powered right now by a 250 watt Lightning Audio amp. That sub is in a sealed box at this time as I have always heard that you get tighter bass from sealed as opposed to ported. As I initially said I do not want to wake the neighbors, I just want nice tight bass (rock, metal and rarely some r&b or rap). The rest of my system is pioneer and infinity speakers. I think the sound is pretty good now as all of the speakers minus dash are powered by kenwood amps. I really wanted to see your layouts to get some ideas on cool things to do and placement as I can't afford what my neighbor spends on his ($8000) to have someone else do it. I have a simple amp rack and box I built but want a cleaner install. I'll post pics of what I have when I get home from work to show you what I mean. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Need ideas for Fox stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Hawk, that was good Info you said, he's an suggestion for some: Go check out an Audio/Sound show or compition, and while you are there asked the owners what setup they are using, that way you can hear and see what does what. Just an idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video