replacing stock system... want input - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Taywi
replacing stock system... want input

ok... heres my idea... i want to get a new Kenwood KDC-MP435U head unit... two premier 6x8" 3-way speakers for the doors... and a 1000Watt MTX xthunder amp running an MTX 7500 12"

anyone know anything about MTX... cause i only want to spend my money once.. its either MTX or Kicker for me... so please give me some consumer review on anything i'm thinking of putting in

from old and busted to new hotness
Taywi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: replacing stock system... want input

:feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback::feedback:

Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hello????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taywi View Post
Hello????
:wave2:
Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

I had MTX and JL's ...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I like Kicker better

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I use to buy MTX and Eclipse products.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

did ya'll like your MTX products?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

^ Yes. I had a badass MTX amp.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

anyone know if their subwoofers are worth the money.. and if they live up to the hype

Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taywi View Post
anyone know if their subwoofers are worth the money.. and if they live up to the hype
Their a good sub. I'm not says that their better than all other brands, but you would go wrong with them either. Back when I was young they sucked. I had Eclipse subs.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Their a good sub. I'm not says that their better than all other brands, but you would go wrong with them either. Back when I was young they sucked. I had Eclipse subs.
Damn...you need to proof read your **** before you post it. You just said they were good, and then said he would go wrong with them.

And...it is they are which = they're...not their. ugh.

So which is it...are they good or bad or average?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Damn...you need to proof read your **** before you post it. You just said they were good, and then said he would go wrong with them.

And...it is they are which = they're...not their. ugh.

So which is it...are they good or bad or average?
Easy killa. You should know that I trying to say "can't go wrong." You don't need to get all nasty about it.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Get eclipse.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

I have no opinion on the subs or amp but, I have the same Kenwood head unit and I love it. It is very versitile. Tons of adjustments for all ranges and even sub control!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I got the Eclipse CD3100.... you can find pics on here somewhere, but yeah, it's a pretty nice head unit. Lots of potential for system building.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

+1 with lowflyn... Eclipse makes really good stuff, but I would recommend another bbrand, too - try Image Dynamics. they might be a little more, but are more than worth the money. Ive got an IDQ10.2 in my 'stang that I wound up with cheaper than you could buy a new one... It and every other ID product I've ever heard has sounded phenomenal.

They also have some of the greatest customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Its a small california-based company and I've even talked to the president a few times on the phone a few times while they worked on the sub I sent them for a rebuild ( I got it with burned Voice Coils) They had a backorder on the parts that they needed, and because of the delay, they fixed my sub, and didnt charge me a dime. I've also seen some of their products pushed way beyond the limit and held up better than any of your regular everyday sub.

anyway, enough of that... why you going with Pioneer 6x8's?

Next question - what is your goal with the setup? SQ? SPL? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sub box do you intend to use?
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

I am very partial to Clarion Pro Audio head units but Esclipse, Alpine and Pioneer are also very good depending on the model you get. Not a big fan of Kenwood, They are living off their long gone past reputation. They are not what they once were. Speakers are a different sort. There are many good speakers but I dont put Pioneer in that group. They are average at best. Speakers are best picked through actually listening to them. everyones ear is different and speakers are the most critical part of a system in terms of what will make you happy. It is not how loud a speaker can get it is how clean it can stay at higher settings.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
+1 with lowflyn... Eclipse makes really good stuff, but I would recommend another bbrand, too - try Image Dynamics. they might be a little more, but are more than worth the money. Ive got an IDQ10.2 in my 'stang that I wound up with cheaper than you could buy a new one... It and every other ID product I've ever heard has sounded phenomenal.

They also have some of the greatest customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Its a small california-based company and I've even talked to the president a few times on the phone a few times while they worked on the sub I sent them for a rebuild ( I got it with burned Voice Coils) They had a backorder on the parts that they needed, and because of the delay, they fixed my sub, and didnt charge me a dime. I've also seen some of their products pushed way beyond the limit and held up better than any of your regular everyday sub.

anyway, enough of that... why you going with Pioneer 6x8's?

Next question - what is your goal with the setup? SQ? SPL? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sub box do you intend to use?

I'm going with pioneer 6x8 cause i heard then in the store and like the quality... but if anyone can give me more types i should go after please tell me.... and i'm looking for good quality sound... without extremely high high frequency sound... but i want my lows really low.. but i'm on a budget of about 1k with it all said and done... and i want everythin to look good including the subwoofer i don't want a rubber looking blacked out cone... i like the metal cone look

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

look on ebay for the subwoofers and amp if needed. all sorts of them are listed. you dont need to buy from ebay but as far as looking good there are some good ideas on there.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

well, a 6x8 is never gonna give you the sound reproduction that a round one would. I would recommend going to a round speaker (preferably a component set) up front, in either a set of q forms, or make your own kick panel speaker pods, out of fiberglass/mdf.

You can get those component sets in either round speakers, like I'm talking about
Infinity Reference 5010cs 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
-This is a great start for you... one of the cheaper reference series, since you are on a budget - you need to decide if you want to use an external amplifier, or if you plan on running the front channels off of the HU. These are rated from 2-75 Watts, and are very sensitve - 91db, which means that you dont have to work them as hard to get good sound from them.

Another option that I'd say would be a good idea is a 5x7 component set, which would allow you to run components, without having to build or buy kick panel pods.
Heres a good set, but they are a bit more pricy than just your average, everyday coaxial setup:
Infinity Reference 6820cs 5"x7"/6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
heres another setup from JBL:
JBL Grand Touring Series GTO8607C 5"x7"/6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
-I actually like these more, because the tweeter is made of a better matierial

In case you are wondering, a component setup is the way to go, for better sound quality - It allows you to position the tweeters and/or the the mids so that you get the best possible imaging and clarity. Component setups usually allow you a bit of further adjustability, with the addition of the crossovers included with the setup, allowing you further fine-tuning to get everything just the way you like it.

Something else you need to consider - with your car being a convertible, you are looking at tons of road/wind noise. In order to overcome that, you are gonna need wattage, and lots of it, to get quality reproduction of your tunes. If you werent planning on running any amplification to the door speakers, you had best get the headunit with the most rms that you can, as well as one of the top peak watts.

I know you have said something about a kenwood, but I'm gonna make a recommendation here - Id suggest going to an alpine - They have incredibly clear displays, and are fairly easy to navigate, without all the buttons the kenwood has. I like kenwood headunits, but they can be a PITA to operate, and adjust. ive had 3 alpines now, and have loved every one of them. Ive had pioneers, blaupunkts, a clarion or two, and have played with almost every other one that you'd see in everyday life. I'm an alpine man hands down, but everyone else has their reasons for liking the other ones.

On your subs, It's all up to you - there is a lot to be said about quality of sound from a sub, but a lot has to do with the box design and setup as well. I'm keen on sealed boxes, for their tight, clean bass reproduction, with little to no noise. They dont go aas low as say a bandpass, but the sealed is TONS cleaner. If you want to go ported, try to go with a slot ported box, which is prone to quite a bit less port noise. With that said, where are you planning on putting a box?

I've got to do some research on sub design before i get further with any advice there, so keep your eyes peeled.

i know there are a lot of references to crutchfield - i used them, becuase they are easy to find, have great customer service, and will walk you through your install, step by step.

Another thing of mention, when it comes to sound equipment, is dont be afraid to pick up something used, as long as you know it is in good working condition, and has been taken care of. If you'll check ebay, you'll see a lot of guys who are selling off sound gear cheap, because they are trading in their car, and want to just sell off their stuff. That's where I've gotten everyone of my alpine headunits, and have had good success with it. If you can pick up a damaged sub (like I did), and have it rebuilt, you can save yourself a ton of cash. You can also possibly do the same thing with your components as well. there are lots of situations where stuff gets sent in for repairs, but the customer either decides they dont want to pay for the repairs, or changes their mind, and the companies sell their refurbished stuff CHEAP.

Last recommendation: DO IT YOURSELF! If you havent installed a car stereo before, take this time to do it yourself, and save some money, and learn a little bit. It's really not that complicated, and you can buy tool kits that make the job easy.

anyway, hope all this helps, and ask me anything - if idont know it, i can find out!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Nominated for most informative reply of the year? haha, wow dude. Hopefully you can answer my next car audio questions

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

eh, I try

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

A5295 thanks for all the help... i have one question and a problem i've been running into while going through this in my head.... SPACE... i have very little space in the trunk where i want to put the sub... any ideas???

Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

how about rear seat elimination!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

thats what I was wondering about... With the 'vert top hardware, there is little space to give for almost any kind of sub enclosure... What I recommend you do is build a couple of fiberglass enclosures that would fit in the corners, right behind your taillights, to conserve as much space as you can. When you decide on the sub, you need to get the specs, so that you can see what size the box needs to be, and try to build it as closely as you can to them, in order for the sub to sound right. Here is where you are going to have to do some soul-searching and decide where you want to make any kind of sacrifice, in order to get the sound you desire.

Sledgehammer also has an idea, if you havent considered it... Eliminating the rear seat gives you the ability to do pretty much what you want with the space back there. You can use the space provided by the rear seat delete to build both an amp rack, and a sub enclosure. Ive seen a couple of SN95's done that way, and it doesnt look bad at all - I'll do some more thinking and see what i come up with, though.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

better yet...scrap the system and put something useful on/in the car to increase the performace of the sixxer...i.e. gears, t-lock, etc...sound systems are a nice accessory, but I would save that for one of the last things to be done...just me $.02...:dunno:
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Its a smartass comment but y'all give out a lot of change around here.

Thats my $0.02.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Hey will...I may come up with some enclosures for Convertibles after I mess with the new car for a bit. You saw the way they're setup in my white car and I'm gonna try and follow something similar to that but with a little more space saving in mind.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Hey will...I may come up with some enclosures for Convertibles after I mess with the new car for a bit. You saw the way they're setup in my white car and I'm gonna try and follow something similar to that but with a little more space saving in mind.
details please... what new car? and what are we talkin

Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

will, there is more room than i originally thought avail in the trunk, but I do still see your dilemma. a custom FG/MDF enclosure would probably work best, but I also saw something recently from QLogic that might do just the trick. Its a molded box designed to fit in side of your trunk. Cant remember where i saw it, but it would definately be worth looking into.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
will, there is more room than i originally thought avail in the trunk, but I do still see your dilemma. a custom FG/MDF enclosure would probably work best, but I also saw something recently from QLogic that might do just the trick. Its a molded box designed to fit in side of your trunk. Cant remember where i saw it, but it would definately be worth looking into.
try and remember where you saw it i would really like to know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video