12V Relay Brake Bypass? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
12V Relay Brake Bypass?

So I'm having a little difficulty with the 12v Relay parking brake bypass "hack." I'm almost positive I have the correct wires at the correct places. I have terminals 86&87 with a ground, have terminal 30 with the parking brake wire, and terminal 85 is amprelay/turn on.

Basically this bypass is a more permanent and "sophisticated" way to bypass the issue of parking brake needing to be engaged to watch videos on newer models of touchscreen head units. Only reason I have o do all of this instead of simply grounding it is because newer models have a sensor that can tell when the parking brake cable is on a permanent ground instead of the parking brake so when it sense that it automatically gives the "Cannot view while driving" error. Only way around this is (simple way) installing a toggle switch in the parking brake wire and grounding the wire to a normal ground and simpy flipping the switch on while driving to simulate the parking brake being engaged, which will fool the system because it technically wasn't grounded at start-up.
Second option is the cleaner" and more l33t way to do it, but also more complicated. The relay, as I described, acts on the unit's power distribution timing. When the car is turned on and the unit powers up, there is roughly a three second delay between the power up and the unit sending power to the amp. The relay plays on this by being hooked into the amp wire which will power the relay after startup thus tricking the system into recognizing a "new" ground like the parking brake being engaged. It's pretty simple but hard to explain unless you know car audio...

I think my problem(still getting cannot view while driving error) is that I grounded the relay with its own ground, and grounded the unit with a separate ground. Before I pull it all out ad start rewiring again, my hunch is that the relay's ground has to be spliced back into the unit's ground, else it won't recognize properly. Anyone have any input or ideas/suggestions? Even questions would be welcomed.

Btw, I have a 2010 version of Pioneer's AVH3300BT touchscreen.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Just ground the wire that is suppose to be tied into the parking brake that's all it is is a ground.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake
Just ground the wire that is suppose to be tied into the parking brake that's all it is is a ground.
Like I stated above that won't work. The unit has a sensor that reads it's grounded at startup and will trigger the error.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You say the relay is a 12v. If I'm understanding you right then find which wire on that relay is 12v then attach it to a 12v source prefferably one that comes on when the car is on n off when u kill the car. Then ground the other appropriate wires. There may be two 12v wires into the relay so tie them together. Let me know I've never fooled with the relay your talkin about. Just trick the sensor
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 12V Relay Brake Bypass?

Ok, I'm not an expert on stereo stuff, but here is a drawing I put together from information I researched on Google.

Notice: Use at your own risk, but it looks like it will work to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Bypass Relay Wiring.jpg
Views:	43147
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	39108  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Trojan horse I think your right on that that's what I tried to explain but a picture is a lot better of an explanation that should work
Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
Trojan horse I think your right on that that's what I tried to explain but a picture is a lot better of an explanation that should work
I was pretty sure it is correct, but I'd sure hate to be the cause of someone damaging something.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Ok, I'm not an expert on stereo stuff, but here is a drawing I put together from information I researched on Google.

Notice: Use at your own risk, but it looks like it will work to me.
That's exactly how I have it wired.

Problem I think is that I have the relay separately grounded by itself. What I think I need to do is splice it back in to the unit's primary ground. What do y'all think?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
That's exactly how I have it wired.

Problem I think is that I have the relay separately grounded by itself. What I think I need to do is splice it back in to the unit's primary ground. What do y'all think?
From what I researched those two terminals on the relay just need to go to a "common" ground.
A common ground can be described as the grounding for the vehicles entire electrical system.
Pretty much wherever you ground something in a car, you will be connecting into the common grounding system. (I.E., the battery, frame, engine, etc., etc..)

Unless you removed a ground from the primary system, I don't think it will make any difference, but you can certainly try that.

Check the powered (+ Positive) wires in your connections and make sure you are getting power to the relay from the sources indicated when they are activated.

Make sure your grounds are all properly connected and making good contact at all connection points. Start with the negative battery cable and follow through to the engine, frame and bodywork of the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video