Bypassing mach 460 amps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bypassing mach 460 amps

My Mach 460 amps are blown on my 98 vert. Can I by pass them and hook up my Mach 460 speakers directly to my aftermarket head unit? The audio tech advised me not too, but he also tried to charge me 400 for installing new speakers, so I don't know if he was lying to me just to try to sell me some or if this is a bad idea. Any help?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
My Mach 460 amps are blown on my 98 vert. Can I by pass them and hook up my Mach 460 speakers directly to my aftermarket head unit? The audio tech advised me not too, but he also tried to charge me 400 for installing new speakers, so I don't know if he was lying to me just to try to sell me some or if this is a bad idea. Any help?
Junk yard and see if u can find a amp..to buy a new harness for it is expensive...how did u blow ur amp?
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well I can find some online for about 80 for the pair but the guy told me that most likely the same thing will happen again. And well I didn't blow them the past owner did. I alway just thought it was my head unit because it's very old. So I took it to the shop and the guy checked everything out for me and the problem ended up being the amps. So it's not worth by passing the amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I can find some online for about 80 for the pair but the guy told me that most likely the same thing will happen again. And well I didn't blow them the past owner did. I alway just thought it was my head unit because it's very old. So I took it to the shop and the guy checked everything out for me and the problem ended up being the amps. So it's not worth by passing the amps?
I think it would work but not as good with amps...but I ain't no audio expert
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Robertoonizer has pictures he drew showing how to bypass the amps, I'm sure he will chime in. I bypassed my door speaker amps with one of the pictures he drew, it was pretty easy.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Robertoonizer has pictures he drew showing how to bypass the amps, I'm sure he will chime in. I bypassed my door speaker amps with one of the pictures he drew, it was pretty easy.
How was sound after?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50

How was sound after?
It sounded good, a lot like the stock sound but more refined for sure. I drove around a solid 3/4 of a year without them so I noticed a bit of a better mid and high range sound afterwards.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've never done it, but I know people that have. Keep in mind the Mach 460 runs on 3 ohms. Most aftermarket head units/Amps/speakers are 1, 2, or 4 ohm. Thus you can't swap different speakers in with the stock system. Now your aftermarket head unit may have a built in amp to it, and will work with by passing the amps. But honestly I think he guy who tried to sell you a 400 dollar new system may have been on the right track. If your looking for better quality I'd go with a new system. Otherwise get the amps of eBay/craigslist and plug them in. They could last a month or a few years pending on how loud you play them. Let me also say I'm not an audio expert, this is just what I've learned from others over the years.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
I've never done it, but I know people that have. Keep in mind the Mach 460 runs on 3 ohms. Most aftermarket head units/Amps/speakers are 1, 2, or 4 ohm. Thus you can't swap different speakers in with the stock system. Now your aftermarket head unit may have a built in amp to it, and will work with by passing the amps. But honestly I think he guy who tried to sell you a 400 dollar new system may have been on the right track. If your looking for better quality I'd go with a new system. Otherwise get the amps of eBay/craigslist and plug them in. They could last a month or a few years pending on how loud you play them. Let me also say I'm not an audio expert, this is just what I've learned from others over the years.
The Mach 460 has 3 amps in complete sys...1 for door speakers and tweets and 1 for back speakers and tweets and one for the head unit...I believe
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the system comes with 3 amps. I think your right as fat as what runs what

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've not checked mine yet but are you sure its not 2 amps and a crossover? An amp going to the head unit doesn't make any sense. Unless its a small amp for door speakers a small amp for back and 1 more for the tweeters.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It's three. The third one under the head unit covers the speakers. The other two cover the subs in the stock system, I believe. But it's definately three

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I will check it out in the morning, im intrigued as to how it is set up. I have some hids to install and get ready for my subs.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Cool let us know how it turns out!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up having to replace my deck because it was also fried. And I got a good deal on some speakers so I just replaced all four and got 2 12s. The guy told me 6x8 would fit and they did but not in the BAK. I had to do some cutting. I removed the whole Mach 460 system and just set it up on my own. It sounds pretty good. Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal! Glad you like it

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
Good deal! Glad you like it
Awsome!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Bypassing mach 460 amps

I would say go completely Aftermarket. I have 2 6x9's and 2 6 1/2s wired up to an amp as well as 2 12" subs to another. All running to my deck. It sounds Way better that Mach 460 or Mach 1 or any stock-ish sound setup. As far as That goes, Then Everything gets easier. custom installs, universal power and speaker setups, etc...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I figured if I was going to bypass part of the Mach 460 then might as well just get rid of the whole thing. How do your speakers sound with an amp hooked up to it? My speakers are rated to 350 so I was planning on hooking up a separate amp to the speakers and one for the subs. Does it make much difference on the speakers tho?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I figured if I was going to bypass part of the Mach 460 then might as well just get rid of the whole thing. How do your speakers sound with an amp hooked up to it? My speakers are rated to 350 so I was planning on hooking up a separate amp to the speakers and one for the subs. Does it make much difference on the speakers tho?
They make a Huge difference. I have Hertz speakers RATED at 170 for the 6x9s and 90 for the 6 1/2s but with my amp, i can bump my speakers up to 225 or 230 for the 6x9 and about 150 for the 6 1/2s. They are Phenomenal speakers. I hear them everyday and will never go back to anything else. At least for midrange and tweeters. I have 2 fosgate 12" subs that i only need to run 300 to because that gives me the Perfect amount of bass for the sound. AND with amps to the speakers, you can get Real loud. Now... It all depend on the quality of speaker. RMS ratings are crap to me. I only go by sound quality. If you have a big enough Amp WITHIN REASON, you can push your speakers quite a bit more that the rms rating. Just dont go on a roadtrip running speakers rated 150 and pushing them to 225 the whole trip. Thats gonna wear them out. Quickly. But if your just goin around town, have at it. Factory decks have the amp in them, and it creates alot of distortion Before the RMS rating... Ask me for more answers..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness

They make a Huge difference. I have Hertz speakers RATED at 170 for the 6x9s and 90 for the 6 1/2s but with my amp, i can bump my speakers up to 225 or 230 for the 6x9 and about 150 for the 6 1/2s. They are Phenomenal speakers. I hear them everyday and will never go back to anything else. At least for midrange and tweeters. I have 2 fosgate 12" subs that i only need to run 300 to because that gives me the Perfect amount of bass for the sound. AND with amps to the speakers, you can get Real loud. Now... It all depend on the quality of speaker. RMS ratings are crap to me. I only go by sound quality. If you have a big enough Amp WITHIN REASON, you can push your speakers quite a bit more that the rms rating. Just dont go on a roadtrip running speakers rated 150 and pushing them to 225 the whole trip. Thats gonna wear them out. Quickly. But if your just goin around town, have at it. Factory decks have the amp in them, and it creates alot of distortion Before the RMS rating... Ask me for more answers..
Thanks man I really appreciate it. What kinda amp would u recommend for my speakers? And My amp that's hooked up to my subs (2 12" pioneers) is rated at 760 but it shuts off on me when I turn up the music too loud. Would a capacitor help with this? Or should I get a better amp?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Bypassing mach 460 amps

The Amp is overheating if it just shuts off. get a bigger amp. I would recommend probably just a 750w Amp. NOT FROM WALMART or some crap like that. Pioneer has pretty good amps, Rockford Fosgate ACCEL in Subs and Amps, which is why i use them. They are BY Far the best company for your sub and amp needs.. but Thats just me. I've been with them for years and theres never a need to switch to something new. A little spendy, but Totally worth it. As for the subs, I generally stick with matching brands and i know pioneer makes good amps and subs. get a 800w or a tad higher amp because its always better to go with a little more power to the amp, than running the amp on full power and melting something, or wearing it down to nothin. A capacitor only helps with retaining some power like for when your headlights dim a bit when the bass hits. that kinda thing.. it helps a little but not a Ton of need for it... I would Definitely suggest a fosgate amp for the speakers though.. probably a 300w 4 channel amp if you know all your speakers can handle At least that much. go higher if you need to... 2 12" pioneers i thought ran maybe 250w rms each.. They don't go that high even if they say so... I don't know what kind you have though..
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I'd also like to throw in hifonics they make 1200watt Amps now that are cea rated.

Also, alpine, amazing quality and sound. I have a type-r 12", an alpine 500watt amp, and an alpine headunit, All perfect
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
I'd also like to throw in hifonics they make 1200watt Amps now that are cea rated.

Also, alpine, amazing quality and sound. I have a type-r 12", an alpine 500watt amp, and an alpine headunit, All perfect
I can agree. Alpine makes pretty good subs and amps. Their speakers i can do with out though.. You can definitely tell the difference compared to mine! Those 3 main brands and maybe so JL Audio are the best to choose from. You Wont be disappointed...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Amp is overheating if it just shuts off. get a bigger amp. I would recommend probably just a 750w Amp. NOT FROM WALMART or some crap like that. Pioneer has pretty good amps, Rockford Fosgate ACCEL in Subs and Amps, which is why i use them. They are BY Far the best company for your sub and amp needs.. but Thats just me. I've been with them for years and theres never a need to switch to something new. A little spendy, but Totally worth it. As for the subs, I generally stick with matching brands and i know pioneer makes good amps and subs. get a 800w or a tad higher amp because its always better to go with a little more power to the amp, than running the amp on full power and melting something, or wearing it down to nothin. A capacitor only helps with retaining some power like for when your headlights dim a bit when the bass hits. that kinda thing.. it helps a little but not a Ton of need for it... I would Definitely suggest a fosgate amp for the speakers though.. probably a 300w 4 channel amp if you know all your speakers can handle At least that much. go higher if you need to... 2 12" pioneers i thought ran maybe 250w rms each.. They don't go that high even if they say so... I don't know what kind you have though..
Yeah I'm not sure what kind they are because I bought them already installed so I don't have the box. They are blue and say pioneer on the center. Lol. I need to research more info on them though to see what amp to buy. I believe the guy from the shop said they were about 1200 combined. And yeah fosgate alpine and JL are probably the best. I just have these for now because that's all my wallet allowed at the time haha. I have a friend that has 2 10" JLs and they hit harder than my 12"s lol. I'll probably just sell my current amp and get my self something bigger and better then. Do u know where I can find that fosgate amp for my speakers? Other than eBay. Lol
Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I'm not sure what kind they are because I bought them already installed so I don't have the box. They are blue and say pioneer on the center. Lol. I need to research more info on them though to see what amp to buy. I believe the guy from the shop said they were about 1200 combined. And yeah fosgate alpine and JL are probably the best. I just have these for now because that's all my wallet allowed at the time haha. I have a friend that has 2 10" JLs and they hit harder than my 12"s lol. I'll probably just sell my current amp and get my self something bigger and better then. Do u know where I can find that fosgate amp for my speakers? Other than eBay. Lol
Any audio store that has quality stuff has them. I live in Boise and the store i have here is Aspen Sound. They Only sell quality stuff.. But most stores that accel in audio would have them. Maybe BestBuy? Make Sure its a 4 channel though.. Punch series is the best for speakers. You Can get more expensive and get the T series but for a few speakers, youll be fine with Punch. The JLs definitely hit hard, but i find myself preferring Fosgates power series or Punch series because of the tightness of the bass and if it needs to be powerful, it can be.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Any audio store that has quality stuff has them. I live in Boise and the store i have here is Aspen Sound. They Only sell quality stuff.. But most stores that accel in audio would have them. Maybe BestBuy? Make Sure its a 4 channel though.. Punch series is the best for speakers. You Can get more expensive and get the T series but for a few speakers, youll be fine with Punch. The JLs definitely hit hard, but i find myself preferring Fosgates power series or Punch series because of the tightness of the bass and if it needs to be powerful, it can be.
Thanks for the info man! Once i can sell my amp I'll buy my fosgate amp and let u guys know how it sounds. Thanks for all the help
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the info man! Once i can sell my amp I'll buy my fosgate amp and let u guys know how it sounds. Thanks for all the help
Forsure man! Anytime. I am interested in knowing how it all sounds!!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Forsure man! Anytime. I am interested in knowing how it all sounds!!
Thanks brother!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks brother!
Ill show you a pic of my setup here tomorrow probably. Im running 2 12" punch series Fosgates with a 300w amp. I am keeping it pretty low because they each handle 250 rms but until i get that amp for my speakers, thats all i need. Im running 4 Hertz speakers, which to me sound Phenomenal. Like ridiculously. And im going the next stage here soon. Once i get my mechanical situations figured out... It looks sweet though! Im not sure if i said all that previously in the thread but oh well haha
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ill show you a pic of my setup here tomorrow probably. Im running 2 12" punch series Fosgates with a 300w amp. I am keeping it pretty low because they each handle 250 rms but until i get that amp for my speakers, thats all i need. Im running 4 Hertz speakers, which to me sound Phenomenal. Like ridiculously. And im going the next stage here soon. Once i get my mechanical situations figured out... It looks sweet though! Im not sure if i said all that previously in the thread but oh well haha
Great man thanks I'll definitely stay posted to check it out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video